Fair weather cyclist question

hsd3
hsd3 Posts: 14
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Hi

I don't mind getting soaked on the way home from work as I can change, dry off etc.
However, I need to stay reasonably presentable on the 'to work' journey'

Are there any waterproof covers designed to go over a normal cycle helmet to keep hair dry?

Soft question I know, but the little things make a difference.

Thanks in advance, H

Comments

• mascott
    mascott Posts: 190
    hi
    there are....but i havent got details im afraid....
    i work for the ambulance service and we were given some bright yellow ones. i have to say i didnt really get on with it as it got very hot and you just seemed to sweat more through your head!

if i find one of my old ones i will let you know

most of our gear was supplied by evans so try them perhaps
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    I was gonna ask the exact same question! Only have a 2 mile commute and don't mind getting soaked as we have showers and take full set of dry clothes but my hair getting wet is a problem. I'd be interested to know of any ways to stay dry

are any of the windproof skullcaps you put under your helmet reasonably waterproof? I have the altura night vision jacket which you can buy a hood for, anyone know if it fits over a helmet??
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    It was bouncing it down this morning and I got to use my 'skullcap' that I got from the Aldi sale a few weeks back, underneath the helmet and kept the rain out, I should imagine other skullcaps do the same job.....
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    :lol:

https://www.laprovence.co.uk/c-54-shower-caps.aspx

Super cute, this shower cap will keep your beautiful locks dry whilst your singing in the shower ( or cycling in the rain )
  • Steveorow wrote:
    I've just ordered one of those - I thought about a skull cap but I figured there'd still be water coming in through the vents and running down my face. :(

Whenever I get it I'll report back* after the first rainy commute.

* If I remember.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    Cling film.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I have a jacket with a hood.

But I also have a towel at work - surely easier to towel dry your hair when you get in, and then let it dry?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Shave your head.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Garybee wrote:
    Shave your head.
    Daniel B wrote:
    But I also have a towel at work - surely easier to towel dry ... *snip*
    I have a #4 buzz-cut and a towel at work! :lol:

Even so, it's still unpleasant having a wet head and water running down into your eyes for half an hour...
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • i know a lot of time trialers cover there helmet in cling film for extra aerodynamics, keeps yer head dry as well!!!
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • hsd3
    hsd3 Posts: 14
    Thanks everyone.
    I have ordered a Carradice Pro Route Helmet Cover from sjscycles

H
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    hsd3 wrote:
    Thanks everyone.
    I have ordered a Carradice Pro Route Helmet Cover from sjscycles

H
    Damn! You were too quick. You could have sported one of these:
    B.png

I happen to know that they'll fit over a helmet, are breathable and keep (most of) the rain off. And, when someone asks if it's a wig, you can say, "Of course it's a wig! It's got a feck'n chinstrap!."
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    Daniel B wrote:
    I have a jacket with a hood.

But I also have a towel at work - surely easier to towel dry your hair when you get in, and then let it dry?

perhaps for a bloke. Not only having long hair but weird hybrid hair (it's straight for the most part but the front seems to go afro if it gets wet) towel drying really doesn't do the trick!
  • Get yourself a cotton cycling cap like the the link below:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=1164

They keep you head warm in the winter and are surprisingly waterproof.

Nic