back light

gjack
gjack Posts: 11
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
i am looking for a really cheap back light for my road bike do you think the would be suitable as i got a really good front light

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Tope ... -14799.htm

Comments

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Why go cheap on a rear light? Isn't making sure a motorist doesn't ass-ram you more important than saving a few measly quid :?:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Smart 1/2 Watt Superflash is the brightest cheap light around (I think £12.99 is cheap).
  • gjack
    gjack Posts: 11
    yep can anybody recommend me other back lights then i don't want to may more than £20
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Doesn't Wiggle have a big offer on winter lights at the moment? I'm quite sure they do, because I got one of their emails that seemed to detail loads of lights with discount on them.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • alfablue wrote:
    The Smart 1/2 Watt Superflash is the brightest cheap light around (I think £12.99 is cheap).

2nd that, I got one and it's practically blinding (no exaggeration either!)
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I know that this is more than your budget but I really think the extra tenner would be well spent - these have two different arrays of LEDS so you can have one constant (better for helping drivers judge distance to you) and the other flashing (very noticeable). It also has lights at the end so cars coming at you from the the rear-quarters can see you.

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... 7&N=Cateye TL LD1100 Rear Light
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    jedster wrote:
    I know that this is more than your budget but I really think the extra tenner would be well spent - these have two different arrays of LEDS so you can have one constant (better for helping drivers judge distance to you) and the other flashing (very noticeable). It also has lights at the end so cars coming at you from the the rear-quarters can see you.

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... 7&N=Cateye TL LD1100 Rear Light

Good light, worth the extra ten pounds. Why skimp on safety?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • My Cateye LD600 was only about £15 and it's blindingly great. It also looks very smart on my road bike because it can be mounted vertically. I think it's being replaced by a new model which is very similar.

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/267
  • techase
    techase Posts: 15
    Just bought Cateye LD610. Cycling Plus Best Buy! £19.99. I'll let you know when it arrives!
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    techase wrote:
    Just bought Cateye LD610. Cycling Plus Best Buy! £19.99. I'll let you know when it arrives!

run one of these and the earlier LD600 on my commute bike, exellent lights, you won't be dissapointed. Agree with earlier comments, no point buying cheap lights, get ones that work and let you be seen by other road users.
  • you are more likey to get hit from behind....but the best you can, or as i do run 2-3 smaller cheaper ones.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    you are more likey to get hit from behind....but the best you can, or as i do run 2-3 smaller cheaper ones.

Are you sure about this? As far as I was aware there was less chance of being hit from behind, from my experience, most near/actual collisions come from the front.
  • *snip* ... or as i do run 2-3 smaller cheaper ones.
    I work on the same theory, usually one on constant and one or two flashing - nice to know you're still covered if one unexpectedly dies. I do the same at the front, as I don't want to be hit from any direction if I can avoid it!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • you are more likey to get hit from behind....but the best you can, or as i do run 2-3 smaller cheaper ones.

Are you sure about this? As far as I was aware there was less chance of being hit from behind, from my experience, most near/actual collisions come from the front.

I suppose it depends on how you ride, i always ride as if car drivers have not seen me as to reduce the chance of a front accident...always ready to brake. When you are riding in a straight line on a normal road without junctions the chances of an accident involving a car on the wrong side of the road are minimal.

As for the rear, you have no control. They see you or they dont....so you better make sure they do!

As for side impacts, i read the introduction of mandatory refective sidewalls on tyres in the netherlands had reduce accidents by 5%...so every little helps.

Im looking for a good roll of reflective tape of my seat stays for this reason....any ideas where it is cheap??
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    +1 for the Smart 1/2 watt, amazing light. Drivers will give you a wider berth, oh yes!
  • alfablue
    The smart 1/2 watt also has 180 degree visibility
  • couple of people have questioned (non-cyclists) whether or not the smart 1/2 watt is road legal, as it seems a bit blinding :lol::lol:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Blinding is good! It gets you seen!
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    In addition to all these lights (I've got an LD 1100), I'd recommend the Electron Backupz, which I have attached to my helmet. While I've got no evidence to prove this, I'm fairly confident that having an additional smaller light a bit higher than the main light, will make the motorist wonder what is going on, and therefore drive a bit safer. Its also really helpful to be able to turn the helmet (and therefore the light) to face towards motorists coming up on side roads, roundabouts etc.
  • alfablue
    LCFC85 wrote:
    couple of people have questioned (non-cyclists) whether or not the smart 1/2 watt is road legal, as it seems a bit blinding :lol::lol:

On the box it states
    This rear light complies with the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations when used in the all LEDs steady mode

But I still think I'll use it flashing :wink:
  • Blinding is good! It gets you seen!

Just bought 2, 1 for me and 1 for the wife and blinding it most certainly is........ :twisted:
    Tarpaullynn
  • I got a smart for £10 recently, not the super flash but a bit cheaper and its quite bright. I also have a ToPeak UFO which is a bit more expensive than the red light. It looks good butut I would not recommend it. It used expensive little camera batteries that cost £4 a pair and don't last all that long. The smart is a touch brighter and uses 2 AAAs.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    LCFC85 wrote:
    couple of people have questioned (non-cyclists) whether or not the smart 1/2 watt is road legal, as it seems a bit blinding :lol::lol:
    It's certainly blinding if you have to ride behind someone who's using one. A (comparatively) dim setting might be nice.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Another vote for the SmartSuperflash! Initially I wanted this Cateye, but a quick demonstration of all the lights available in the LBS showed that the Smart was much, much brighter. The mechanic even cobbled together, and fitted, a bracket to fit the light to the back of my rack for free.

A little O/T, but remember: no matter how bright the light that you buy is, check the batteries from time to time. My sphincter, the day after a vindaloo, is brighter than most of the lights I've seen (or not) around here!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill