Tyre Questions

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,

I recently went into a bike shop hoping to buy a new pair of winter tyres. When I told the guy that I currently ride on 700x26c he was quite shocked - the tyres are just what came on my giant scr3. Would I be better changing to something narrower? Does anyone else recommend changing to winter tyres and what specifically would you use on your bike? How many miles should you usually go before changing tyres - these have done about 1700 miles.

I also blew up my tyres this morning for the first time in ages - what an idiot not to have done it sooner. :oops:

Thanks
x

Comments

• on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    700x23 tends to be the standard these days, it's possible to get 20's but that's a bit overkill and I'm not sure they will fit your rim anyway. What is your rim size? It might be possible to fit 23's to your rim. Also, You'll find you can go faster with narrower tyres.

I don't bother with winter tyres, I just use the same tyres all year round.

3000 miles has often been quoted for tyre life, but I got 6000 miles out of my last tyres.
  • on the road
    I also blew up my tyres this morning for the first time in ages - what an idiot not to have done it sooner.
    Did you use dynamite? :wink:

I pump my tyres up, definately don't use explosives :wink:
  • popette
    would 622x14 be my rim size? just been examining the wheels and this is the only number that looks remotely right on there.

I felt my back end sliding out a few times the other evening and that's what prompted me to think about winter tyres. The roads round here are covered in cow poo at the moment.
  • popette
    I also blew up my tyres this morning for the first time in ages - what an idiot not to have done it sooner.
    Did you use dynamite? :wink:

I pump my tyres up, definately don't use explosives :wink:

I give myself away don't I? It was actually the first time I've ever pumped up my tyres in my entire life.

Oh good, tottenham just scored.
  • popette
    ah, just noticed you're from liverpool. Blue or red?
  • on the road
    I assume that would be the rim size, I'd go for 23's. I've never had my back end sliding out, though I never go out if the roads are frosty.
  • It obviously depends on what make of tyres you have but there's not an enormous difference between 26 and 23 in terms of rolling resistance. Bigger tyres are generall easier to get on and off and tak eless pressure so are more confortable. There are no tyres which will stop you slipping in cowshit and in fact you'll get better grip with slicks as there is more contact with the road - but with narrower tyres you'll get less contact.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    I changed the stock 700x26 Kenda's on my SCR2 to 700x23 Michelin Krylion's. I found the Michelin's to be infinitely more grippy and puncture resistant and haven't looked back. Probably tempting fate but I haven't even bothered taking a puncture repair kit with me on commutes anymore despite the risk of having to walk back through the middle of Swansea in lycra and cycling shoes in the event of a puncture which luckily I haven't had to do yet.
  • popette
    Also tempting fate but I haven't punctured yet either - ever! It's early days in my cycling career so it's bound to happen sooner or later.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Yeah you're definitely on track for a double puncture 25 miles from home in the pouring rain :)

Quite surprised that you haven't punctured those stock Kenda's though. Mine were awful, must have had 4 or 5 in a week, everything from twigs to bits of gravel would stick in them and sometimes when I hit a bump the inner tube would just split. Could have been a bad batch but think I would have had more success sellotaping some squidgy foam to the rims.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    700x23 tends to be the standard these days, it's possible to get 20's but that's a bit overkill and I'm not sure they will fit your rim anyway. What is your rim size? It might be possible to fit 23's to your rim. Also, You'll find you can go faster with narrower tyres.

I don't bother with winter tyres, I just use the same tyres all year round.

3000 miles has often been quoted for tyre life, but I got 6000 miles out of my last tyres.

20 mm would fit the rim OK, but you would have to have them rock hard to avoid pinch flats, though the risk depends on your weight to a certain degree as well as the brand – Hutchinson 20 mm is quite tall relative to its narrow width compared with Continental 20 mm, as well as being firmer, but the Contis are the foldable type whereas the Hutchinsons are rigid type. If you are heavier than 70 Kg probably avoid them except in a velodrome or silky smooth road surface.

I rode through the Alps one year on Hutchinson 20mm and they were fine, but a 23mm tyre would a better balance between comfort, pinch-punture resistance and rolling speed.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Hi
    I'd stay with 25 mm and go for the Krylions on an SCR3. The extra weight over a 23mm is negligable, on real roads a 25c will probably roll better than a 23c and give more grip.
    20mm on the average UK road on a standard SCR will probably make your filling (if you have any) come out!
    Thinner tyres are only of benefit in terms of aerodynamics, and for there to be any real benefit you need to be doing constantlyat least 18 to 20mph. high pressure 20c's are great on aero wheels for TT'ng on smooth roads. Good 25c's are a much better all-round everyday ride. Many club riders now ride 25c's instead of 23c's these days.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Dont think winter tyres will stop you slipping on cow pats :D
    GP 4 seasons are pretty good but would not go less than 23mm your not racing so whats the point :D
    People always say you will go faster with narrower tyres, you will not notice it that much so dont expect to get back from your rides 30 minutes earlier with new tyres :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Forget 20mm tyres - only used by die hard timetrialists - ironically they're not any faster anyway. For most real world riding stick to a 25mm - Michelin Krylions in 25mm are probably the best combination of performance and durability. There are lighter, faster tyres, but they wear quicker and puncture easier.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Positron
    Positron Posts: 191
    Hi Popette,
    Know what you mean about the poo around these parts. First time I went out on the new bike it got covered down one particular lane near Holmes Chapel. This was after getting a puncture in the first couple of mile - did I say on the NEW bike - it really wasn't on. But astonishingly a guy in a white van threw me a puncture repair kit (think he used then in (non-cycling) work somehow).
    Anyway, by far the most important thing is that the tyres match the colour(s) or the rest of the bike!
    p.
    Never order anti-pasta to arrive at the same time as pasta.
  • popette
    Hello there positron!
    Amazing to get a puncture repair kit from a white van man! If I saw a cyclist in distress I hope that I would be similiarly helpful.
    I think I'm going to go for the continental all weather ones (700x25) - black so they do match. I've got a shopping basket on wiggle that's almost up to £200 with a new front light, the tyres and a few reflectives. I'm plucking up the courage to press the buy button.

thanks for all your advice guys