Sheffield riders (Nowt important, just chat)

Gambatte
Gambatte Posts: 1,453
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
Loved it last night. Left work near the ski village at 5:30, heading towards home at Maltby.

My usual route takes me out towards Brightside, but as I get there I go off right towards Attercliffe road and past M’hall Retail World to the M1 south junction.

Anyway last night, there was a lane out on Attercliffe road, just past the retail park. Traffic had backed up. Some had tried shooting over towards Brightside, which is always busy anyway, and as traffic built up there, some tried to shoot over towards Attercliffe. The whole area was SLOW.

Anyway figured this was a prime time to start practicing my filtering. First few 100yds thro’ the newly created ‘3rd lane’ was a bit of a struggle, narrow gaps etc.

So as I’m cycling I thought “its getting overcast, I’ll put the headlight on”. Now the bikes fitted with Smarts. So I pressed the button once and the 2.4w/5w light came on (can’t remenber what it is) and a few cars noticed, the way opened up a bit.

Bit further on I thought “What if….?”. I pressed again and turned on the 10W headlight.

It was like the parting of the red sea. Cars gravitating towards the nearest kerb and a nice big gap straight down the centre to the head of the queue and a clear road after

Int it great when 3-4 miles after a tailback like this you’re still recognising cars that you passed, just catching up? Makes you glad you left the cage on the drive.

For comparison, had the car today. Time to get from Rutland Rd to the Parkway 35mins. Overall journey would have been quicker by bike. Wouldn't have minded the rain!