The long wait.......

newburb_1968
newburb_1968 Posts: 114
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, I have taken the plunge at last and splashed out on my first Road bike.

I have ordered a Trek 1.7 (2008) and I am itching to get out and ride this however I will have to wait a few weeks before doing this. I am anticipating that on receipt of this I will be going AWOL.......

I have not read any reviews on this bike at all, I am aware that the features were in my price limit and the look was good and Trek is well established for the road bikes.
{Also looking on Evans web site they marked it up quite high on the stars and also the Trek website information}

While I'm waiting I just wanted to know has anyone got a 1.7 and what are their opinons on this bike. {Or if they have the 1.5 / 1.9 which are slightly slimilar models}
I have tried searches for bike reviews and I have seen none, help ease my wait.
Regards
Barry

Comments

• Hey Barry

That's great. I'm not personally familiar with that bike but the same advice goes with all new bikes - make sure that they fit the bike to you. Having a well fitted bike will give you a so much better riding experience. No pain or strains (other than general tiredness from riding) - you can ride for longer in comfort.

As you ride more and get fitter, then you may find the need to modify your position over time. That is a natural process as we get more miles under our belts.

Enjoy the ride!
  • Thanks Alex for the advice.

I will make sure the bike gets fitted to me.

Regards
    Barry
  • Is there no-one out there, that owns a Trek 1.5, 1.7 or 1.9?
    or is it that you are still out there riding them?

Please any feedback would be more than useful or any links to reviews on the bike.
    I am hoping I haven't made a mistake.
    Thanks Barry
  • graemeH
    graemeH Posts: 12
    I have a Trek 1.9 and I think it's great. I've moved from a flat bar hybrid to this and enjoyed every minute. I have a 10.4 mile time trial route which I used to do consistently in 44 minutes that I now do in 34 minutes. I think the gain has been on the two hills I can now blast my way up, I used to drop to the lowest gear and plod up these two short but steep climbs, I can now stay a bit higher geared and pour out my lungs powering up them. I do think the Trek makes a difference; I have the confidence to go for it and the bike feels so much lighter than my hybrid. I enjoy hitting this hill.

There is someone else on this site who bought the 1.9 and we agreed that the "right" size for us was one size higher than the one the shop predicted to be correct. On the very basic height / inside leg to frame size calculation I ought to have a 56cm frame but the 58 cm frame fitted me so much better.

I've been riding for two weeks almost every morning from 7am (I work from home so I consider this cycling to work), I love the balance between weight distribution on my wrists and on my backside - even my hybrid wasn't this comfortable.

I also like the looks, I like the understated model inscription and the design. I love the Ultegra groupset of the 1.9, changing gear is soooo easy and slick. The 1.7 is based on the 105 groupset and I think you have to pay more with other bikes to get this.

I'm a fan - but I guess you ought to get a balanced view; the day after I bought it someone posted on this site that I ought to get a refund and trade it in for another bike... The Madone didn't get a good review in C+ when compared to other carbon frames, but I think the 1 series will fare better because I think you get a better quality of kit when compared to others in this price range.

I think the 1.7 looks good - go for it.
    G.
  • Hi Graeme
    Thanks for your reply today you have certainly put my mind at ease now, I also made a call to the shop to find out expected delivery date. {originaly told end of month/ beginning of next}
    It's tomorrow :D a couple of weeks earlier than first given, therefore I will be out there tomorrow and hitting those hills.

Once again thanks for the information.

Regards
    Barry
  • GraemeH - that is a massive jump in average speed and you think that is due solely to your trek? I've got to wait until later this month before I can order my road bike through the cycle2work scheme. I'm riding an ancient mtb and averaging about 16-17 mph on longer runs. I'm counting the days.

Let us know how it went newburb_1968 when you're done with those hills!!

FCN : 4
  • The long awaiting update....at Last :D
    It may be a bit long winded!!!

Well the bike turned up bang on the Tuesday last week, with my delight and eagerness as I started pulling things together. My first reaction was how light this bike was and how crisp the mechanics looked.
    Well it did not take me too long to put everything into place, however to my disappointment if you all cast your mind back to last Tuesday it was tipping it down in the South and my first thought was I can wait another day :cry: it just isn't worth risking anything in this weather. (A full, not used to peddles, some silly twat not seeing my, my experiance of a road bike or braking conditions)
    So I waited and went off to work (On night work on this particular week), only too be struck down with a virus :cry: at work {6hrs in total in a loo and a most uncomfortable drive home :oops: }
    I was so shattered that I went straight to bed and spent virtually 36hrs in bed and eating nothing. Still being really groggy and low not eating I was still unable to travel any distance away from the house. That bike sitting in my kitchin crying out to be ridden.

Finally on Saturday afternoon I rise (I set myself up with beans on toast my first real meal in 4 days :) ) I look at that bike and say to myself noway am I waiting any longer even if it is for 15mins.

:D:D:D:lol::lol::D It really does go like the wind, it's light it goes through the gears without effort......wow.....wow.....This is all I can say what a difference between a MTB. The speed of this thing......I went home after half an hour (energy low) and that Saturday evening starting filling up on the carbs to enable a better run today.

I went out this evening for about 1hr 30mins it was quick and light up hills, it was fast down them, it held the road and the gear changing was execellent, I'm still speechless.
    WAS IT WORTH THE WAIT >>>> OH YESSSSS>>>> I'M HOOKED>>>>>Talk about bad luck changing.....

The only thing I am going to change is the peddles. I am not to happing with the clips and straps (getting my foot into them and fiddle) and I'm going to change them to SPD.

What's the difference between SPD's and SPD-L's or is there.
    What's a good shoe (£40-£70) I would like a bit of a sole because I may change the pedles on my MTB has well and use.

Barry
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Welcome to the lightside :D:D:D

SPD's have a small metal cleat and work with MTB type shoes (you can walk on them more or less normally). About £60 pedals shoes and cleats.

SPD-SL are road specific with a triangular plastic cleat - better power transfer but more expensive - from £90.

If you want to use the shoes for both road and MTB go for SPD.

Cheers
    Steve
  • graemeH
    graemeH Posts: 12
    Congratulations on your new bike! Glad to hear you like it too.

To explain the jump in time for my 10 mile ride. Near Yarm in Cleveland there is a 10 mile route which loops over a river twice. Most of the route is just regular undulating road, but where it crosses the river it drops and climbs sharply. Firstly at a place called "Weary Bank" and then at another place called "High Leven". On my Giant Hybrid I would put the bike into granny gear and get up as best I could - on the Trek (although I bought a triple) I can stay in the middle chainring and power up the climbs.

Now I don't know whether it's the lighter bike, the confidence I've gained because I'm on a lighter bike, or just the sheer determination to make the most of a £1000 road bke - but powering up these two climbs has taken 10 minutes of my best time on my hybrid.

Looking at some of the other routes I do, I've gained about 1 or 2 mph. I'm still trying to break a 20mph average but came close with a 6 mile loop which I managed at 19.3mph.

I know I'm not the fastest out there, but since getting my new road bike I've got a big grin!
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431

What's the difference between SPD's and SPD-L's or is there.
    What's a good shoe (£40-£70) I would like a bit of a sole because I may change the pedles on my MTB has well and use.

I can recommend the Specailized Taho's (£50 from Wiggle). They are more of a "leisure" shoe, but are perfectly OK on a road bike and are good intro to clipless. They are very comfortable and are nearly as easy to walk in as trainers. I use mine with PD-M520 type pedals on my roadbike and M424's on my hybrid.

Hope this helps.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • hey barry, congrats on your 1.7 purchase.

in Australia they are having issues getting the 1.7 bikes to arrive here too. (the guys at Clarence St Cyclery said the ship transporting the bikes broke down - hahah.. sif!)

I have a 2007 Trek 1400 - which is now known as the 1.7 in the 2008 range. The 1.7 has a nice upgrade in that it has an ultegra rear derailleur. The 2007 is a full 105 groupset.

I've had no major issues with my bike (have had it for around 10 months now). I have replaced the stock Bontrager tyres and put on michelin pro2race. Get rid of those bontrager tyres, they suck. I've also replaced the stock bontrager stem with a deda elementi 100mm stem, and replaced the stock bontrager saddle (which is a bum torturer) with a fiz:ik arione.

The bontrager select wheels that come with the trek 1400/1.7 aren't that great (can feel a bit of "give" when climbing... ie, not as stiff as say mavic aksiums/ksyriums), but they will do until you feel like upgrading them.

Other than that, the 105 groupset mixed with the ultegra rear should give you no problems, and changing gears/braking should be a pleasure!

hope you get much enjoyment to come out of your bike :) happy and safe riding.

Andy
    Sydney, Australia
  • Thanks for the advice and information (Andy, Gary and Graeme)I have ordered myself the following pedels and shoes:
    > Shimano 105 (5600) SL Pedels.
    >Adidas Girano Cycling Shoes (2007)
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/P ... 8cbdf892f8

(Are they any good?, really wanted to keep within the 105 system and the shoes did not look to bulky and stiff)
    So I am gradually getting there. {Though not really suiting my mountain bike, however I was thinking of keeping the strap peddels from my Trek and putting them on the MTB, for the time being)

The next thing I am after is a Computer (Polar 100 or 200 not sure ? pending cash??? and benifits of having this. Being a bit of PC buff the 200 allows me to download information and chart performance I think, does it really warrant this amount of cash to be spent or should I put this cash to something else?). Currently I am making do with time, google earth for distance and HRM watch.
    I am also after another set of wheels/ tyres for winter and riding into Londons pot holes. I was looking at a Cheap set of Shimano 105 (550's) (2nd hand if possible) and a thicker tyre to continue through the winter. (up to a 28)

PS.....My time over a 5mile track as improved by 3mins 20secs since changing bike.

any advice would be greatful.
    Regards
    Barry
  • Rexy100
    Rexy100 Posts: 6
    How's it gone since autumn please? I'm just about to spend on a decent road bike. Have liked Trek for years having enjoyed a 7200 hybrid, but last year spent time on a cheap roadie. However with odd back pain and a desire for a better machine, I'm about to blow £500-£1000 and get properly sized in the process. From the kind support posted by all, the 1.7 & 1.9 sound just the job. Would you still feel the same please?

Thanks again all for the helpful postings.
  • BASSET1
    BASSET1 Posts: 1
    Maybe a Pashley for my mate the slimster from Sindo
  • It's been going good Rexy100 over the last 5months.
    I had a small break over Nov-Dec, however since then I have done 1500km since January this year on the Trek 1.7.
    (I bought some second hand cheap wheels for my London commute (Pot holes, drains and wet mornings) and change over my wheels at the weekend for country side roads).
    The only negative with the bike is the white bar-tape, when holding on to road side fences at traffic lights your hand picks up dirt which goes on the bars.
    I was worried about riding a road bike and being on the drops, (Backache due to the position,etc) but this has not been the case I have not suffered and enjoying everyminute on this bike.
    Was it the right bike for me? Well I don't really know this is the only Road bike I have riden and I am not looking for another bike or looking to change anything on this one. (Except for the white bar tape, which still looks good but looks grubby)
    regards
    barry
  • Rexy100
    Rexy100 Posts: 6
    Thanks Barry & please ignore my mate's previous 'Pashley' reply. He's a cycling Geordie and I'm old enough to remember that scene from The Likely Lads. Nuff said!

Anyway, pleased to hear all's well. I like the commuter wheels idea. good bit of sense there I suppose. My above mentioned mate has the standard pretty, blue bar tape on his Bianchi and suffers from the same problem - to be expected. Your advice has been helpful indeed. It's now just down to the funds and convincing the wife that my having such a bike 'will be better for both of us darling'. Think I'll look for the thread - Sweet-Talking The Missus.

Thanks again Barry.

Steve.
  • unclevit
    unclevit Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I just got one in last week. Ride for some 40 miles straight. My observations : Black/White with small red stripe did turn heads of pedestrians and car drivers (all smiling, talking, and I think they like to look at it), frame is light and uphilling is very easy with minimal effort (comparing to my previous other brand's aluminium frame), very good speeding up when required (quick response, cornering is precise), i ride size 50 which can be adjusted a bit up and down later (fitting is shop tuned, but ok right away), good saddle & seat post (have not tried my usual 100 kms. yet to say final on this), good and fast response brakes (sudden brake once and it stopped right away - think i am running at about 20-25 mpr). Overall : very happy with the frame, the groupset, performance and most of all the beauty of turning people's heads along the way. Don't think will upgrade any at the moment. A happy 1.7 rider.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    unclevit wrote:
    Black/White with small red stripe did turn heads of pedestrians and car drivers (all smiling, talking, and I think they like to look at it)

Unlikely. I doubt many would take a second glance at a Pinarello Prince or other such "Superbike" let alone a Trek.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Unlikely. I doubt many would take a second glance at a Pinarello Prince or other such "Superbike" let alone a Trek.

Red how'd you get to be so young and yet such a grumpy old man? Let the man dream!
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • muz250
    muz250 Posts: 95
    Iv got the 1.5 triple. Its a good bike best thing about it is in my opinion is its pleasing to the eye. But now that I know a bit more about spec, components etc.. I realise for the the money spent I could of had something better (if you are willing to attempt a build that is . Of course The 1.7 is better spec but also more money.

The 1.5 is a far more capable bike than I am a rider anyway (super unfit in my case) , but the gears could be better.
    I like the style though and the frame is nice and it gets good reviews so will be worth upgrading, but knowing a bit more about bikes now I would of attempted to build a bike buying the components seperate (check out red dragons post ,another bike build and check out the prices involved).

Trek is as good a brand as any for those like You and me though.
  • Mr Mas
    Mr Mas Posts: 1
    I signed up to BikeRadar due to all the excellent advice I've just read on the forum about the Trek 1.7.

Going through the usual excitement, confusion and stress prior to purchasing the "right" new bike.

Wasn't sure between the Trek 1.7 and Giant SCR1. Almost sure that I will go for the Trek 1.7 based on advice from about 3 different cycle shops and different forums. Any other views would be gratefully welcomed.