Drugs and cycling

reutercrooks
reutercrooks Posts: 425
edited August 2017 in Pro race
I think the anti drug brigade are ruining the sport of cycling. Its about time they realised that they are never going to win the war on drugs and if they ever did, the Tour de france will be a race fit only for the amateurs. Boring and slow with lots of walking between the mountainy bits.

Professional cycling needs the drugs. If you didn't know, would you be bothered?

Comments

• Quite frankly I find your post moronic at best, ill informed at least. If you think that drug use makes the sport more interesting then do me a favour and go take up another sport.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I think the anti drug brigade are ruining the sport of cycling. Its about time they realised that they are never going to win the war on drugs and if they ever did, the Tour de france will be a race fit only for the amateurs. Boring and slow with lots of walking between the mountainy bits.

Professional cycling needs the drugs. If you didn't know, would you be bothered?

Hate to say it but you are kind of right on the money about never winning the "war"
    on drugs. Here in the states, every time we get a new President they always want to
    declare "war" on something. Let's see, poverty, drugs, racism, ignorance, homelessness,
    crime, and terrorism just to name a few. I really can't remember when or if any of them
    even came close to succeeding. Why would any other "war" on drugs have any better
    results. Too much money involved, from all angles, for pro sports to stay drug free. At
    least in this day and age.

Dennis Noward
    Toledo, Ohio
  • Quite frankly I find your post moronic at best, ill informed at least. If you think that drug use makes the sport more interesting then do me a favour and go take up another sport.

so the drugs don't make the sport exciting?

Then who wasn't on the edge of their seat when Vinokourov tour the field apart that day and left Christophe Moreue(AG2R) in the trailing group....(07 tour)

or when Floyd Landis came back from the death to reclaim the yellow jersey...(06 Tour)

or Hamilton with his broken collar bone, takes the toughest stage to win in Pau and complete the tour in Paris.

They are never going to win the war against drugs in cycling but they might end up killing the sport in the pursuit of making it clean.
  • Obvious difference of opinion here reutercrooks.
    In answer to your question, no I dont think drugs make the sport exciting. I think watching someone blast up a hill knowing that its an assisted effort makes a mockery of the sport. When Landis blew, and the following day came back with a vengence, the reality is that he couldn't have done that without drugs. And there in lies my point. If he wasnt doping he wouldnt have been able to ride like that, and that is what makes the sport more exciting.
    I can't agree with you on this one. I would much rather see slower times posted in stages by riders that are clean than ridiculously fast times posted by dopers. Pros would still be better/fitter riders than the likes of us mere mortals simply because of training etc but at least the playing field would be level.
    Im not naive either reutercrook. I'm under no illusions about doping in cycling (or several other sports for that matter), but saying that the problem cant be beaten so therefore giving up the fight just isn't an option for me. Ive said it before and i'll say it again, the penalties need to be severe enough that they would actually be a deterent, not the current system which in my opinion is a joke.
  • Maybe Landis couldn't have done what he did without drugs - but maybe there was someone else in the field who was not charged up to the eyeballs who could have done somthing else that would have been equally as dramatic but due to that cheat was unable to.

Drugs do not make sport exciting, just dishonest.
  • Well shorter stages, less racing on the cards in the 2018 tdf. I rest my case.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    So you won't challenge any of the next counter arguments then? Good.
    You are wrong.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Is it April 1st?

No, but the guy is a proper troll. No posts since 2011, then he posts this viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13084230&p=20206342#p20206342 - this morning, and now the thread here, which he originally started back in 2007 and then dug-up again today.

Best ignored.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    This must be some sort of record
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    :D Hahahahah post of the week
  • So if someone takes PEDs and cause substantial damage to their health that's ok is it? The pressure of winning means those willing to take greater risks will do more and then when athletes start dropping dead what then?
  • dennisn
    So if someone takes PEDs and cause substantial damage to their health that's ok is it? The pressure of winning means those willing to take greater risks will do more and then when athletes start dropping dead what then?
    Why is it my problem if someone wants to risk killing themselves with drugs? At least that seems to be what you're saying. If you have time to worry about someone taking peds, then be my guest. Personally I think it's useless to try. Fame, fortune is what they want and peds is how to get it, health doesn't even enter the picture. When you're young death or illness from peds only happens to the other guy.
  • dennisn wrote:
    So if someone takes PEDs and cause substantial damage to their health that's ok is it? The pressure of winning means those willing to take greater risks will do more and then when athletes start dropping dead what then?
    Why is it my problem if someone wants to risk killing themselves with drugs? At least that seems to be what you're saying. If you have time to worry about someone taking peds, then be my guest. Personally I think it's useless to try. Fame, fortune is what they want and peds is how to get it, health doesn't even enter the picture. When you're young death or illness from peds only happens to the other guy.

So the choice is risk your health or never be competitive. That's a great way to destroy a sport, any sport. You happy for your children to look up to athletes who are full of drugs?
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

So the choice is risk your health or never be competitive. That's a great way to destroy a sport, any sport. You happy for your children to look up to athletes who are full of drugs?
    I never looked up to sports figures as heroes like many do. Don't have kids but would hope they don't worship these people either. As for destroying the sport, I intend to pedal a bike no matter who gets busted or dies.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    dennisn wrote:
    I never looked up to sports figures as heroes like many do. Don't have kids but would hope they don't worship these people either. As for destroying the sport, I intend to pedal a bike no matter who gets busted or dies.

I doubt many round here "worship" pro cyclists but if you do pedal a bike like you assert it's worthwhile appreciating just how well some can actually do it without recourse to artificial means. Why would you want to see any of them taking drugs unless you're on something yourself?
  • dennisn
    hypster wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I doubt many round here "worship" pro cyclists but if you do pedal a bike like you assert it's worthwhile appreciating just how well some can actually do it without recourse to artificial means. Why would you want to see any of them taking drugs unless you're on something yourself?
    I'm 68 years old. I take all kinds of things to help me ride(so to speak). I don't really care if people do use drugs. That's their risk. Nothing to me.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Can the troll get any Clen? I know lots of fat people that could do with some.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    dennisn wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I'm 68 years old. I take all kinds of things to help me ride(so to speak). I don't really care if people do use drugs. That's their risk. Nothing to me.
    If you're not into pro cycling that's fair enough but if you're posting on here one can assume you are, unless you are just trolling because you've nothing better to do. Do you can just enjoy the spectacle come what may?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    If you take the approach 'let them take what they want' you may as well allow them to start fitting motors as well. The whole point of the sport and the attraction, I assume, for most spectators is seeing how far the human body can be pushed in its natural state. It loses its purpose altogether once you start to allow unnatural assistance to the human body.
  • dennisn
    Pross wrote:
    If you take the approach 'let them take what they want' you may as well allow them to start fitting motors as well. The whole point of the sport and the attraction, I assume, for most spectators is seeing how far the human body can be pushed in its natural state. It loses its purpose altogether once you start to allow unnatural assistance to the human body.
    Since when do you and I get to decide what someone gets to do or not do with their body? Who do you think you are?
  • dennisn wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Since when do you and I get to decide what someone gets to do or not do with their body? Who do you think you are?

Well WADA , UKAD , etc do and long may it continue. No place in sport for any PEDS. It just becomes state sponsored - who can push their athletes hardest full of drugs . The unscrupulous Ines will always push harder with the welfare of the athlete not taken into account. Then once they are done they are cast aside and a new guinea pig takes their place. Thankfully sane people actually give a damn unlike you who just care about yourself , you made that pretty obvious
  • Pross
    dennisn wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Did you actually read what I wrote before reverting to your standard holier than though 'who are we to tell them what to do' approach? Where in my post have I stated we should tell people what to do with our bodies? You should really learn to read as you constantly make a fool of yourself on here with your rants.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    ive got some popcorn just for this thread :)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Pross wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Did you actually read what I wrote before reverting to your standard holier than though 'who are we to tell them what to do' approach? Where in my post have I stated we should tell people what to do with our bodies? You should really learn to read as you constantly make a fool of yourself on here with your rants.
    Yeah, no issue with people taking drugs (until I start having to pay for their treatment etc) but if you're going to take PEDs then there's no place for you in professional sports (in an ideal world). In any sport you need to abide by the rules of the sport to partake and some of those rules happen to be around PEDs, for good reason.
  • Pross
    Whenever Dennis posts I end up with an image like this in my head for some reason

200_s.gif