Finished the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon in 9h 19mins, placed 76th over all

http://ironman.com//events/ironman/worl ... /&bib=1149

Could be a new career for him. :D:D:D

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Buy him a pair of water wings for next year and he'd be a real contender :P
  • Hi there.

Jaja went from 1145th to 105th on the bike - that's a lot of overtaking!

Interestingly he kept on making up places 3-09 off the bike is a very respectable run.

Cheers, Andy
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    excellent effort. Out of curiosity...... was he the fastest on the bike?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I think he did about 4:45 on the bike. The top guys were doing about 4:30s, weren't they? Last year, Normann Stadler did a 4:18. Bear in mind Jaja is about 39 though!

Makes me wonder if guys like Normann and Faris could cut it in the peloton.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Bettered by Kai Hundertmarck who was 23rd overall in 8:53:03 with splits of

Swim - 1:03:09
    Bike - 4:32:41
    Run - 3:11:23

His transition times were:

T1: SWIM-TO-BIKE 2:48
    T2: BIKE-TO-RUN 3:02

Jalaberts splits were

Swim - 1:15:40
    Bike - 4:45:49
    Run - 3:10:08

T1: SWIM-TO-BIKE 4:36
    T2: BIKE-TO-RUN 3:45

What Jaja lost on the swim, he made up on the bike over Kai and their marathon times were there or there abouts. He needs to improve his times thtough transition though.

All the same, to complete Kono in the top 100 - superb!!!!
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Wow! Those are looooooong transitions. Of course, swimming needs to be worked on, but there is a world of difference between pool training and sea racing with more than 1000 people around you. That's not something you learn quickly.

Having been a triathlete that became a road cyclist that still dabbled in triathlons, I can assure you many of those guys could ride very competitively in the peloton, especially on TTs. They usually can't climb to save their life, though. And their tactical sense is usually sub-par. They can develop to be beasts on the bike, though. The best example of that possibility has the initials L.A.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Bettered by Kai Hundertmarck who was 23rd overall in 8:53:03 with splits of

Swim - 1:03:09
    Bike - 4:32:41
    Run - 3:11:23

T1: SWIM-TO-BIKE 2:48
    T2: BIKE-TO-RUN 3:02

Jalaberts splits were

Swim - 1:15:40
    Bike - 4:45:49
    Run - 3:10:08

T1: SWIM-TO-BIKE 4:36
    T2: BIKE-TO-RUN 3:45

What Jaja lost on the swim, he made up on the bike over Kai and their marathon times were there or there abouts. He needs to improve his times thtough transition though.

All the same, to complete Kono in the top 100 - superb!!!!

I dare say though that he isn't too fussed about being ultra competitive and fast in the transitions. I'm guessing he's done it as a bit of a challenge. Although he could be looking at a masters career in tri, I'd imagine that if he wants that it would be more fruitful on his bike though.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dont forget that Spencer Smith tried life in the Pro Peleton, but went back to Tri.

Its a really different life isnt it ? Triathletes only race once a week really - at max.
    Cyclists can do 3 weeks in a row.

He did a fantastic performance considering he's just a keen amateur now. I wonder if Mr Armstrong was watching at home ?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I guess Lance must have been a short-course racer when he was young. Given how he only just hit his target of a 3 hour marathon last year, I don't think he'd get anywhere near Jaja in an ironman.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • cougie wrote:
    Dont forget that Spencer Smith tried life in the Pro Peleton, but went back to Tri.

Its a really different life isnt it ? Triathletes only race once a week really - at max.
    Cyclists can do 3 weeks in a row.

He did a fantastic performance considering he's just a keen amateur now. I wonder if Mr Armstrong was watching at home ?

Hi there.

If I remember right Spencer went to cycling after failing a drug test at the Hawaii Ironman... Was he banned from tri at the time?

Cheers, Andy
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I should know this cos I read the book that the guy who 'ran' Linda McCartney wrote. Good book.

Er a bit of googling, and brings up this : http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... llies.html

So it looks like a positive that two bodies ruled was a negative. I 'raced' against him last month and he kicked my ass royally as an ex champ would. I like to think he was clean.