Hi, i'm new.

Fat Pants
Fat Pants Posts: 53
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Howdy all, i'm Glen, i'm 16 and i live in the rough south east area of London, England, i've just bought a Bianchi SL Lite (i think, it's a bit unclear), really nice spec i think, has Spinergys, front and rear (smooth as butter) and some nice Bianchi carbon forks, think the rest is ok, mostly Shimano. I'm a trials rider (seatless bike, bouncing around on the rear tyre) at heart but recently thought i'd buy a roadie to get to work on.

I'm looking for roadiers around the SE london area to possibly trek down to brighton with or soemthing like that when i'm a bit more suited to roadying (still a trials rider, just need to get used to this pedaling and getting somewhere lark :lol:)
Pic of my bike :D :

spa0039mb4.jpg
glen.robinson@hotmail.com

Trials and roadie in SE London

Comments

• Very nice. What happened to Bianchi's celeste colour? :)
  • Yeah, the best thing about it is that i only paid £300 for it :D

What celeste colour? Lol, sorry, haven't been in the game long.

While we're here; does anyone know which Spinergy wheels i have? I was told they are 300 new and have been ridden like twice, and i can trust this guy as he is a good friend, but i'd like to do some research on them. Also what bike is it, as funny as it sounds, i don't have a clue :lol:

• sprintkid
    sprintkid Posts: 315
    Good day Fat Pants, and welcome to the wonderful world of roadies :mrgreen: . I'm on my second Bianchi and love them :D . But I do have to say I would only have them in celeste but for that money you can't complain.
    It should say what model your bike is on the top tube near the seat pin.
    Anyway I hope you enjoy being a roadie get out and ride you'll love it :D
    sprintkid
  • Hiya, hope you enjoy it here.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    hello fat pants, hope you enjoy it here. There is always plenty of advice given by the more informed people on the forum. Make yourself at home and post away. 8)
  • Cheers for the welcomes.

I've been out on it today with 2 friends, both on DJ bikes so i had to stop every 10 mins to wait for them to catch up :D

Just been going about on a stretch of road about 100m long and went from 22.1mph top speed to 23.4 (pretty pleased) in about 30 mins of practice/training, really need to get to a long piece of road and really cain it, i'm hoping for a good 30mph. My heart isn't great though, had a few problems with it last year with palpitations etc, so it's been a bit fluttery over the last hour, it's rather annoying, means i can't push myself that much, which might be a big downfall to my roadying, but i'm ok most of the time.

I think saturday i might ride down to brighton (around 60 miles) with a fixie (rides a Bianchi Pista, one of the guys who was on the DJ bikes) if things go well, should be good fun.

• Fat Pants wrote:
    What celeste colour? Lol, sorry, haven't been in the game long.
    Here's a little background but there's quite a history to the colour celeste which has changed slightly over the years. Bianchi "owns" the colour so to speak.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bianchi_(b ... nufacturer)

BTW - my first proper road bike was a Bianchi and I loved that bike, at least until I drove it into the roof of the garage while perched atop my car :oops:
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Fat Pants wrote:
    Howdy all, i'm Glen, i'm 16 and i live in the rough south east area of London, England, i've just bought a Bianchi SL Lite (i think, it's a bit unclear), really nice spec i think, has Spinergys, front and rear (smooth as butter) and some nice Bianchi carbon forks, think the rest is ok, mostly Shimano. I'm a trials rider (seatless bike, bouncing around on the rear tyre) at heart but recently thought i'd buy a roadie to get to work on.

I'm looking for roadiers around the SE london area to possibly trek down to brighton with or soemthing like that when i'm a bit more suited to roadying (still a trials rider, just need to get used to this pedaling and getting somewhere lark :lol:)
    Pic of my bike :D :

spa0039mb4.jpg
    Hey glen welcome aboard. if you're not too far away from croydon I'd get yourself aling to Addiscombe CC the friendliest and best cycling club in the South East. We haven't got many youngs ters but Stu Merckx Man, AJC Petacci and Mo Jaffer are all active youngsters in our club. If I recall Mo (14) only joined in the last few months. Here are the forum adressess http://addiscombe.org/members/phpBB2/index.php and addiscombe.org
    I hope to see you out on the bike soon. Autumn is not a bad time to join a club because the competitive season is over. Reasons to join ACC
    1. Socially great to have new cycling budies
    2. You'll probably improve heaps in the first year riding with a group
    3. It'll keep you motivated

Take care
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    also - the dulwich paragon, good for beginners, do a great saturday club run from crystal palace parade.
  • That's great and surprising, there used to be about 8 trials riders around here circa 7 years ago but 6 of them quit before i started, so i was left with a guy who went to uni and a guy who wants to quit because of his slightly bad knee and age (20), which is a shame but he's recently bought a new frame (snapped the v brake mount off his last one!) so i'm hoping that will keep him in the game for a few more years.

Thanks for the info Toks and peejay, i'll check that all out, i'm guessing the Addiscombe route is around 10 miles each way? That sounds manageable - just :lol:

Yeah, i'm not looking into wearing lycra and shaving my legs (measure of commitment, haha) but it would be cool to, once i'm fit enough, which shouldn't be too long as trials is soo physically demanding, cycle to places around 30 or so miles away and make a whole day of it, something fun like that.

• Just got in from a long ride around places, managed 38.6mph on Corkscrew hill, not fully gunning it, was scarryyy, the road is so bumpy.

• in the wire
    in the wire Posts: 79
    edited October 2007
    nice bike
  • in the wire
    in the wire Posts: 79
    edited October 2007
    In the meantime, that saddle looks way too low...

Way too low,
  • Uhmmm? Are you on drugs or something?

Saddle is too low because it's the right height for me (i'm 5.8 ) just the frame is too big for me, but that doesn't matter, i can still fit on it.

• Fat Pants wrote:
    Cheers for the welcomes.

I've been out on it today with 2 friends, both on DJ bikes so i had to stop every 10 mins to wait for them to catch up :D

Just been going about on a stretch of road about 100m long and went from 22.1mph top speed to 23.4 (pretty pleased) in about 30 mins of practice/training, really need to get to a long piece of road and really cain it, i'm hoping for a good 30mph. My heart isn't great though, had a few problems with it last year with palpitations etc, so it's been a bit fluttery over the last hour, it's rather annoying, means i can't push myself that much, which might be a big downfall to my roadying, but i'm ok most of the time.

I think saturday i might ride down to brighton (around 60 miles) with a fixie (rides a Bianchi Pista, one of the guys who was on the DJ bikes) if things go well, should be good fun.

Maybe this is arrhythmia which most people call palpitations. Feels like you're heart misses a beat then does a big one. Its common, I have it occasionally, had my heart checked out by a cardio 3 years ago and no problems. get it checked out though to make sure thats what it is, you'll need an ultrasound scan etc etc. If it is just that, then you dont have to worry about pushing hard. But get it checked!
  • Well, a year or so ago i was walking home from school and it randomly started going a bit funny (was being slightly funny the night before) and gradually got worse during the day, then on the way home it got bad and i had to call an ambulance because i was really worried and had been told 'anything to do with your heart needs to be seen to' and it went on really quite bad (for what i've had anyway) for about 2-3 mins until i sat down and by the time the ambulance got there, it had gone, so they couldn't diagnose it. And i haven't had many problems since, only a few harsh beats once or twice a month, depending on what i'm doing.

When i got to the hospital i was OK and they gave me an ECG thing, and couldn't see anything, fortunately and unfortunately.

I have had it go a bit twitchy since I've had the bike but that's because I'm pushing. I'll have a read up on arrhythmia though, but it's mainly due to what i eat, when i was younger/before i had the bad one, i ate quite a lot of things that had lots of caffeine in it, such as coke and chocolate, crisps too but that's not caffeine, just general unhealthyness. So i cut that out and haven't really eaten many packs of crisps (maybe 5 in the last year and 3/4?) and not much chocolate, and the only carbonated soft drinks i've had is fanta because it seems less sugary, but it's probably just the same and probably haven't had many of them in the last year and 3/4. Definitely had something to do with diet though, as i've been on recently.

EDIT: Oh yeah, used to eat quite a bit of macdonalds or similar (i was a lil fat boy) but haven't had a macdonalds burger since the bad one... Only had a kids burger one day when i was riding trials in london because i hadn't had breakfast, i had been riding some maddd lines (lol) and it was 5 o clock.

• Fatpants

The basic Addiscombe club run totals about 45 miles - with 'add ons' if you're in the mood. Including a leisurely cafe stop, you're looking at about 3.5 hrs, plus whatever you have to cover from home and back

Other than that - what Toks said.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Hey!

Nothing wrong with being 5'8" :lol:

Welcome, get spinning!
    Richard

Giving it Large