Hill Climb Tips

Richie G
Richie G Posts: 283
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Have decided to have a go at a hill climb this sunday. First one i've ever done, wondered if anyone had any tips? Obviously no time left for any special training, although will probably go home the hilly way the next few days! Was interested to know how people approach these events- Stay in the saddle and spin or out of the saddle? It's at Harby Hill in Leics, listed as 1050 yards.

Cheers
Rich

Comments

• Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I did one a couple of Sundays ago.

Do whatever suits really. Sprinting up hills is knackering so do whatever seems best to keep your speed up. I tend to stay seated if the gradient is shallow, say 4% ish, and stand if it steepens and I'm losing speed.

Don't forget to stay warmed up before the start and just give it your best shot.
  • Richie G
    Cheers for that. I normally try and stay seated if i can- my speedo suggests i go slightly faster that way! If i get out the saddle i feel like i'm going faster but genrally aren't! :lol: Thinking i might ride there (it's about 25 miles), hoping that should give me decent warm up. Apparently they have race downhill first! What's that all about?
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    If you can get hold of a copy, there was a whole article specifically on hill climbs in C+ either this month or last.

Think the jist of it was make your bike as light as possible and try to practice the course first... although there was probably a little more to it.
  • Pedal like f*ck :P would be my considere advice.

Yep, i can be as useful as a chocolate kettle sometimes.
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • If it’s a long hill and varying, I find breaking it up helps.

For most part I stay in saddle and get into rhythm. If gradient ups a bit, or indeed drops, knock it up a gear and stand of a short while. Then drop down gear and return to saddle. Just varies the pain, and makes it more interesting.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I'd recommend riding the hill at least once or twice tomorrow, if you can get to it. You don't have to gun it, but go fairly hard to get an idea of how long it'll take you, where the steep parts are, etc. Get out of the saddle when it gets steep, otherwise stay in. See what sort of gears you can use without your cadence dropping too much. I like to climb at between 80-90rpm, and that involves low gears.

At this stage, you're not going to get much fitter before the weekend so that's one less thing to worry about :D But make sure you are well rested going into it, having a few easy days before the event.

On the day, a 25 mile warm up will certainly get you warm but it might take the edge off you for such a short race. I normally do about 5-10 miles, spending a few minutes at about 80% of my max to get my heart rate up. Make sure you roll up to the start line with a few minutes to spare.

When you start, get up to speed quickly (10-15 seconds) but don't sprint full gas. Then settle down and concentrate on your cadence, breathing, etc. Don't overcook it in the early stages. Your heart and lungs will catch up, don't worry. As you get towards the top, try to change up through the gears and really sprint. If you do it right, you'll be seeing stars. :shock:

Then spend the next hour wondering when you'll stop seeing stars, while sipping a cup of tea and eating some cake at the HQ. See how you got on when the times are posted.

Enjoy the atmosphere on the day - it's pretty cool. You'll normally get a few cheers from those who've already finished their ride, or those who enjoy watching others suffer.

This is what i've learned from doing three a grand total of hill climbs. Doing the nationals on Sunday and very much looking forward to it!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Is that the one up Cheddar Gorge? There's only one steep bit, a left-hander about 1/3rd of the way up, otherwise it is just a long drag of a climb – unlike the Catford CC's Yorks Hill climb last Sunday. You can ride it on the big ring. The top end is false flat, but exposed ground so if there is a strong headwind the final will be hell by that point.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you're still standing after you crossed the line - you've not gone hard enough! Lungs will possibly be worn outside not in....Hill climbs are maximal effort and generally on anything steeper than 10% you should be out of the saddle - you just can't get sufficient power down whilst seated. As John says, try and ride the course beforehand to get a feel for the changes in gradient, gears etc.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Jeff Jones
    ricadus wrote:
    Is that the one up Cheddar Gorge? There's only one steep bit, a left-hander about 1/3rd of the way up, otherwise it is just a long drag of a climb – unlike the Catford CC's Yorks Hill climb last Sunday. You can ride it on the big ring. The top end is false flat, but exposed ground so if there is a strong headwind the final will be hell by that point.
    Yes, that's the one. I've done it quite a bit in training and have decided to ride the TT bike. The aero benefit will be worth the extra kilo, IMO. If this weather holds, it should be a tailwind too.

I'm not so good at the shorter, steeper climbs but I think it would be fun to do the Catford/Bec double.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    jjones wrote:
    Yes, that's the one. I've done it quite a bit in training and have decided to ride the TT bike. The aero benefit will be worth the extra kilo, IMO. If this weather holds, it should be a tailwind too.
    Good luck at 11.04am on Sunday Jeff. I'll be rooting for defending Women's Champion Ann Bowditch as usual, though I think the competition is as high as it's ever been amongst the women this year.

Oh, and well done RichieG for having a go at a hill-climb too.......... you've well and truly got this TT bug haven't you? Great to see! :wink:

Ruth
  • Jeff Jones
    edited October 2007
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    jjones wrote:
    Good luck at 11.04am on Sunday Jeff. I'll be rooting for defending Women's Champion Ann Bowditch as usual, though I think the competition is as high as it's ever been amongst the women this year.
    Thanks Ruth - I'm quite looking forward to it in my usual masochistic way :D I think there'll be quite a decent crowd, which always makes it more fun. Robin Coomber (art ed on What Mountain Bike) and Paul Godfrey (art ed on Procycling), although he's first reserve, are doing it as well from our offices.

I'm not sure who to pick for the women's. Caroline Kloiber is a good tester and has just come off a pro road season. She will be hard to beat if in form.

In the men's I reckon James Dobbin will make it two in a row. Jim Henderson, David Clarke, Danny Axford and Robert Gough should all be up there. I'm hoping for a top 20 with a time around 8min if I have a good day.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • emaichael
    emaichael Posts: 109
    i recommend going as light as possible (even half water or wtever) to become even more lighter, makes the difference...
    and go on your big ring, and get into a nice rithym, and just keep going, forget about the pain, and just don't care about the pain, and after a while you wont even notice the pain from lactic acid. make sure you have plenty of bananas! and drink a liter etc of water b4 hand, hydrate your body well before hand, so u don't need to as much while on the ride. make sure everything nice and tight, for less wind resistance.... and your gears work perfectly, so your not even having to put thought into gear changing... maybe even add a tiny bit of padding on the handle bar area where your hands pressure points are because of your body weight, when your standing up on the hill.... so you can stay in the same efficient position longer...
  • BeaconRuth
    jjones wrote:
    Thanks Ruth - I'm quite looking forward to it in my usual masochistic way :D I think there'll be quite a decent crowd, which always makes it more fun. Robin Coomber (art ed on What Mountain Bike) is doing it as well, another one from our offices.
    I'd be surprised if Cheddar wasn't packed out with cyclists and spectators. Having the whole section of road closed and solely for cyclists' and spectators' use is going to help create a fantastic atmosphere.
    I'm not sure who to pick for the women's. Caroline Kloiber is a good tester and has just come off a pro road season. She will be hard to beat if in form.
    I agree.
    In the men's I reckon James Dobbin will make it two in a row. Jim Henderson, David Clarke, Danny Axford and Robert Gough should all be up there. I'm hoping for a top 20 with a time around 8min if I have a good day.
    Dan Soltys is probably the best climber from round our way, top 10 for him maybe? Top 20 will take some doing! As I said, good luck!

Ruth
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    There is a course marked on a local hill (360 m over 5 km), which the local clubs use for races. Having timed myself up that one on many occasions my best times always come when I use a fairly even effort. Using a HRM I try to keep it around the max I can sustain for the length of ride. In my case about 95%. I've tried sprinting on some sections, with the heart rate going well over 100%, and recovering on others, but even effort wins everytime. This doesn't apply to the last 200 m when you just put everything you have left into it and hope you can get your foot out of the pedals before you fall over at the end.

If it is a short climb, don't carry a water bottle, and have your last drink at least 10 minutes before the start to give it time to get into the system. There is no point in having water sloshing about attached to the frame, or in your stomach.

Good luck!
  • Richie G
    Thanks everybody- you've given me plenty to think about!
    I'd recommend riding the hill at least once or twice tomorrow, if you can get to it.
    The hills a bit further away than i thought- finish at lunch on Friday, so might have to see if i can get over there. It's about 25 miles from work and 30+ back- not sure that 's really taking it easy a couple of days before! Maybe i'll have to put the bike in the car that day.
    Oh, and well done RichieG for having a go at a hill-climb too.......... you've well and truly got this TT bug haven't you? Great to see!
    I certainly have- just wish i'd not spent most of the season dithering about it!
    At this stage, you're not going to get much fitter before the weekend so that's one less thing to worry about
    To be honest, i've taken it easy since the 14th, when i did my half marathon- just hoping my fitness hasn't dropped off too much in the meantime!

Anyway, thanks again- will let you all know how it goes and if i do see stars!

Rich
  • Jeff Jones
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    I'd be surprised if Cheddar wasn't packed out with cyclists and spectators. Having the whole section of road closed and solely for cyclists' and spectators' use is going to help create a fantastic atmosphere.
    I think it'll be a brilliant event. I know a lot of people who'll be out watching. It's such a great location as well. You going or are you cheering from afar?
    Dan Soltys is probably the best climber from round our way, top 10 for him maybe? Top 20 will take some doing! As I said, good luck!
    He could definitely make the top 10 if he's been winning climbs up your way. I'm thinking top 20 will take some doing, but I can but try.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • BeaconRuth
    jjones wrote:
    I think it'll be a brilliant event. I know a lot of people who'll be out watching. It's such a great location as well. You going or are you cheering from afar?
    I thought very hard about coming down but decided I really should do another sociable clubrun instead. This is the only time of year when I ride with my clubmates and after this week I'll be saying goodbye to clubruns again until next autumn - the sacrifices I make for training and racing. :(
    He could definitely make the top 10 if he's been winning climbs up your way. I'm thinking top 20 will take some doing, but I can but try.
    Dan holds the record for the hill-climbs in our classic Little Mountain TT................... come to think of it maybe our Little Mountain TT would appeal to you Jeff? Have a look here, and note April 27th 2008 in your diary. :wink:http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/index.html

Ruth
  • Jeff Jones
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Dan holds the record for the hill-climbs in our classic Little Mountain TT................... come to think of it maybe our Little Mountain TT would appeal to you Jeff? Have a look here, and note April 27th 2008 in your diary. :wink:http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/index.html
    Ta. It appeals, but it may clash with one of the WTTA hardriders series which I want to have a shot at next year.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Jeff Jones
    Richie G wrote:
    The hills a bit further away than i thought- finish at lunch on Friday, so might have to see if i can get over there. It's about 25 miles from work and 30+ back- not sure that 's really taking it easy a couple of days before! Maybe i'll have to put the bike in the car that day.
    Yeah that doesn't really count as taking it easy :) If you do go out on Friday, then don't flog yourself on the hill. But I think it's still worth riding it to get a feel for it.

Best of luck!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • emaichael
    jjones ur pics so cool.
    its cant be u? is it?
  • Jeff Jones
    emaichael wrote:
    jjones ur pics so cool.
    its cant be u? is it?
    Yeah (with photoshopping of glasses). It was one of a series of pics we used for advertising the site in the mags. Tony (ed-in-chief), John (international ed) and a couple of others also featured.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • emaichael
    wow. you look so cool. dunno why, but you remind me of... the bad guy in the matrix! :) lol
  • emaichael
    am trying to put pic of me on my portrait bit, but how do i do it, ive tried a couple of times, but doesn't show up at-all
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I’ve done half-a-dozen hill climb TTs and I agree with those who speak of an even pace and staying in the saddle, even on a 20% slope. If I were you, I wouldn’t get out of the saddle much unless you know it really suits you. I only get out of the saddle for short steeper stretches to keep up tempo or if I feel my pace is dropping due to lack of concentration. Or for physical relief and variation, though this is more needed for 5-10 mile long climbs, not for a short 1000 yard climb like yours. (The shortest hill climb I’ve done was about 2 miles)

I don’t think a 25 miles ride to get to the start too far as a warm-up, nor as a ride the day before, if you ride it not too fast. Though a shorter distance would also be ample. Whether you ride or drive, time your arrival at the hill-climb start to get a reasonable break between, 20-40 mins. And during the wait time, don’t forget to move around a bit, on the bike if you drove there, doing anything if you rode there. Just don’t cool down.

Riding the hill beforehand is good advice, to know how to time and divide your energy up the hill, maybe even to note points where you should change down or can change up. You’ll need to ride it twice really, to realise this, though. As already said, get up to speed quickly, then find your true pace, rather than trying to find it by starting cautiously – if you do this, you’ll then underestimate yourself. And as Term1te says, don’t bother with a water bottle, and don’t eat anything in the 30 mins beforehand.
  • Richie G
    Well, as long as there are no disaters at work, i'm gonna take a look at the course this afternoon. Put the bike in the car- figured i'd go up and down the course a few times and have ride around the local area to work where i can warm up.
    (The shortest hill climb I’ve done was about 2 miles)
    That's interesting- makes me wonder about the gradient of this one! To be honest, i reckon i'd probably be better suited to a longer course - i guess we'll see on Sunday!
  • Richie G
    I did it! Glad i had a look at the course first- the gradient varied a bit, so took a couple of runs to work what gears to use. Was a wet windy day, which made the freewheel competion down to the start a bit dicey! Stuck to my usual sit down and spin style- only got out of the saddle for the steepest section near the end. Thought my lungs were gonna explode as i got to the line- legs wre jelly when i tried to get off! :lol: Anyway, out of 12 starters i came 4th in 3:33. Winner did 2:58- i missed 3rd by 4 seconds. Really pleased with that, particularly as i don't do any training approaching that intensity. Thanks everyone for their help.

Rich

PS see jjones got 24th in the Nationals- respect!
  • BeaconRuth
    Well done Richie G. 4th out of 12 is pretty impressive for your first hill-climb. Maybe you should try some open HCs next year as well as 10's and 25's?!

Many congrats to jjones too. Sounds like it was the great day out we predicted?

Ruth
  • Jeff Jones
    Nice one Richie - that's a really good result in your first HC. That length of climb is really tough. I hope it spurs you on for next season!

I was quite happy with my ride at the nationals :D I was aiming at a sub 8min, which I got with 7'38, and a top 20, which I just missed out on (24th). A bit more hill training on the TT bike would have helped I reckon but overall I can't complain.

My predictions for the winners were right: Dobbin and Clarke 1-2 in the men, and Kloiber in the women. A season of overseas pro road racing would have helped her, but she has a good background as a duathlete too.

It was a huge buzz to ride with so many people cheering, despite the bad weather. I'm writing something on it for the next C+.

Season's over. Let the detraining commence!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Richie G
    Maybe you should try some open HCs next year as well as 10's and 25's?!
    Think they may be on next year's to do list! I quite like the look of the Little Mountain event you mentioned- Might have to persuade Mrs G that a weekend in Worcester could be nice!

Well done jjones- looking forward to the C+ article!

Rich
  • BeaconRuth
    Richie G wrote:
    Think they may be on next year's to do list! I quite like the look of the Little Mountain event you mentioned- Might have to persuade Mrs G that a weekend in Worcester could be nice!
    Yes, do come and ride the Little Mountain, RIch! It's a fabulous course - a real challenge, but very scenic and a wonderful part of the world. It's just a shame you don't have time to enjoy it! We had masses of positive feedback about it this year and next year it should be even bigger and better.
    Well done jjones- looking forward to the C+ article!
    Me to!

Ruth