Ex-commuter

psychle
psychle Posts: 83
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
It's four years now since a change in job brought an end to 10 years of cycle-commutting. But reading this forum has brought it all flooding back and I'm left feeling what can only be described as a real sense of grief. Like remembering a loved one that has passed away. I don't want to be melodramatic but honestly, that's what I'm feeling right now.

I know about the dark, cold mornings; the wet, slippery roads; the 'others' in their sense-inhibitting metal barges; fumbling with numb fingers on unlit roads to change a rear wheel tube, the headwind on the way home at the end of a long day... but mostly I remember flying in on cool clear mornings with the wind at my back and detouring off the direct route home on a warm summer evening.

If there's any point to this post it's just to say that I hope you all appreciate how lucky you are, how envious I am of you and how much I admire what you do. I'm sure you all know the HG Wells quote well enough... "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."

I doff my polystyrene shell to you all.

"Like a pig towing a cart-load of sausages - I draw my own conclusions"

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Sounds like another change of job might be in order....?
  • It's funny how cycling gets you that way isn't it? You curse the long slogs through the rain, the multiple p*******s, changing a tube in the cold and dark, getting to work cold and soaked, coming off on wet leaves and so on but after a while it's just part of the challenge. You wouldn't appreciate those glorious mornings without it!

I take it you still ride, psychle, and it's just the commute that's fallen by the wayside?
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • psychle
    Gussio wrote:
    Sounds like another change of job might be in order....?

If that's an offer, I'm all ears... :)

• Cyclegent
    Cyclegent Posts: 601
    I think we put up with the rain, cold etc because it is a challenge - it's us against the elements. Struggling on public transport is not a challenge because you are trapped and at the mercy of the bus or train driver.

Could you not incorporate cycling into your daily routine somehow? Either before/after work or as just part of your commute?
    \'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It\'s a daily mode of transportation. People don\'t dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.\' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.
  • psychle
    Shadowduck wrote:
    I take it you still ride, psychle, and it's just the commute that's fallen by the wayside?

Yeah, whenever I can. But it's sporadic. The job involves a fair bit of travelling the length and breadth of the UK. I've put on 10 kg and when I do get out I seem to have developed a tendency to fall off, resulting in less time on the bike (and some in hospital - but that's another story, fool that I am :roll: ).

• WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    i like the rain! Means more cars on the road which means more stationary traffic to ride around. No fairweather cyclists which makes for a clearer run also.

have to take it a bit easier, but that is quite calming.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I enjoy my commute more than my job...it's the reason I put up with so much c**p when I am at work...I get to ride my bike everyday and yes psychle I know exactly what you mean...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I got absolutely washed out on the way home last night, my shoes will take days to dry out they were so full of water, I actually smiled most of the way home, thinking of what people were thinking as I passed them in their cars there I was in lycra shorts wearing a "rain jacket" with no hood :D I came to the conclusion that being able to do that with a smile on my face made me look either tough as nails or off my rocker, dont mind either impression really :D.

I should think it will be worse when things are really cold, but I did take some kind of pleasure in not backing down to the elements, even though I had been offered a lift home for me and the bike by a workmate :D.
  • psychle
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...I enjoy my commute more than my job...it's the reason I put up with so much c**p when I am at work...I get to ride my bike everyday and yes psychle I know exactly what you mean...

But do you enjoy the commute more than you hate the job, if you see what I mean?
    Absolutely, commuting was the highlight of the day, but finally the cr*p got too much for me. I knew what I was sacrificing but then, life's full of tough decisions.
    Regrets? I've had a few, but then again....

• psychle
    DavidTQ wrote:
    I got absolutely washed out on the way home last night, my shoes will take days to dry out they were so full of water, I actually smiled most of the way home, thinking of what people were thinking as I passed them in their cars there I was in lycra shorts wearing a "rain jacket" with no hood :D I came to the conclusion that being able to do that with a smile on my face made me look either tough as nails or off my rocker, dont mind either impression really :D.

I should think it will be worse when things are really cold, but I did take some kind of pleasure in not backing down to the elements, even though I had been offered a lift home for me and the bike by a workmate :D.

Stop! The nostalgia! It's too much!

The perverse pleasure of riding home in heavy rain is an experience like no other. And it was always the ride home. I'll admit if the rain was pounding on the roof when the alarm went off and was still going when I opened the front door, I would reach for the car keys or head for the bus stop. But once I was at work there was no other option but to saddle up and go head-to-head with the elements to get home.

And home never felt more homely than when I was standing there dripping on the kitchen floor.