gaint scr 3 upgrades!

rockon338
rockon338 Posts: 21
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
hi i recently bought a giant scr 3 and am loving it so far! but i have got to that stage of wanting to upgrade it and was wondering what your opinions on the most important parts to upgrade.
i have in mind either the:
shimano 105 groupset upgraded from sora.
or
EASTON Vista SL wheels upgraded from Alex da22 rims and haven't a clue about the rest of the wheel.

buying from triuk as there local and free fitting :) plus price match guarantee!
what will be best?
many thanks,
George

Comments

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I think wheels would be my first purchase.

I tootled around on the Alexrims that came with my Spesh Allez Sport for the thick end of 10 months before shelling out on some lovely RR1850's.

Sometimes it really is difficult to believe it's the same bike. My only regret is that I waited so long in order to upgrade my wheelset.

Mind you, I was advised by someone on here the upgrade from my Tiagra and 105 mix to full 105 would be significant.

I guess from Sora to 105 the benefits would be even greater.
  • those wheels seem a bit out of budget, you reckon id still get the same 'wow factor' from the easton vista sl wheels? somehow i cant seem to justify paying more for a pair of wheels than my bike especially as im only 16 and earning under 150 quid a month :)
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Wheel and tyre upgrade is by far the best route.
    Changing from Sora to 105 won't make you go any faster or the bike feel more lively, but a lightweight pair of aerodynamic hoops, and some Michelin Pro-Race 2's (£17 ea at Parker's) will transorm your bike, faster, better accelerating and often better climbing and cornering too.

Just double-check that the new wheels will accept an 8 speed cogset.

Only consider upgrading the drive train when the old one has worn-out.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • yer well ill be going into the shop monday so will get all the compatabililty questions out of the way then and anyway have heard that the sizes of 8 9 10 etx isint that much difference in size because the gap betweens cogs get smaller? is that right?
  • Lagavulin
    Sorry, I poorly worded that.

My point was when I got the bike I didn't know any better but with hindsight having tried two further sets of wheels I've formed the opinion that the supplied wheels, Alex AT400's, were infact sh!te.

I actually considered the Vista SL's when choosing my wheels along with some Ksyriums, American Classics, handbuilt Open Pros, Campag Zondas and Fulcrum 5's before a rush of blood to the head made me ignore my budget and I plumbed for the 1850s.

I assume you've got the new Sora (9-speed) as from what I recall the Vistas were 9 and 10 speed Shimano (isn't old Sora 8 speed?).
  • Lagavulin
    rockon338 wrote:
    plus price match guarantee!
    Tell them Chain Reaction have them for £157.44p :wink:
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    What do you want to upgrade for ? To be honest I'd doubt you'd notice huge amounts of difference. Though if you've got money to spare and would like a bit more bling on the bike, then fill your boots :wink:

Might be better spending your money on a decent pair of clipless pedals and shoes, or bib shorts/tights etc if you don't already have some.
  • already gone on countless trips to get the shorts, clipless pedals etc, etc ad now i think the bike needs some money spent on it! unfortuantly its the way i am with money and no ive got the old sora 8 speed although i have a tiagra rear mech, is it possible to get a 9 speed cassette and use that with sora shifters and tiagra rear mech?
    thanks alot
  • I bought a giant scr 3 in january this year, after a few months i had money in my pocket burning a hole and i was in the groupset upgrade frame of mind, I went and discussed this with my LBS who advised not to bother upgrading the groupset until it needs replacing, they advised to upgrade wheels and tyres, so i got a pair of fulcrum 7's with conti gp4000's and its made the bike even better.
  • Fab Foodie
    rockon338 wrote:
    already gone on countless trips to get the shorts, clipless pedals etc, etc ad now i think the bike needs some money spent on it! unfortuantly its the way i am with money and no ive got the old sora 8 speed although i have a tiagra rear mech, is it possible to get a 9 speed cassette and use that with sora shifters and tiagra rear mech?
    thanks alot

Pretty sure you'll need Tiagra shifters (costly), rear mech will be fine, but really don't waste your money until it all needs replacing. (9 speed upgrade will not make your riding more enjoyable).

Buy sexy wheels & tyres and have fun :P

Fab's TCR1
  • Lagavulin
    FAB - I think your bike looks cool as fook. :wink:

ROCKON, I posted in your other thread that I 'ddone a quick search and from what I could make out the Vista SL's may well take an 8 speed cassette.

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/WHEE ... _FAQs.html

Ican't tell from that though whether or not its just the wheels that have the freehub body that that the 8, 9 and 10s or if its all the Shimano wheels.
    Best ask your LBS to confirm though.

I recently bought some cheap Mavic Aksiums to see me through the winter but I needed a spacer to fit the 9 speed cassette with those.

If not though and you go down the new wheelset option have a look at the Fulcrum 5's. I had those recommended to me. Tyre fitting is supposedly a bit tight but apart from that.
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    I have an SCR 3 and upgraded to R550 Shimano wheels which did make a big difference. The original wheels are rubbish and spokes kept coming away on mine. Have a look on ebay for indiidual 105 parts and upgrade gradually as and when they wear out, saves expense of shelling out on whole groupset.
  • Fab Foodie
    Lagavulin wrote:
    FAB - I think your bike looks cool as fook. :wink:
    Thanks Lagavulin!
    I've been very pleased with her, the Reynolds wheels and PR2's really transformed it into more of a screamer. We've done a lot of good miles together Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall, 10 mile TT'd and 100 mile/daycredit card toured with a big old saddle-bag.
    Not bad for a mudguardless Alu race bike!

Fab's TCR1
  • FAB i also think that your bike looks sweet and sheers for all your advice planning to go down to the lbs this weekend and will try and sort out specifics then. probs go for a new set of wheels.
    cheers for all ur help
  • Fab Foodie
    rockon338 wrote:
    FAB i also think that your bike looks sweet and sheers for all your advice planning to go down to the lbs this weekend and will try and sort out specifics then. probs go for a new set of wheels.
    cheers for all ur help
    Welcome!
    Enjoy!

Fab's TCR1