Sean Yates off to Astana

dbg
dbg Posts: 846
edited October 2007 in Pro race
Just read this on the BBC website. Anyone suprised?

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    dbg wrote:
    Just read this on the BBC website. Anyone suprised?

Deafening silence equals 'no'. As Sean points out, Johan has never had a rider test positive, so what's the issue, eh?

Strava is not Zen.
  • What's the surprise?
    The chap's out of work shortly, I don't know what pay-off he'll get from Disco, but doubtless not enough to retire on!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    I don't think commentary with Hugh Porter pays too well...

It seems a bit doubtful whether Astana is even going to exist next year, at this rate.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    I love the comment on the article on Cycling Weakly.

"I don't see how anybody with half a brain would associate a potentially new Astana with what has happened before, particularly if Bruyneel is involved." .

Yeah right Sean. Johan runs a nice clean ship as any damn fule no.

:roll:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    You'd think that as a part-time gardener, he'd know when to stop digging.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Good work everyone.

Keep your bile for Bruyneel and Astana. At least everything is hunky dory in Spain, Germany and Italy. If we bring him down then maybe we can get back to the status quo!
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    iainf72 wrote:
    Good work everyone.

Keep your bile for Bruyneel and Astana. At least everything is hunky dory in Spain, Germany and Italy. If we bring him down then maybe we can get back to the status quo!
    We let you produce the bile for T-Mobile. :wink:
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    Why? He's been happy to associate with Bruyneel before? Is he supposed to decline Astana now?

A strange sponsor, a country with an almost one party-state, little press freedom and allegations of election rigging is spending its money on a team; so far it's been a disaster, whereas once I thought of Kazakhstan as an oil rich land, along came Borat. Now I think of dirty cycling cheats, backed by senior state officials in denial.

But I guess Yates isn't going to decline the Kazakh cash in some bold political statement. The hand that feeds...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I guess it was inevitable that Johan would take Sean with him.

Dunno what the options are though - if we were in there place - what would you do - be out of a job or work for an employer with er, a less than good reputation.

Not sure that Astana are any worse than quite a few of the Pro teams to be honest - just that they're not very good at doping ?
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    If he's had no ethical qualms working with Bruyneel up to now, why exactly should he start now? The color of the team strip changes but we all believe the practices, whatever they may be, will remain the same for the Bruyneel camp. There is no real change of situation.
  • iainf72
    drenkrom wrote:
    If he's had no ethical qualms working with Bruyneel up to now, why exactly should he start now? The color of the team strip changes but we all believe the practices, whatever they may be, will remain the same for the Bruyneel camp. There is no real change of situation.

Except they're supposed to be implementing a CSC stylee monitoring process.

The question remains, if they used an external monitoring process, the best you can get, would you trust them?
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    I hardly consider paying large amounts of money to a company that is supposed to monitor you to be anything that can include the descriptives "independent" or "external". From what I've seen, the Damsgaard program looks solid, but as long as the people paying him directly will be the ones he's supposed to check, it'll leave a foul taste in my mouth.

The service being paid for is not to unmask dopers, but to protect the sponsor's reputation.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It all depends what's involved. Does anyone know what the CSC program involves?

Personally, given the dodgy past of the team, the allegations against Bruyneel and the fact that the sponsor is a sovereign stage with a printing press for money, they could go all the way. Dick Pound's quitting WADA, get him plus a panel of independent experts to monitor the riders and publish weekly their blood and hormonal values on the net for all to review. Then I might believe them...
  • iainf72
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    At the end of the day,it's a wage.Come on,how many of us with a 'normal' job can say we are 100% happy with our employers?
    It's a tough world out there,& the less than scrupulous companies seem to come out ahead of the ethically lead.
    As someone said to me,the good companies get put out of business by the bad,which get put out of business by the even worse.
    Look at the crop picking situaton in Lincolnshire,where the 'normal'job agencies loose contracts supplying labour,to the gangmasters,suplying cheaper labour.
    Don't we feed the problem,buying from the end of the chain?
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    This is all very upsetting. It taints one of my most joyous TdF memories - Sean in yellow, in England.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • andyp
    Eurostar wrote:
    This is all very upsetting. It taints one of my most joyous TdF memories - Sean in yellow, in England.
    Age withers your memory though - he took the yellow in 1994 the day after the Tour left England!
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Eurostar wrote:

Hi there.

I don't understand this at all.

Cheers, Andy
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    andyp wrote:
    Eurostar wrote:
    Age withers your memory though - he took the yellow in 1994 the day after the Tour left England!

Just to clarify - did he win it in England but only wore it the following day, or did he win it on the first day back in France (in a TT?), and therefore wore it the day after that?
  • I don't understand a lot of things, but I totally understand Yates taking a paying job, in cycling. Why would he do anything else? If I was in his shoes I would get my head below the parapet and do the job (since I've been given a chance to keep working).
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    A hypothetical question but if you knew your firm was a dodgy outfit and that your boss had broken rules in the past, do you keep working with the same person? Sure the salary might be good but if the bad ways get exposed, your reputation and honor get shredded...
  • Eurostar wrote:

Hi there.

I don't understand this at all.

Cheers, Andy
    I don't understand a lot of things, but I totally understand Yates taking a paying job, in cycling. Why would he do anything else? If I was in his shoes I would get my head below the parapet and do the job (since I've been given a chance to keep working).

Hi there.

I agree - what I meant was I don't understand why Eurostar's memories are tainted.

Cheers, Andy
  • andyp
    skut wrote:
    Just to clarify - did he win it in England but only wore it the following day, or did he win it on the first day back in France (in a TT?), and therefore wore it the day after that?
    He won it the day after the stage in Portsmouth in northern France. If memory serves he lost out to Gianluca Bortalami for the stage but just got the jersey by a second or so. Boardman was in yellow after the prologue on Lille but lost the jersey in the team time trial the day before the Tour came to the UK so UK fans just missed out on seeing a British rider in yellow.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yep he got the yellow after stage 6 Cherbourg - Rennes but Bortolami actually won the stage
    Vanzella was in yellow on stage 5