Branches across paths

dannyg
dannyg Posts: 59
edited October 2007 in MTB rides
Who keeps putting branches across routes?

It's really doin' my head in, every time i go out in my local area (Wakefield, West Yorkshire) there's more branches across the pathways. They'll be around 4 or 5 inches in diameter.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm seeing it around Newmillerdam, Haw Park Woods and various other places.

Regards,

Danny (bored of bunny hopping)
Dan daren't but he did anyway!!

Boardman Mountain Pro
Boardman Hybrid Team

Comments

• There was a huge debate on this forum about this not so long ago. Everyone from local hoolies to the militant arm of the 'red sock brigade' were blamed. guess its just best to write this off as the work of idiots - just give 'em a slap (metaphotically if you like) if you catch 'em.

By the by i used to ride round NMD as a nipper on my BMX with my mates over 20 years ago. Seeing that name brought back a few memories! 8)
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • I know on Cannock Chase there has been similar problems
    Where'd that bloody Deer appear from?

My Bike plus Cannock Chase: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8222097@N03/492524919/
  • Same problem here on the on a specifc local trail in Torquay. There is a bridal path through the woods which the dog walkers think (wrongly) is a footpath and some individuals have 'wisely' tried to block a blind turn with some logs.
  • dude i see this all the time. especially at hampstead heath where you arent allowed to cycle they have put big sleepers into the ground so that you crash off your bike. its a real danger. but all i can say is bunny hop them or hit them front on. lol happy riding.
    the retarded company wont deliver the parts i need my rockhoppers out of it for a while....
  • Maybe the "not allowed to cycle" is a giveaway there...
  • yeah but its the best place to cycle for me. and those sleepers add more fun cause of higher risk. w00t for hampstead heath.
    the retarded company wont deliver the parts i need my rockhoppers out of it for a while....
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    This was a prominent feature of one of the tracks we ride but its thankfully been cut down by the council.

Used to provide some hairy moments when me and my mate martin were racing to see who could get there first though.... :D
  • thaibog
    thaibog Posts: 271
    Many in the chilterns too..big sticks over the paths..we think they are more for the motor scooter boys.....Mud is back though..bridlepaths unrideable....horse detritius everywhere....dust down my footpath ninja suit for winter...

I believe its actually only an offence to ride on a footpath beside a paved highway?
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    thaibog wrote:
    Many in the chilterns too..big sticks over the paths..we think they are more for the motor scooter boys.....Mud is back though..bridlepaths unrideable....horse detritius everywhere....dust down my footpath ninja suit for winter...

I believe its actually only an offence to ride on a footpath beside a paved highway?

However, riding on a "countryside" footpath would be trespass - I seem to remember seeing somewhere that you could even be committing trespass if you walked with your bike on a footpath. Something to do with the definition of walking I think!!?
  • jayson wrote:
    This was a prominent feature of one of the tracks we ride but its thankfully been cut down by the council.

Used to provide some hairy moments when me and my mate martin were racing to see who could get there first though.... :D

NIce !!!

I have something like that on my commute every day, I just know one days it will all go very wrong !!
  • Wow, this has reminded me of something I was going to post but completely forgot:

I'm riding along the Tarka Trail a couple of saturdays ago and I've just stopped to move a branch off the track when I come across another branch about a hundred meters further on. Full of righteous indignation and civic pride I stop again. I carry on and see a guy walking along by himself and so wonder if he's a bit of a tw@ and putting the branches on the track. As I approach him though his dog comes out of the bushes at the side of the track dragging a branch, drops it across the track and runs of to find another! The guy sees this one and picks it up and chucks it in the hedge. They're all out to get us, even the dogs!
    There's always one more idiot than you bargained for.
  • flybywire
    flybywire Posts: 575
    Yeah, it's the dogs not the owners.. :? :?:
  • neilmac
    neilmac Posts: 22
    there's a huge branch across the skyline trail at Afan, on the fast forward section. be warned! :twisted: