Giant SCR2

Max_Man
Max_Man Posts: 185
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Another "Which Bike" thread I'm afraid.... :D

I had a proper look and sit on a Giant SCR2 today and I really liked it, seem's a bit more relaxed than the other's I've tried. So my question is....out of the following which would be the best buy for a road bike newbie? It will be used for a commuter and weekend rides.

1. Giant SCR2 (08)
2. Trek 1200 (Left over rom last year)
3. Specialized Allez (08)
4. Specialized Allez Sport (Left over rom last year)

Honest opinions please.

Ta :D

Comments

• ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    Hi MAX-MAN,I certainly like the look of the SCR 2. A triple chainset and mudguard compatable are two big pluses to me.Spesh bikes are allways good value for money,are they triples,doubles or campact chainsets and are they mudguard compatable? I'm sorry I don't know the answers myself.I've had a Giant TCR 2 for last 4 years, been really impressed with it and done nearly 20,000 miles on it. I use a spesh tricross for the winter though, as my giant doesn't take full guards. 1 vote for the scr2 :D
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've got an Allez Sport ('06) and I love it.

Great bike but starts to take its toll on me after about 4 hrs of constant riding.

Possible short-comings for you. I believe they only take raceblades (just bought a set of SKS' myself) and while they keep the majority of the guff off you I wouldn't like to say whether they're good enough to commute to work on.

A nice bike though and while I've already kind of got into a "relegated for winter/wet weather" mentality with it pending a spending spree in early '08, I certainly intend to keep it in good nick.

As for the SCR, well I went past a bloke on Sunday morning on an SCR1.0. Not sure whether the frames are different but he had full muddies on. I suspect the SCR takes full guards but I guess it could have been a makeshift job he'd done.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    SCR's take full mudguards and panniers, big plus for year round commuting. Relaxed geometry means a slighlty more upright position which is good for cycling traffic if you need to on your commute.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Giant SCR 2.0There seems a growing following for this capable bike.
    My pal bought one for his 50th Birthday as he was returning to cycling after years of non-riding. He loves it, I've ridden it and it's a super machine for less that half the price of my TCR it's excellent. Good all-round capabilities too, you could TT it or go for some long-distance Audax/ credit card touring as well as 4 season commutes.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • sbullett
    sbullett Posts: 139
    Had my SCR2.0 for nearly 4 months now, using it for commuting (15 miles each way, quite hilly) and weekend / evening rides (up to a couple of hours at a stretch).

It has full mudguards with 700-25 tyres, and has the braze-ons for a rack. The gearing is fine with the triple giving you a handy granny gear and still being able to go ludicrously fast on the downhills. Managed to get up Holme Moss yesterday into a monster headwind (@ 4mph :( ) and managed 52mph on the descent :shock:

I find it very comfortable, given that it's the first road bike I've had for 25 years I was worried about this, but I've had no real problems at all and am totally converted to drop bars again! Go for the SCR, you won't be disappointed.....
  • Max_Man
    Think I'll get the SCR2 as it has the fixings for mud-guards and rack, may need these as I already commute and see how useful they could be.

One other question I do have... I have a snobbish mate and he looks down on Giant, he says they aren't as well made as say Spesh/trek and just a bit cheapo...can't see where he get's this from as it looks just as good as the other's to me...any comments?

Ta
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    Giant are popular bikes,IMO the main reason for this is value for money.Look on the roads there's loads of people riding them.We can't all be wrong.I ride a spesh tricross in the winter and have had to have the bottom bracket & the headset replaced after only 8000 miles, my giant tcr has done 20000 miles on original parts,don't see where your mates coming from. :?
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Hi

I too had a dilemma over what to buy last month!!!

Try your hardest to ride the bikes you are interested in and go for what you like!

In the end I bought the SCR online for £419 delivered!!! :wink:

SCR 2 for £419 ?? linky please !
  • Max_Man
    MrGrumpy wrote:
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Hi

I too had a dilemma over what to buy last month!!!

Try your hardest to ride the bikes you are interested in and go for what you like!

In the end I bought the SCR online for £419 delivered!!! :wink:

SCR 2 for £419 ?? linky please !

Yes please, £545, best I've found
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Max_Man wrote:
    Think I'll get the SCR2 as it has the fixings for mud-guards and rack, may need these as I already commute and see how useful they could be.

One other question I do have... I have a snobbish mate and he looks down on Giant, he says they aren't as well made as say Spesh/trek and just a bit cheapo...can't see where he get's this from as it looks just as good as the other's to me...any comments?

Ta

Your mate's being a bit of a a pillock!
    Giant are not only the worlds biggest bike manufacturer they are also world leaders in bicycle manufacturing technology both in Aluminium and Carbon. I agree that they might not be as sexy as other brands but with their buying power you get excellent technology and finish at very reasonable prices.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • Max_Man
    Fab Foodie wrote:
    Your mate's being a bit of a a pillock!
    Giant are not only the worlds biggest bike manufacturer they are also world leaders in bicycle manufacturing technology both in Aluminium and Carbon. I agree that they might not be as sexy as other brands but with their buying power you get excellent technology and finish at very reasonable prices.

I thought as much, thank's Fab Foodie.

PS..you should have seen his face when I mentioned MudGuards... :D:D
  • reefman
    reefman Posts: 14
    Try out Bikes u like on Ebay I bought a Giant SCR ltd (Giant 1.5) for £430 plus £15 delivery.
    Fantastic bike full tiagra groupset.
    They retail at £650 in the shops.

Reefman