Cheap carbon

LanceAS
LanceAS Posts: 3
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Re "Price of advice" - prior posting - compare the Planet - X £999 carbon frame bike with the Trek 1.9 Alloy ? frame - At this price level do you get a cheap carbon frame or is it worth having; or should you stick with something known like the trek? All other components are similar so its down to the frame. :roll:

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The reason for the price difference is the fact that you're not dealing with a middleman with Planet-X - so in comparison to the Trek, it works out as a saving of about 35%. You're also paying a 'premium' for the Trek brand - whatever value you wish to attach to that and your moniker may be a give-away. The fact is the P-X represents far better value for money - it's a no-brainer decision AFAIC.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I totally agree! Planet X all the way for me. I personally wouldn't touch a Trek. Any Trek.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Guys,

in the spirit of the community, why does Trek evoke such contempt? I understood that their OCLV frames (Madone...) were/are pretty good. What has the company done to upset you so much? They are a large, Amercian corporation, (pejorative terms if ever they existed!) and their web site come across as just that, but is that enough to label them as untouchable? AFAIAC I will patronise the company that best informs me of what they are doing - I've spent some serious time on the Cervelo website recently, and they will provide my next frame as a result. Time spent on this forum has persuaded me that my previous prejudice about frame origins were unfounded, allowing me a much wider range of options. But why hate Trek (I'm just curious)?
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    The reason for the price difference is the fact that you're not dealing with a middleman with Planet-X - so in comparison to the Trek, it works out as a saving of about 35%. You're also paying a 'premium' for the Trek brand - whatever value you wish to attach to that and your moniker may be a give-away. The fact is the P-X represents far better value for money - it's a no-brainer decision AFAIC.

What load of BULLS.....t You might want to study economics and look into buying in bulk comaared to the cost of advertising and brand nake. Think of the numbers each company sold last year and you will realise that only a few can purchase as cheaply as trek Spesh Giant etc..

Cheap carbon is NOT what it seems. The bigger companies are using Aerospace materials whereas a lot of smaller guys are using materials designed for tenis raquets.

You get what you pay for and if your frame is worth less than £750.00 it should be metal.

PS If you are cutting out the middle man we'd almost all be on GIANTS.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You've made the classic mistake of assuming that price and cost are related - something that anyone with half-a-nous of marketing knowledge would understand. On what basis do you believe a £750 frame should be made of metal - that's about the most stupid and simplistic assumption anyone could make without qualification. If a masters degree in business and 10 years international business development experience isn't enough to match your esteemed wisdom then so be it. One further factor you don't take into account is that you assume that P-X frames are made in small numbers in some small shed in Taiwan when in all probability, they're subcontracted to large manufacturers such as Merida or Giant. For a realistic comparison, see how much your bike sells for in the US and tell me you've not been over-charged. When you demonstrate first hand knowledge and not regurgitated marketing blurb, tell me who's B-S'ing who?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Handbags are out again.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    monty's right though
  • Down the road has gone down the road
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    PS If you are cutting out the middle man we'd almost all be on GIANTS.

Why's that?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr