think electric

twowheels
twowheels Posts: 104
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
Commuting to work and back this year has taken its toll on me as I do a physical job throughout the day and then endure my ride home, 90% uphill. Previous years have not really bothered me but this year my work load has increased plus extra on Saturdays.
My round trip of 6miles is not really far but I am just basically knackered when I finish work.
I have started using the car a little bit more which is giving me guilt trips. I have been looking at alternative means of getting to work and back. Last week I was taking my daughter to school and noticed a guy on an electric assisted bike which impressed me.
He crossed a busy dual carriageway and rode up the hill past me with ease.

The bike was a powabyke 6speed euro. Has anyone had any experience with a power assisted machine?. Are they any good? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Leon

Comments

• Cyclegent
    Cyclegent Posts: 601
    Yes, I tried out a friend's bike which had one of those retro-fitted electric motors. It was surprisingly nippy, though they're only really designed to help you up hills. There are a few downsides though:

1. They make the bike very heavy
    2. Battery life is short, so if you run out of juice you'll be pedalling a very heavy bike
    3. They cost quite a lot.

I think you would be better off spending your money on a very lightweight road/touring bike with narrow tyres and a good range of gears. I always used to get very tired when riding a heavy steel bike with thick tyres, but since changing to a lightweight bike I don't get tired, and do 10 miles a day.
    \'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It\'s a daily mode of transportation. People don\'t dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.\' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.