Queen's Road - Dunkeld to Braemar

nwallace
nwallace Posts: 1,465
edited October 2007 in MTB rides
The route of Queen Victoria's carriage from Dunkeld to Braemar is mentioned in one of the Bike Scotland pocket guides, the route shown doesn't go much further than Loch Ordie (which I intend on doing tomorrow) but it does say that part of the route after the extremes shown is "Lost" and that a bicycle isn't the best form of transport to find it on.

I took this hint as meaning there is a hydro scheme covering the route, however my investigation of the OS landranger maps revealed that I can find a couple of guesses at Pitlochry -> Bridge of Cally route with no sign of any lossage. But after that all I can see is the Cairnwell road and a few other tracks that show now suggestion of loss either.

I think the road got a brief mention in "New ways through the glens" for having caused the queens carriage to be come totally unroadworthy.

I am struggling to find info on the web particularly as Queens Road gives you a result for just about every town in the commonwealth! plus others.

Does anyone know of the route? or has even done the whole Dunkeld to Braemar off road?
Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days

Comments

• have you tried looking for a route called the cateran Trail? it starts a little way out on the Dunkeld road from blairgowrie (i think!) part of this route cuts up through Enochdhu and brings you out at the Spittal of Glenshee about 20 or so miles from Braemar.dont know if its likely to be relevent to your quest but there is a book printed called the cateran trail.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    stupo-15 wrote:
    have you tried looking for a route called the cateran Trail? it starts a little way out on the Dunkeld road from blairgowrie (i think!) part of this route cuts up through Enochdhu and brings you out at the Spittal of Glenshee about 20 or so miles from Braemar.dont know if its likely to be relevent to your quest but there is a book printed called the cateran trail.

Yeah did part of it from Blairgowrie to Birdge of Calley then up the hill to Drimmie.

Photos here: http://hyperthenellyphantsports.fotopic ... 95253.html

I suspect the bit of the Cateran trail you mention may have been part of the route the Queen took, and then over by the Devils elbow and then the old road into Braemar.

While out at Loch Ordie (and further up) at the weekend It was all a bit odd seeing what were clearly once well built county or estate roads still holding up. Though saying that Perthshire and Atholl EState did have some of the best roads in Scotland prior to the Commission for Highland Roads and Bridges, but then, that isn't saying much!

This is probably more appropriate in Routes rather than Rides. My Mistake!
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • kinda local to the Enochdhu area and found out today that a guy i know knows the route as he intends walking it to Braemar,have'nt had the chance to speak to him yet but should do within the next day or so,he's pretty knowledgable though and should be able to fill in the rest of the route.looking at the map i think the road's more likely to come over nearer Ballintium but im only guessing,endless amounts of tracks along the whole length of Strathardle Glen.i'll let you know! great photos, tis nice up there.

probably should be in routes,but hey lets live dangerously!! :twisted: