Paris-Tour spoiler

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited October 2007 in Pro race
DAAAAMN I thought I was gonna take an outstanding PTP victory there :x

Comments

• afx237vi
    I picked Pozzato btw. Petacchi wins it, McEwen nearly kills Oscar Friere!
  • Pozzato blew it - a bit of cooperation with Gilbert and they may have had a better chance, he spent too much time looking over his shoulder. What is it with Italian riders and Gilbert? Anyone read that article with Carlos Da Cruz where he said the Italian guys give Gilbert a really hard time in the peleton?

Great result for Pettach and a team in need of a big win - it's been coming, pity he wasn't at the Tour, he'd have won many a stage.
  • Milram-fan wrote:
    Pozzato blew it - a bit of cooperation with Gilbert and they may have had a better chance, he spent too much time looking over his shoulder. What is it with Italian riders and Gilbert? Anyone read that article with Carlos Da Cruz where he said the Italian guys give Gilbert a really hard time in the peleton?

Great result for Pettach and a team in need of a big win - it's been coming, pity he wasn't at the Tour, he'd have won many a stage.

Gilbert's a Belgian representative in the professional cyclists' union, if I remember correctly. He's also very critical of doping and I can only guess this is why idiots like Pozzato and others give him a hard time in the peloton. One might say that Pozzato was simply sabotaging the breakaway's chances for his teammate Cicchi, but I'm of the alternative view.
  • afx237vi
    Or it could be that Pozzato was the best sprinter in the group and wanted to be towed to the line. That's just what happens sometimes without there being an ulterior motive - sometimes riders would rather screw up the entire breakaway rather than work too hard and get beaten at the line, a la Horner and Chavanel at the Tour a couple of years ago.