Guardians of sporting ethics or...

LangerDan
LangerDan Posts: 6,132
edited October 2007 in Pro race
...grasping local politicos trying to weasel their way out of paying their bills. I'm seeing their threat to refuse to pay the UCI because of "inaction in the fight against doping" in a different light now:

Hosting the World Championships has left the city of Stuttgart with a deficit of between 700,000 and one million euro. "It is hard for me to think that the taxpayers should cover this," said Stuttgart Mayor for Culture, Education and Sport Dr. Susanne Eisenmann, according to the dpa.

Stuttgart has not yet paid the UCI 600,000 euro and the German federation 75,000 euro owed, as had been earlier agreed. The city is also owed money, as the Bundesinnenministerium ('Ministry of the Interior') has not yet given it 150,000 euro as promised. Nor has the city received its full payment from Infront, a Swiss agency which was responsible for marketing the championships. "It is our goal to reach an agreement with all of our partners and not to have to go to court," Eisenmann said.
'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'

Comments

• No great surprise there is there?
    Just wait 'til the full bill for the Oympics hits us! :cry:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.