PTP next year

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2007 in Pro race
I know it's early but I guess we should have some kind of discussion around it. Obviously, if it remained the PTP and followed the ProTour it would barely have any interesting races in it.

Should we come up with a system broadly based on this years calender? Maybe drop some of the lame races and add a couple of other decent ones? (Het Volk and Crit intl for example)

Thoughts?

I fully expect Andy "ET" P to test positive in the next couple of weeks but his A samples have already been destroyed so he'll get away with it.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    For the year that is in it, would it be worth considering inclusion of the Olympic road race plus the Worlds.?

Also, what about extending the scope (easy to say, seeing as I don't have afx's task of compiling the results) and including an event like the Tour de l'Avenir plus perhaps 3 or 4 of the mains womens events also - Nurburger, Plouay, Worlds,Olympics ?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I say we just make our own calendar, roughly based on the Pro Tour but cutting out some of the chaff. The overlapping events like Tirreno-Adriatico and Catalunya should go... they never get half the predictions of Paris-Nice and the Giro.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    I say we just make our own calendar, roughly based on the Pro Tour but cutting out some of the chaff. The overlapping events like Tirreno-Adriatico and Catalunya should go... they never get half the predictions of Paris-Nice and the Giro.

I agree - we should keep the pro tout points system for the races that we keep but have dropped out of the Pro Tour.

Cheers, Andy
  • mangaman
    mangaman Posts: 704
    I agree as well

Lets bin the Eneco tour as well
  • Hold your horses boyos!

You can't just wipe out the 'monuments' like Tirreno-Adriatico, Catalunya and ENECO - think of the history - think of all the points I scored in those races!!

:oops:

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • iainf72
    Tirreno-Adriatico is a race with some history and interest though...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,142
    iainf72 wrote:
    I fully expect Andy "ET" P to test positive in the next couple of weeks but his A samples have already been destroyed so he'll get away with it.
    These are unfounded allegations and my lawyers will be in touch. I have never tested positive and my relationship with Dr Michele Ferrari is purely to discuss training plans.

:oops:
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Dear All
    I think the ProTour changes/demise gives us a good opportunity to modify & improve the PTP.
    We could add events not inluded in the PT previously, but I don't think races need to be dropped. They may not have the history or allure of other races, but stage races such as Tir-Ad get the season moving & can prove good pointers to riders to watch going forward.
    Also the Tours of Down Under & Langkawi receive TV coverage and would sit well in competition.

I've really enjoyed the PTP, & has helped my understanding & knowledge of racing enormously as a relative newcomer to the sport. I can't wait to get going in 2008, & getting the Maillot Jaune in the TdF was a highlight for me this year.

many thanks, regards & safe riding

Greg
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    How about including some of those obscure 2nd division German races...
    Half man, Half bike
  • iainf72
    Ridgerider wrote:
    How about including some of those obscure 2nd division German races...

The Tour of Germany is already in there :D
  • ridgerider
    :D

Just trying to tilt next year in my favour, that's all...

We have got to keep Poland in, surely!
    Half man, Half bike
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I vote to keep the existing races but suggest we limit new entries to the Olympics and RR which we rate as monuments.

Adding others (Women's, non-Euro stage races) might raise questions as to how we rate these on the points system - with the possible exception of races added by UCI which would then come with ranking sorted - plus give afx too much work.

Strava is not Zen.
  • ridgerider
    Just a thought...

I have always thought that the points system for the stage races are all about picking the overall winners as opposed to stage winners, i.e. if you don't get any GC points, you can only pick up scraps even if you pick every stage winners

Can we not up the scoring for stage winners to keep people interested in races if their GC pick is struggling/dns/clean?
    Half man, Half bike
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    Ridgerider wrote:
    :D
    We have got to keep Poland in, surely!

Absolutely, I'm looking forward to defending my win from this year!

I agree with everything Greggyr said.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink: