Hey everybody!!!

Denny69
Denny69 Posts: 206
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
HI guys,

I'm normally found riding an MTB and I have a Giant XTC4, but I found myself wanting a road bike for when it's too claggy to go off road or just fancy a change, the bike I'm looking at is the Giant SCR4 '08.

How do you guys rate this road bike is it a good starter road bike or a complete donkey? I know it's the bottom of the pile as far as the SCR range goes, but will I enjoy my riding on it? I'm not looking at Olympic standards or anything competitive just something that I can go out on and enjoy a FULL day in the saddle.

Thanks for reading/any advice
Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny

Comments

• Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Hi Denny
    Take a look/Search the forum. You'll find the SCR range is very highly regarded as a great bike starter or not. It's comfortable and adaptable, can take a rack and full guards if required. Buy with confidence.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • emaichael
    emaichael Posts: 109
    Fab Foodie wrote:
    Hi Denny
    Take a look/Search the forum. You'll find the SCR range is very highly regarded as a great bike starter or not. It's comfortable and adaptable, can take a rack and full guards if required. Buy with confidence.

i have an scr 2, and there brilliant, the scr3/4 is pretty much the same Imho. the only dif is the gears. the scr 4 has 2 rings instead, for racing. the scr2 has 3 rings (granny ring :roll: ) also little holes on the back for commuting about with a rack for carry stuff. its everything you can want. if you have that extra 100 pound get the scr2.
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Cheers guys..that's that sorted then!!! One more question though....Does it have the shifters incorporated into the brake levers? I've tried looking on the pics but can't see anything and I've tried looking for the components on-line with no avail.

It's just a preference thing!!
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    I have the SCR 3 and I've just clocked over 2000 miles on it no problems. You can probably get a good deal on a 2006/7 model if you hunt around. The only issue are the wheels which have a seperate post running. The jist is they're not great but will do 'till you save up or are motivated to buy some better ones. The gears on mine are 24 speed Sora. They are on the bars and are incorporated into the brake leaver and a small shifter beside the brake lever. One shifts up the other down.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    just to clarify what someone said earlier, the chainrings are NOT dependent on the model number. It's down to which release the bike is.

first release last year was triple chainrings
    second release last year was (all, i believe) compact doubles
    All this years are compact doubles i believe.

So find out which one the model you're looking at has as some of last years are different.

If you can i'd go for the SCR 2, reason being the Tiagra shifters IMHO are much better than the sora, tho this is personal choice so try out some tiagra and sora shifters before you commit money.