Peds giving advice

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
This morning there was severe traffic on the only road i can use to get to the roundabout near my office (there is no way to cut through on the side roads which is annoying). The whole road was blocked and as a result i sat in the traffic, i couldn't over or under take the vehicles as it was rammed both ways (its caused by parked cars).

On two separate occasions this morning peds came over tapped me on the shoulder and said 'Why don't i use the pavement?' To which i said 'Its illegal and dangerous'

What would you have done? (i was already running late for work so a few extra minutes didnt make a huge amount of difference so i just sat and waited for the traffic to clear)

Also did anyone else find it rather cold this morning?

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...got off and walked?...yeah it was a bit nippy...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • spasypaddy
    i couldn't be arsed to walk! like i said i was already running late so it wasnt a major rush!
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    I dont think ive ever seen a junction so rammed I couldnt pick a line through.
    that must have been frustrating
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    Probably sat it out with the traffic - some days luck's with you, some days it's not.

Chilly but not crazy - still just the base layer and jersey over that. And shorts!
  • Sometimes I sit it out, sometimes I get off and walk the bike along the pavement. I also had an old man tell me to ride on the pavement, and laugh at me and tell me I was 'so English' when I said no (there were lots of peds, it would have been impossible anyway).
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    No way I would have been cycling on the pavement thats for sure... I would far rather take primary and sit in the traffic, if its really bad Id get off and push if that looked faster to me.
  • spasypaddy
    Chilly but not crazy - still just the base layer and jersey over that. And shorts!
    with you on that! My arms were cold but they soon warmed up!

I picked my way as far forward as i could get but then it was just blocked:
    car parked
    bus in queue going my way
    van in queue the other way
    car parked

Literally no room! and it was like that all the way, eventually the bus managed to squeeze through as someone saw that it was blocking the whole road and let him out!

Didnt help that a dump truck had broken down as well, god knows what would of happened had the fire station on that road needed to get to an emergency
  • SBothwell
    SBothwell Posts: 293
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Also did anyone else find it rather cold this morning?

A bracing 0 degrees when I set out here in sunny Dundee, according to Metcheck. Looks like London was basking at around 6 or 7 - wheres the problem? 8)
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    I tend to find that where I take a short cut across a pavement or through a red light (on foot, pushing the bike) that I tend to get viewed the same as if I'd been riding it anyway and trying to mow people down
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Sods law, you'd have cycled on the pavement and either got collared by a copper, or had abuse shouted at you.

I have one 20 foot section of pavement I sometimes jump on near home but it is indicated as shared use, despite being narrow - just check that no-one is on it and just trundle past the heavily jammed section, and back onto 10 foot of cycle path before the lights.
  • where the hell is this place??

I've only encountered total meltdown once where I actually shouldered the bike to get through a tiny gap, onto the pavement, then back on to the road to remount where I got some jovial banter from some council employees stuck in the jam in their truck. "that's the way to do it!"
    and "it's better than a car innit!"

awesome.

but, I'd not been there before, If it was regular, I'd avoid or find a line earlier. it was the type of mexican stand-off where cars and trucks get themselves into an impossible stalemate, and traffic just backs up all around them.

this is what makes riding a bike so much fun.
    ...got off and walked?...yeah it was a bit nippy...

its very hard to walk in cleats when you're not used to them, almost like heels i guess
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I nearly went A over T three times in Boots this afternoon on my Looks, and I was walking slowly and carefully.
  • I would love to use a more efficient system when actually moving. But the fact of the matter is commuting requires being off the bike and walking some times.
    That's why I have SPD on both my bikes, because I quite often have to walk somewhere.
    Quite often when I'm doing laps of RP and have numb foot I want otherwise.
  • spasypaddy
    where the hell is this place??
    church street in edmonton. Its got schools and shit down there (another reason not to jump on the pavement!)

i commute in mountain bike shoes so my cleats are recessed so there would be no problem walking! Its just not appropriate!

Today i saw the traffic was tailing back even further than yesterday so i went down the north circular instead
  • Cyclegent
    Cyclegent Posts: 601
    I will always get off and walk if it saves time, but usually it doesn't save a great deal of time unless it's to avoid a big detour in a one-way system or something. If I'm stuck in a jam I find little time is gained by getting off and walking, because you can't always get back on the road easily. I also don't see much point in weaving and wobbling through traffic light queues just to get to the front, as you can lose your road space and become less visible.
    \'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It\'s a daily mode of transportation. People don\'t dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.\' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.