Giant SCR3 Wheels, whats wrong with them?

2»

Comments

• emaichael
    emaichael Posts: 109
    sounds like a big task...
  • Hello to all as this is my first post!! I've had my TCR zero for about 6 months and within the last couple of weeks had shed 3 front wheel spokes. I know that it isn't the most expensive of bikes and the wheels aren't the best(IOU555's) but it anoyed me that I couldv'e been doing a decent turn of speed when it happened.Add to that the attitude of the sales assistant when i took the wheel in to have it re-tensioned. Not helpful at all.
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    It is all about the build...
    Factory spoked wheels tend to have uneven tension, so ideally, the shop would get them up to tension before letting you go. Sounds like that is not happening. Poor spokes don't help. Also, if you have a cheap rim, it probably has poor quality control. That means that the rim might not be a bit or a lot out when the builder gets it, making it harder to get a good, even tension.

I bet a good wheelbuilder in your shop could rebuild the wheels with good spokes and have you ride off into the sunset!
  • I'd agree.

I took a good look at my spankin' new 2007 SCR3 yesterday. The front wheel was a little out of true, but the rear had a big 'ol wobble and is also out of true vertically. I took to my LBS, (the bike was mail-order) and they pretty much echoed what ACORN_USER said. I paid them to true things up laterally, but the rear still has a bit of 'flat spot' in it. I'm surprised at the condition of the rear wheel to be honest. Not that the factory let it out that way, but the fact the store shipped it like that. They give you reassurances that all is checked over before they pack it up and ship it out.

Anyway, given it's the winter, I'm going to see if I can make it through the winter on these, and splash out for something nicer come spring.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    if they were that bad when you recieved it why didn't you send it back? You shouldn't have to accept goods that are faulty and then pay to fix them yourself.
  • It was cheaper to pay the local guy to fix it than send 2 wheels back to the mail order place. Not to mention much much faster. A couple of hours vs. a couple of days...

I agree I shouldn't pay, but sometimes this is the cost of doing business mail order.

--
    Ben
  • emaichael
    my scr2 wheels are fine... but reading all of these posts i took my bike in 2days ago. and he checked the wheels thoroughly. and all was perfect, there completely straight to the human eye....and where i live, to get to work and back + 100mile club rides, i often go through pot holes/bumps in the road, every hour, and ive had no problems. is it because of my weight... i only weigh 7 and a half stone. or is it because of wheel quality?
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    That are apparently the same wheels if you bought your bike new.

Are they badged as Alex DA22's ?

You're certainly a tad lighter than me :oops: :lol:

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • emaichael
    yep there DA22's. (just checked now, lol)
    only today i was cycling along, and theres tram tracks going across the road, my wheel got slightly... lodged in it. really wet day, raining like hell, so slipped and fell.... scratched all the coverings on the gear area on the handle bars....
    and i buckled the back wheel slightly. was still ridable, but made a noise cus it was bent. the guy in the bike shop put it correct really quick and easy.... the wheels are fine.
    perfect again :) i don't know how people have problems with spokes snapping! ? :)
  • Panter
    Glad you and bike are Ok 8)
  • jkm
    jkm Posts: 80
    i am a bit supprised to hear that so many of you are having problems and then having to pay to fix the wheels.

after owning my LeMond Etape with alex wheels for 11 months one of the rear drive side spokes snapped causing a bit of a buckle as well. i took it to my LBS to be fixed and while they were truing/tensioning it another one broke. they promply phoned up Trek (LeMond owner & distributor) and arrange a replacement under warranty.
    the LBS also offered to get me an upgraded set if i wanted to pay the difference, so i now have a lovely set of open pro's on 105's with SS/DB spokes instead.

the LBS (thomas's cycle revolution) did this all off their own back with no foot stamping on my part, they also remembered me & the bike and dident even need to see proof of purchase or anything. this is why i try to use my LBS as often as possible rather than mail order.

a wheel that drops spokes doing the kind of rideing it was designed for is not "fit for purpose" demand a refund now!
  • emaichael
    or spend less time at kfc, lol (only jokin, i doubt any of u do)
    :)
  • Panter
    I'll post back in another 500miles or so with an update, or the piccs of some shiny new wheels, whichever way it goes

As promised :wink:

500 miles later and the original wheels are absolutely fine 8)
    Thats 500 fairly hard miles too :wink:

cheers

Chris :)
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    benny2891 wrote:
    I would think it must come down to build quality and / or the quality of the parts used. Provided all other variables are the same, the more spokes, the stronger the wheel. The heavier too.

Rubbish - Sheldons ideas are a little retro and not always correct. To me, reading his views and analysis, it seems that he had not moved on from the eighties.

Modern low count wheels are stronger and lighter then the old 32 3 cross designes. Some of this is due to better materials some to better design, With the advent of CAD and finite element analysis manufacturerers were able to design wheels that are lighter and stronger by desgining around demonstratable and measurable elements - not simple trial and error.

Getting back into cycling after a number of years on the couch I must admit I was a little scepticle of the new wheel designs but it works well . Lighter stiffer more aero - a lot more wheel for your $$$,
  • weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    emaichael wrote:
    my scr2 wheels are fine...... i only weigh 7 and a half stone.

no wonder they stay true for u. How tall are ya? I'm six foot and 11, 1/2 stone so thats over 50% heavier. I can't go much lighter 'cos I need to function off the bike at work and I end up way too tired.
    I think loading another 4 stone or so on the wheels would probably do it. Any one else ready to give their weight up.

(oh yeah thats nudey weight for me kitted up add on say another 1/2 stone ish)
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Just to add my views to the "SCR wheel debate".
    I bought a brand new pair off Ebay for my home built road bike from someone who was obviously upgrading their new SCR and selling the original ones on. I used them for about one year and 1500 miles on roads and occasionally gravel tracks around the New Forest.
    I have to say they performed faultlessly during that time with no broken spokes, no going out of true and no adjustment needed to the bearings. In fact when i eventually upgraded to Shimano WH-R500 wheels i sold them on again.
    However when i compared them to the new Shimanos i was surprised by the difference in the quality of the rims, the SCR Alex rims were much thinner in both width and depth and looked quite weak in comparison.
    So i suppose i was lucky that although they are of inexpensive construction mine must have been built well to survive 1500 miles of rough use.
    And i weigh at least 14 stone !!
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    To be honest I think the reason that the wheels on the SCR get a bad press is that the bike is often purchased by those new to cycling, and a certain percentage of those are going to be overweight.

I was a right fat tanker when I first bought my SCR, and perhaps unsurprisingly the wheel started shedding spokes. Fair play to Giant and my lbs, Fred Williams, they got the wheel rebuilt under guarantee and I've never had a problem with it since.
  • 400 miles since christmas and no spokes gone yet.
    Did have to get the wheel re trued as on sides spokes were not tensioned properley but no problems since. And yes I am/was a fatty 15st 12 when I got it but 14st 8 and dropping.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy