trek 1.5, good bike?

muz250
muz250 Posts: 95
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
hello like alot of people on this forum just getting into cycling and looking to make the purches of an entry level bike, with a limit of £600.

Iv had a look around my most local bike shops and the bike I like the look of best is the trek 1.5, I,ve not had a shot but it feels light. I cant realy say I know enough about the types of components to say if its a good buy or not (£600), and i cant find any reveiws online of how the bike is compared to others. I have seen a giant scr 3 on wiggle ( http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... 5360031634 )

for £380 though.

I like the fact if i go for the trek I can have adjusted right for my height and reach settings by the lbs, But i noticed the giant only comes in three sizes so I cant go that wrong when it comes to the right size of bike.

So dose anybody know about the trek 1.5 or should the giant scr 3 be looked at as a better buy???

link for the trek http://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bikes/2 ... series/15/

a lin

Comments

• graemeH
    graemeH Posts: 12
    I have a Giant hybrid which has been absolutely excellent, did the C2C on it and enjoyed every minute.

I have a Trek 1.9, it's great. Loved the spec and love the feel - it's my first road bike.

If you are getting your first road bike either the Giant or the Trek will be brilliant - you can't go wrong with either, robust, light, fun. Why not find a good LBS and try them both out?

G.
  • i just bought a giant scr 2.0 for £420 (£525 rrp) defintely worth £40 more to avoid the sora stuff, there are some bikes available online at this price (or cheaper even) but it seems the popular sizes are sold out, could try phoning local bike shops.

The scr bikes are available in sizes other than small, medium and large. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/technology/compactroad/ should provide a usefull rough size guide.

Try and test ride both of them if possible.
  • Mike_1980, hows the bike???

I have just ordered myself the SCR 2.0 also (£430) and can not wait. The suppliers say it should be with me in a week, thats just far to long in my opinion, I just want to get on out there with it

D
  • muz250
    thanks for the advise, where are you getting the scr 2 for 430?
    I realy don,t know where I could go test ride the giant, but if its a good enough bike I,d go for it...... although I like the look of the trek a bit better.

Am pritty sure they will both be good for getting into cycling, am just wanting to get started, my cars due its mot next month so am having to wait untill thats passed, before I buy my bike (just in case its in need of more attention that am estimating) , so its giving me time to look about.

The difference between the trek and the giant as far as I can see are the wheels, and after that I don,t know enough about bikes to say if this gear systems better than that.... etc.
  • MUZ250

See link. I must point out that this is the 06/07 (last season) although I really don't think there is much difference from this seasons spec.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/index ... 8&brandID=

Regards
  • muz250
    Thanks for the link priceda,

That is a very good price what size did u order and what hight are you?.

Am just under 5.11 and I was looking at the size chat for a giant bike, and should be either a 53.5 or a 55.5, there showing the 55.5 in stock.

I feel I realy need to get the right fit, got kind of short legs and a long back... I bought a realy cheap bike of ebay about a month ago a mircurio 12 speed thing, not a very good bike I know now.....

http://www.rideabike.co.uk/ebay/mercurio121med.jpg

and this thing just isnt very comfortable to ride, Iv got it set up so I can ride it but not confident in the gears (levers are on the frame) I,v tryed adjusting them but they like to jump gears when am trying to pedal fast.

I d realy like to get a shot or even sit on one before I buy it, thats why the trek is looking very good to me but tha giant is a good bike also and looks like it has better gears / levers (the trek has sora, mike says to avoid).

have you got ur bike yet?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Muz you lucky chap - I've got the perfect solution for you!

I have a 54 cm Focus Variado expert, it's a year and a half old but in great nick and best of all it has Shimano Ultegra throughout and Shimano R550 wheels. I’m just under 5'11 and have a long torso as well and the bike fits me perfectly and was setup for me by cyclefit in London. I'm selling some of my bikes to fund an upgrade to a Pinarello Prince and sold my 2007 Wilier Mortirolo last night!!

Anyway if you're be interested in the Focus then let me know, it's a great bike and in perfect working order. There are a few scuffs on the paint work but nothing major, I'd be happy to post some photos or arrange a viewing if you're in London.

Bike will be going on ebay soon. I paid £800 so I reckon £400 would be a fair price, to include a pair of Ultegra SPD-L pedals and the saddle it came with - which has never been used!

Here's a link to the bike on Wiggle with a review. Let me know if you are interested at all.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... &UberCat=0
  • sonicred007
    sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
    Latest C+ gave it 9/10 and plenty of superlatives
  • muz250
    jashburnham, am intrested I see the focus bikes get alot of good reveiws, the bike looks good if its the same as the one in the picture. live in Scotland / Dunfermline though, london is a bit far away, what kind of price would it be to get it delivered????
  • il_principe
    Ah that's a pity, i'm not to keen on delivering as 1. I think it's important to test ride and 2, it's a bit of a hassle sourcing a big enough box and padding everything properly... I'd imagine delivery would be a fair whack as well. It's a great bike though, no plans to be in London anytime soon?
  • muz250
    No plans to go to london am afraid, I give it a miss on the bike (although am sure the bike am going to get isnt going to be as good) , am sure you will be able to sell it no problem.

How much is the Pinarello Prince, I seen the frame on one site for £2500 !! that is one nice / exspensive bike.

The 2007 Wilier Mortirolo is nice looking bike also, exspensive taste in bikes!! :D
  • il_principe
    I'm paying £3600 for the frame built up with a Chorus groupset and Deda bars and stem, I reckon that's a fair price and I'm not being charged for the build and am supplying my own wheels etc. Expensive yes, but the sale of my Wilier and the Focus will offset the cost a bit. Anyway I don't own a car and would much rather spend my money on cycling. The Prince is a dream bike, collecting on sat and I'm very excited. Doing the Etape this year as well so I figured I'd treat myself!
  • muz,

Once you get your road bike you should come out with the Dunfermline Cycling Club.
    We meet at the Glen Gates on a Saturday morning for the weekly social cafe run at 9.00am. 35 miles in a loop with plenty of good banter. Make sure and bring £2.15 for coffee and scone.

The run averages about 17 mph but we always wait at key turns if you drop off the back up the climbs, and someone will always make sure you get back home if you are suffering by the end.

We go East through Cairneyhill, Culross etc to Clackamannan, through Alloa to Fishcross, through Coalsnoughton and down to Forest Mill for the cafe, then it is to Saline and up the hill through Steelend, over the hill and then a right back into Dunfermline at the bottom of Knockhill.

Riding in a group (usually about 20 of us) is a buzz if you have not done it before.

Steven
  • muz250
    steven,

I,ll give it a go for sure, 17mph avarage.... think when I get my bike I will get a speed o meter as well so I can gauge how unfit and slow ill be before I show up!.

I work every 2nd satarday so thats not the best, but I definatly want to get involved I,d rather go out cycling with other people than on my own all the time for sure.

I was looking at getting my bike from Hardie bikes in carnyhill, I was in there last week just having a quick look hopefully this time next week ill have the car through its mot and the bike will be orderd.

jash,

The prince is easly the best looking bike I,v seen!. The etape should be good, I like the idea of that kind of event how long have you been planning to do it, and what sort of costs are involved?
  • muz250 wrote:
    Thanks for the link priceda,

That is a very good price what size did u order and what hight are you?.

Am just under 5.11 and I was looking at the size chat for a giant bike, and should be either a 53.5 or a 55.5, there showing the 55.5 in stock.

I feel I realy need to get the right fit, got kind of short legs and a long back... I bought a realy cheap bike of ebay about a month ago a mircurio 12 speed thing, not a very good bike I know now.....

http://www.rideabike.co.uk/ebay/mercurio121med.jpg

and this thing just isnt very comfortable to ride, Iv got it set up so I can ride it but not confident in the gears (levers are on the frame) I,v tryed adjusting them but they like to jump gears when am trying to pedal fast.

I d realy like to get a shot or even sit on one before I buy it, thats why the trek is looking very good to me but tha giant is a good bike also and looks like it has better gears / levers (the trek has sora, mike says to avoid).

have you got ur bike yet?

Would of got back to you earlier but not visited forum for a while.

In answer to your question i'm 6.1 with shorter then average legs but longer torso and have opted for 55.5 Can't really help as I'm new to all this so don't want to give any duff advice. One thing I will recommend is sourcing a LBS that can do you a bike fit. Visit www.bikefitting.com and from here you should be able to find your nearest LBS that provides the service.

If the folk at the LBS are any good then should be able to answer any questions that you may have and guide you to the right size as the one I visited did for me. The fit cost me £30 but redeemable from the price of a bike if purchased with them, your LBS may also do this. Really is piece of mind as I was very concerned at spending a few hundred and getting it wrong.

Only downer is my bike not here yet, but they had to order in so I can't expect miracles. Hope this has helped.

Daz
  • Daz,

6' 1" with a longer than average torso will put you on a much larger top tube than 55.5 Taht is the length for an average 5' 10" guy. By best guess you'd need a 135 of 140 mm stem to make that fit unless your arms are about 66 cm long.

Where was your fit done?
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Down the road.

I had the fit at julies cycles (leicester).

Body data gives my arms at 70.5cm. Have been given data measurements for "time trial triathlon sport" set up. I require a set up that will allow tri bars to be added, but also use same bike when out with my "proper" cycling buddies. Chap in shop said this was probably the best as its an inbetween set up for what i'm after (or words to that effect).
    There are lots of weird and wonderful measurements, all of which I don't understand, given top tube being 57.3cm and tube from bottom bracket to seat (down tube??) 52.3cm .
    The template of measurements given is also of a trek equinox 5 size 58. Giant have the compact frame, so I understand top tube changes Giant geometry gives frame size 55.5cm as top tube 57.4cm.

Thanks for you feedback, and more welcome now i've given you some more of the story, what are your thoughts?

Hopefully you can make head and tail of my ramblings, i confuse myself quite easily in this game with my shear lack of knowledge.

Kind regards,

Daz :D
  • What frame angle did they use for the calculation?

That will be the key.

Surprised to use a TT posistion as the basis of a bike to do both jobs. Would normally expect to see a road position as the basis and a TT fit done as well and then adjustments made on the road frame to suit.

The Trek 1.5 is a road bike and has slacker angles to suit. Would be putting you most likely on a 58 or a 60 Trek 1.5
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Not sure what you mean by frame angle, is this what giant refers to as a seat angle? Where are the measurements taken from?

See where you are coming from in the basic fit to road then adaptation.

Regards

Daz
  • muz250
    Was at a bike shop today and had a seat on an scr 2, and it felt like a good fit the guy at the shop had it up on some rollers so I could pedal it and feel what it was like. it was medum but not sure what size exactly.
    Was £545 and it had mud gaurds on it and was the newer version than the one in winstanlys, I actualy like the look of the 07 better and £425 is alot cheeper....

He also had planet x bikes, the full carbon one in black, very nice!