Extra Wheel trailer

Deckie
Deckie Posts: 3
edited November 2007 in Tour & expedition
This has been reccomended to me to use on our tandem. I quite fance a trailer anyway to take the weight off the bike itself (already overloaded with me on it!) when we do JOGLE next year.

Not keen on two wheel trailers & having seen a Bob Yak, that looks a bit long in combination with a tandem, but is the best I've seen otherwise (other than the Weber, but thats too many £'s).

Any advice welcome!

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    It was good enough for this chap.
    http://wildworks.co.nz/csr/route.php

From what I've heard they are fine with normal touring gear, but not too good with very heavy loads (and also fairly obviously no good for outsize or weird-shaped luggage).
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Edinburgh Cycles do a trailer a bit like the Bob, but cheaper at £125.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I've done miles and miles on a tandem towing a Bob Yak and it handles like a dream. I guess it is pretty long but that's only an issue when you're trying to find a wall long enough to park it. Going forwards you hardly know it's there at all (apart from the weight dragging you back down the mountain).

Those extra wheel trailers look a little tricky to pack whilst with the Bob you just chuck it all in one big bag. The Edingburgh Cycles bob copy is probably a good bet too.
  • The Extrawheel is impressive - we're using one on our tour in SW China at the moment. True, it's more awkward to pack than the BOB, but you soon develop a technique. It's easier to hitch and definitely performs better of road, thanks to the bigger wheel which rolls well (and doubles up as a spare) and the shorter wheelbase. It's cheaper and lighter. I'd agree that it's not ideal for heavy loads on a solo bike, as the trailer can start to 'wag' (as do other singlewheelers) at higher speeds, particularly if you're standing - packing the load as low as possible helps. This is much less of an issue with tandems. Overall though, I really like it.