achilles tendonitis and osgood schlatters !

jacktheoc
jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
edited October 2007 in Health, fitness & training
i have had achilles tendonitis tendonitis for about 8month now :( , it has not been to bad in the summer but now it is getting cold i am really starting to feel it :( does anyone have any tips on helping me through the winter..i have been going to physiotherapy for about 1month but i stopped about 2 week ago i though that it had helped but it hasn;t. :cry:
cheers for any tips..
also i have osgood schlatters, i have been to the doctors and since im only 14 he said it will be gone by the time im about 17, but it has started to really hurt in the cold similar to my heel and i soometimes have to stop for 20 mins in the middle of trails to sit it out, can some one please help with either. will wearing supperts help a bit!
the only thing which has helped a little is when i out a deep heat patch above my knee cap that usually helps after about 10mins but i obviously cant do this for another 3year.
cheers for any replies :D

Comments

• Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    'The prognosis is excellent. Symptoms usually resolve spontaneously within 1 year.'

The above is a quote from a very reputable medical website about Osgood Schlatters. I didn't think it would last til you were seventeen but I thought I'd better check.

And the following is nicked from the same website about Achilles tendonitis:

'Complications

Patients with long-standing tendonitis or tendinosis may progress to complete rupture of the tendon.

Prevention

A key to the prevention of Achilles tendonitis is maintaining good flexibility and strength of the heel cord complex and ankle. Proper warm-up is necessary before activity. In individuals with faulty foot biomechanics (eg, overpronation), custom orthotics, heel cups, or arch supports may be recommended to prevent development of tendonitis.

Prognosis

In general, the prognosis is quite good for individuals with Achilles tendonitis who comply with a period of relative rest and conservative treatment.'

It also states that proper stretching prior to and after any sporting activity will help with recovery - as I'm sure your physio has already taught/told you.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    cheers for that, well i have had osgood for about 1 and a half years now and achilles tendonitis for about 1 year, i have been told a few things to do around the house to help, one is to rock back and forward from heels to toe for about 5-10mins and the other is to put half of my foot on the stairs and the other half off and lean forward to stretch them...i will keep doing these to see if it works and will make sure i do my stretches before....
    cheers again
  • Assuming the diagnosis of achilles tendonitis is correct my advice would be to stand on the bottom step with your toes on and heels off. Go up on both toes, then put all your weight onto the PAINFUL foot and lower slowly. Repeat for 3 sets of 15.

Physiotherapy will not have such a large effect in two weeks, I would expect more like 6. I have found soft tissue manipualtion and acupuncture helpful in treating achilles tendonitis or tendonopathy.

I am a physiotherapist with aninterest in rugby and cycling, so see quite a few ankle injuries.

Good luck with it.

Andy
  • Little inserts that you can get to put in shoes and raise up arch/heel of foot are good for achilles .

Am 4 weeks into physio after 9 weeks in plaster following op to repair ruptured achilles - not an experience I would recommend anybody going through !