Waterproofs?

covbaldy
covbaldy Posts: 16
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi,
I got soaked on my ride home the other day, I had some old Aldi 'waterproof' trousers on!
They can only be shower proof thats for sure.

What I'd like to know is what you ride home in when its raining. any recommendations etc?
Do I need 'over' trousers or something else?

Commute is all road, about 40 mins.

Many thanks
Alan

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    on the way home im not worried about how wet i get as i know im going to get home, put my bike in the garage and can have a warm shower and put some clean dry clothes on. Its on the way to work that you need to worry a bit more!

I dont wear anything other than my Gill cycling coat if its raining and its meant to be completely waterproof
  • So is that an all in one coat that covers your legs too?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I just get wet. My stuff mostly dries off hung up in the office during the day, and I have a shower and get changed when I get to work. Going home I can do the same.

I find waterpoofs just make you so hot and sweaty that you might as well be getting wet with rain instead.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    covbaldy wrote:
    So is that an all in one coat that covers your legs too?
    no its just my upper body, i find that im not that fussed about my legs getting wet as they are moving and therefore keeping warm. My upper body gets cold and the wind through the wet top isnt pleasant so i wear my coat!

i then dry my shorts in the office.

If it wasnt cold and it was raining id probably just put my overshoes on and get wet as the only thing that annoys me is wet feet!
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...in my experience over trousers are uncomfortable and make you sweat.. I.take a change of trousers, and socks and keep spare shoes at work...going home I just get wet...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Don't worry about my legs so I just stick with my lycra, either shorts, 3/4 or tights depending on the temp, it doesn't really hold the water and dries quickly..

Waterproof jacket, gloves and overshoes are crucial to my comfort though...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Cheap 'n' cheerful: regatta 'pack a mack' (actually quite good, light, small, waterproof and reasonably breathable, but a nasty green colour

And voluminous leggings from who-knows-where, which are like windsocks and frankly embarrassing. But still waterproof.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    covbaldy wrote:
    Hi,
    I got soaked on my ride home the other day, I had some old Aldi 'waterproof' trousers on!
    They can only be shower proof thats for sure.

If the waterproof trousers are old, they may need reproofing, a wash with a bottle of the appropriate nikwax stuff will bring the magic back.

I've now given up on waterproofs, they are either wind and shower resistant but let water in, or they are like waterproof and generate a suana like sweat which in most cases is much more unpleasant than getting wet.

Even with an ultra breathable lightweight waterproof coat on, the mild exercise of walking across waterloo bridge is enough to make me horribly damp inside - let alone hard physical exercise.

I've got some 3/4's that are reasonably waterresistant, and will dry quickly, some windproof layers, and a thin montane featherlight velo for those days it's really belting it down, to provide me with a bit more dryness time!

Legs stay wet, but I have a dry pair of trousers in my pannier!

HTH - Rufus.
  • I'm allergic to water. It burns my skin. i don't like getting wet. No seriously, I would prefer to stay dry as being soaked in cold weather and wind every week/day would give me permanent man-flu.