Cateye EL530/LD110 problems

heathrow86
heathrow86 Posts: 228
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
I have just tried to put the above lights on my bike. However I am having a lot of trouble sliding the light out of the holding bracket, I almost broke the light trying it seems very stiff.
Also when fitting the front light holder to the handlebars I am having difficulty pushing through the strap that goes around the bars.

I sound confused any suggestions?

Comments

• homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    I know this might sound obvious but you have noticed the quick release catch on the front light? There's a little clip button to stop it flying off. Mine works fine as long as I remember that.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Heathrow, I have the same type of problems, but have been able to resolve them.

I'm sure you've tried this, but what works for me is:
      with the front light, make sure you are pushing the strap through at the same time as turning the screw...the screw mechanism doesn't seem strong enough to pull it through itself to release the front light, I'm sure you've found the button on the side that you need to press in? with the back light, I do find this very stiff. Again, you need to press in the tab that hangs down from the bottom of the frame, and then I just wiggle it side to side and upwards.
  • Lbaguley
    Lbaguley Posts: 161
    What homercles said. Plus - the strap isn't pushed through on the front light. Put in into the slot and there's a 'nob' you twist to tighten the fastening - was quite impressed that it can be fitted tool-free - nice touch!

Good luck heathrow86...
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    Lbaguley wrote:
    ...was quite impressed that it can be fitted tool-free - nice touch!

Was less impressed when I had to take mine off the other day - the ratchet mechanism bites into the plastic of the band and pretty much sets solid. Took 45 minutes and a fair old splashing with WD40 (trying to avoid covering the thumbscrew!) before it was detached from the bars. Have since applied a light coating of grease to the thread so hopefully won't be a problem again.
  • Lbaguley wrote:
    What homercles said. Plus - the strap isn't pushed through on the front light. Put in into the slot and there's a 'nob' you twist to tighten the fastening - was quite impressed that it can be fitted tool-free - nice touch!

Good luck heathrow86...

I have to say that I much prefer a good old clamp that needs a screwdriver or allen key to lock in place, I don't think these tool free jobs will stand the test of time.
    Tarpaullynn
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Lbaguley wrote:

Good luck heathrow86...

I have to say that I much prefer a good old clamp that needs a screwdriver or allen key to lock in place, I don't think these tool free jobs will stand the test of time.

I like the strap clamp because it fits on my slightly profiled bars, whereas an ordinary circular band doesn't go round them.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    topcattim wrote:
    Lbaguley wrote:

Good luck heathrow86...

I like the strap clamp because it fits on my slightly profiled bars, whereas an ordinary circular band doesn't go round them.

I got a Cateye EL410 for the same reason as an emergency cover for the road bike.
  • Pop the end off the centre of the bit where the nut is and you should be able to remove the bolt all together, the tongue can then be moved freely

Just discovered this after reading the above and thinking 'there has to be a better way. :D
    Fat bloke, on a nice-ish bike.