After riding??

dart
dart Posts: 35
edited October 2007 in MTB beginners
I've been MTB'ing a few months and could do with a bit of advise. Other than cleaning the bike down and giving it some TLC after a ride what else should I be doing. Is there a kind of idiots guide check list????? Check this, lube that, have that serviced etc......
Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Comments

• dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I always make sure my breaks are adjusted right after a ride, make sure there is no obvious damage, clean and re-lube the gearing and spin the wheels to be sure they are still running smooth. Read the manual for the bike, the forks and other components will requite certain checks and things which will be outlined in the manual.

My fork manual tells me to check the forks for damage after every rids, re oil the seals after 10hrs riding and so on.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • dart
    Thanks, one thing i have noticed is a bit of a build up of crud on the chain, can you recomend a good chain cleaning gadget, I've seen a few out there but I don't know the pro's and con's. Also when lubing the seals on the forks is their a particular lube you should or shouldn't use? I was concerned about damaging the seals.
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Fairy liquid and a stiff brush on the chain, followed by GT85 then a chain lube.

As for forks, spray the stanchions liberally with GT85, pump a few times, wipe, done.
  • fabienno1
    fabienno1 Posts: 406
    Better still for cleaning the gears of general biking detritus i.e old lube mixed with dust aand mud etc is mucoff degreaser. All you need to do is spray it on leave for a few miuntes then wash off with a hose. Works on anything where old lube needs to be removed such as disc brakes and fork seals. Then obviously relube the chain afterwards with either finish line or rock n roll (both can be found on chainreactioncycles) or WD40/ Competitor.
    <hr>

Do what you fear, you won\'t regret it.

You are only as brave as your skill level.
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    I use one of these;

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail ... tem=CG%2D2

For my chain and the brush on the cassette. Bring them up like new in then less then a minute. 8)
  • djdime
    djdime Posts: 48
    shin0r wrote:
    As for forks, spray the stanchions liberally with GT85, pump a few times, wipe, done.

thats not true - i have always been told and read that you shouldnt use solvent based lubricants on forks as they can corrode the seals.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Clean the chain, squirt GT85 on it then something like wax-based White Lightening. GT85 into derailleurs to get rid of gunk.
    Leave the forks - my 2004 Marzocchi Marathons get a service every 2-3 years, full oil change and seals replaced. Just keep the stanchions free of crud.
    Check air in shock, again my 7 year old Fox Float R was serviced once and Pro-pedalled by Mojo 2 yrs ago, now never noticeably loses air.
    Check tyres for cuts, check brakes and rims/pads rotors if discs - just spin the wheels and listen for odd noises.
    Check frame for cracks, especially near welds.
    Check handlebars for cracks or anything odd looking (especially carbon bars).
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    From personal experience, give the wheels a check, in particular check for broken spokes. You may not realise any are broken but on the rear the wheel will soon go out of alignment and you may notice bad gear changes etc.

After a muddy ride give the bike a wash, let it dry, re-lube the chain, this will transfer lube to the sprockets etc. Clean and re-lube the gear cables, especially where they run through sleeves. You could even put a coat of general wax polish on the frame to help washing it the next time!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    djdime wrote:
    shin0r wrote:

thats not true - i have always been told and read that you shouldnt use solvent based lubricants on forks as they can corrode the seals.

GT85 is safe on rubber and plastic, and leaves a slick Teflon coat.
  • djdime
    djdime Posts: 48
    shin0r wrote:
    djdime wrote:
    shin0r wrote:

GT85 is safe on rubber and plastic, and leaves a slick Teflon coat.
    my bad - thanks for the heads up
  • Neily03 wrote:
    I use one of these;

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail ... tem=CG%2D2

For my chain and the brush on the cassette. Bring them up like new in then less then a minute. 8)

i use something similar to this from finishline....

def works well.....
    some vids, hope its helpful...

http://www.finishlineusa.com/
  • i just wipe the fork stanchions clean, and the seals, check the wheels and brakes.
    i only put a few drops of gt85 on the seals once every 2 weeks or so as the seals on most forks dont need lubricating. just turn your bike upside down for about 1/2 hour before a ride, thats all the lubing they need.
  • dart
    Thanks for all the pointers, V useful, looks like I might spend more time cleaning checking and lubing than riding what with having to do two bikes mine and the wifes!!

If anyones got any advise on how to get the wife to clean her own bike it would be much appreciated. She figures she has to take her gloves off to clean the bike and then risks chipping her nail varnish!

Thanks again!
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I keep getting a stiff rear brake cable after cleaning my bike, I make sure I spray de-watering type stuff where the cable enters the outer sleeve but some how water must be getting in there, any tips or helpers???
  • Steve - get some gt85 on it. thats a water displacer, and a lubricant, which leaves a protective PTF lubricating film once it has dried (after displacing the water).
    i use it, and pump the brakes to get all of the cable close to the cable casing covered after spraying, so theres no water left to do any damage.
    im sure gt85 is a godsend for bikers! :D
  • Sev101
    Sev101 Posts: 56
    Hint for getting her to clean!!

Next time she says she wants a new one say that you have reservations as she did not look after the old one!

Worked a treat mrs me is now cleaning like a demon to get her new one!

Evil aren't I!! :evil: