giant scr 3 suited for audax?

benny2891
benny2891 Posts: 68
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Hello all,

I've been a utility cyclist for the past few years, riding my trusty ridgeback cyclone around 50 miles a week. I'm planning on getting into more recreational riding, audax in particular.

My budget is limited & I've been shopping around a little for a suitable road bike. I like the look of the Giant SCR 3 as a good all rounder, but wonder if it is a decent audax style bike. In all likelihood the new bike will become my main bike, with the cyclone going to Mrs. 2891 for the occasional family ride. So, I'm also wondering if the SCR 3 will handle the occasional jaunt on canal path type conditions.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    I'm a big fan of the Giant SCR bikes (I have an SCR 2), and I'd say they're fine for audax type rides in general. However, I think you'd have an uncomfortable time on the likes of towpaths. I'd recommend you to keep your Cyclone for that kind of riding and get the Giant SCR 3 for your longer distance stuff, assuming it's mostly going to be on surfaced roads.
  • Thanks for that.

I only asked about the canal paths as the only time I'd really be on them is when out with Mrs., and she would be on the Cyclone. In your opinion, is it a matter of comfort, or would I break the bike ? I'm also wondering if the bike will handle the atrociously bad roads around here. (I sometimes think the canal paths are smoother :wink: )
  • RedAende
    RedAende Posts: 158
    canal paths are smoother where I live too. You've answered your own question. I've never had any problem riding on skinny 23mm tyres and I think the SCR3 comes with slightly wider 26 or 28mm. BUT if its muddy you may want your old bike, and if its wet and muddy maybe your not out with the Mrs anyway ?

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot
  • BUT if its muddy you may want your old bike, and if its wet and muddy maybe your not out with the Mrs anyway ?

To be sure.
  • Ive got a SCR3 good entry level road bike done 2k miles on mine so far and love it. Dont use it off road buy an MTB. you would`nt knock a nail in with a screw driver.
  • emaichael
    emaichael Posts: 109
    lol, ive got a scr2 and there brilliant. We go out on club rides on weekends for miles, and theres usually an idiot running the group rides, and he ends up taking us.... off-road, when i say off road, i mean where theres bumps, stones, big roots, wholes, pot-holes, dips, muddy puddles, dips dips dips.
    and ive had no problems, if u go slowly and take it fairly easy the chances of getting a puncture is fairly minuscule. road bicycles are designed for road use Imho, but the fact is off road they will do fine in a realistic sense (please dont think am suggesting going off massive big jumps and stuff, because am not) but i got caught off guard by my club, and i ended up going everywhere in the country... on farm tracks, etc and i was like.... ''omg am going to get a puncture! '' but its surprising how good racing bikes are off road to a certain extent.
    its not a very uncomfortable ride... there is a limit to how comfortable a non-suspension bike can be anyway.. so basically the SCR2 is no worse than a MTbike without suspension. saying that its perfectly comfortable if you have a soft seat and those nice padded spandex! :)
    have fun
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I have a SCR2.0 and have done 400km audax rides on it. Chose not to use it for PBP, but intend to use it for the Maniac 1000km ride next year.

The SCR bikes are ideal for audax. Frame is good so well worth upgrading. Wheels first me thinks.
    More problems but still living....
  • Thanks for all the input.

Well, I took the plunge an ordered a 2007 SCR 3 at a reduced price. It should be here on Monday & I'm sure I will be happy with it.

I'm not planning on taking it anywhere near a trail with lots of tree roots, ruts, or mud. I'm just hoping it will be up to the gravel / paved Sustrans paths around Glasgow so me and the Mrs will be able to get out and bike together. She's not going to go near any real traffic for a while.

I could start a whole new thread on getting significant others into cycling...

Anyway, the paths aren't that rough, and we wouldn't be moving a fast pace either. I think I'll just do a test run on my own one afternoon and see how it goes. In any event, she's not getting on a bike for a while, as she is 7 months pregnant (our first !) :shock: :D :shock: :D:D:D So, it's going to be all on road for next several months at least.

I'm glad to hear folks are happy with the bike for audax. Long distance, fast touring, and audax all sound appealing. Once I get out and see how I feel with longer distances, I will enter some events and see how I get on. Maybe I'll see some of you there!
  • emaichael
    emaichael Posts: 109
    you can enter competitions on an scr 1/2/3/4. there dirt cheap for what you get.
    you will be fine on it... more than fine. well i cant get off my bike, right now i'm sitting on my scr2 usin a free roller.