Losing your driving license on a bicycle

DavidTQ
DavidTQ Posts: 943
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
OK I remember a topic a which we discussed the posibility or seemingly otherwise of losing your driving license for being drunk on a bike, I could recall a weird news story at the time from the local paper where a guy lost his license for being drunk on a bike, well heres the same court taking a away a guys driving license over child support payments???

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=135239&command=displayContent&sourceNode=135077&contentPK=18708473&folderPk=79060&pNodeId=134831

Can anyone figure out how that works legally and whether or not the magistrate that has the same ability to suspend a driving license over this offense can work the same punishment as they see fit for being drunk on a bicycle?

Ive never heard of special powers over driving licenses for child support cases before???

Just to point out Ive never been drunk on a bike and Im married to the mother of my 4 children I just find this punishment absolutely bizarre as child support payments are not an endorseable offence.

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Certainly is the case in Victoria, Australia.

You are in control of a 'vehicle', so you can lose your vehicular license, or get demerit points etc etc. Same for on horseback. Small fines too.

Of course, if you don't have a license in the first place, then all they can do is give you the fine.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    The "Disqualification from Driving Order" are special powers granted to the judiciary to prosecute non-resident parents who have failed to keep up CSA payments - see:

The Child Support (Collection and Enforcement and Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2000

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2001/20010162.htm#35

There have been proposals from the CSA to remove the need for Judicial review, so a CSA member of staff can simply issue one at will.

There was also talk of using these enforcement powers for other non-motoring "offences" such as anti-social behavior, failing to attend community service etc.

"Police state" anyone?

As for cycling, AFAIK there is still not a process for removing the driving license from someone who uses a pedal cycle with excess alcohol.

Rufus.
  • misterben
    misterben Posts: 193
    RufusA wrote:
    As for cycling, AFAIK there is still not a process for removing the driving license from someone who uses a pedal cycle with excess alcohol.

Rufus.

I've been reading back issues of CityCycling and they posed this question to the police, who advised that your driving license is not affected by your actions on a bicycle. However, there are serious fines possible for various cycling offenses.

The article is here: http://www.citycycling.co.uk/issue9/issue9page21.html

It's talking about speeding, rather than drink cycling, it does state that "There are no offences that carry penalty points for cyclists" but there is up to a £2500 fine for dangerous cycling.
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    RufusA wrote:
    The "Disqualification from Driving Order" are special powers granted to the judiciary to prosecute non-resident parents who have failed to keep up CSA payments - see:

The Child Support (Collection and Enforcement and Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2000

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2001/20010162.htm#35

There have been proposals from the CSA to remove the need for Judicial review, so a CSA member of staff can simply issue one at will.

There was also talk of using these enforcement powers for other non-motoring "offences" such as anti-social behavior, failing to attend community service etc.

"Police state" anyone?

Rufus.

absolutely crazy, children or support of children in no way influences the gaining of the license, completely bizarre that they can take it away over something unrelated. Especially as doing so in no way stops a person from continuing to not pay...

I can see no obvious way to take away a driving license for pedal bike actions, as I did say in the previous thread it seemed bizarre to me at the time, however this case seems even more bizarre but is obviously legal.

I thought maybe there was some obscure "take away a persons driving license for anything" card that a particular magistrate liked to play from time to time.

the idea of a civil servant randomly and without restraints taking away peoples driving licenses really is a worrying one...
  • £2,500!!! For dangerous cycling!!!!

I must be down at least £15,000 after my ride in this a.m. :D , and there was me thinking this was cheaper than the train.
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    CSA, If you've never dealt with them, you won't believe any stories about them. If you have, then you will probably have one as bad as mine.

Bastards the lot of them.

Andy
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 173
    If only the pedestrian was wearing a helmet! :roll:

But I guess the reason the CSA do this is that its an effective way of getting someone to cough up money!

Mailman
  • Re - CSA ... I can't see the logic in this. Consider the 3 main situations that the CSA deals with when collecting:

1. Nice person with no money. If you remove a person's driving license, that could threaten their career and therefore limit their ability to make payments.

2. Sponger git. If you remove their driving license they'll drive anyway and still spend the cash on "crack and smokes".

3. Nice person screwed by shag and dump "baby is a career" sponger slag. If you remove their driving license, their career will be threatened, limiting their ability to make payments and damaging their salary. This will put more burden on the state for the shag and dump pikey slag woman.

As for the cycling thing - it's a simple punitive measure to hit someone with whatever they can just to make their life more difficult for being naughty.[/b]
  • Garry71
    Garry71 Posts: 96

3. Nice person screwed by shag and dump "baby is a career" sponger slag. If you remove their driving license, their career will be threatened, limiting their ability to make payments and damaging their salary. This will put more burden on the state for the shag and dump pikey slag woman.

Is Heather Mills signing on then? I reckon Macca might have a driver anyway.

Garry
    Cycling is too nice to waste it on getting to work.