2003 Rocky Mountain Flow

Silent1
Silent1 Posts: 3
edited October 2007 in MTB beginners
Okay I recently came across a very good condition 2003 Rocky Mountain Flow frame. I bought a Marzocchi All mountain III fork to go along with it as well as a decent crank. I love doing trail riding however when I brought it into bike zone to be built the guy was like "so your looking to do some dirt jumping huh?" I didn't know what he was talking about. He then explained to me that I had a dirt jumping bike and that it will suck riding it in trails.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I mean it is a very decent bike how could it not handle trail riding? I am blown away and confused by this. It's light weight, and tough as hell and me being about 230 I could use the stronger frame. He told me I was making a big mistake if I was putting it together for trail riding I think he is full of you know what.

So please...let me know how you feel about this. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Looking at the original spec, it's definitely a jump bike. Came with Marz DJII forks.

http://www99.epinions.com/bicycles_2003 ... tain_Flow#

I've never ridden one, and haven't seen the tech details, so I don't know how the geometry of the frame will lend itself to trails. It'll "handle" trails, but it might ride like a stuck pig.
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    There is no reason why it cannot be ridden on the trails, its just if its built for djing it would have geometry and components to suit that rather than a XC build.
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    you will be able to do trail riding but it will not be very good as it is definetely a jump bike.
    you might screw up the geometry on it though with them forks :!:
  • Well...all is well. It's perfect for free riding and fun as heck to ride. Got it built yesterday. May not be as fast as a true XC bike but man this thing is one mean performing hardtail. The newer flow's are definately not cut out for trails but I must say this is one is perfect. It's been so long since I've been on a bike and forgot how much it hurts to fall.lol Glad to be involved in the sport. 8)
  • It is definitely billed as a dirt jump bike, however, it's apparently only 4.5lbs (the '07 one)and seems to come in plenty of sizes. See:

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2005/flow/flow-f3.aspx

In the bigger sizes, they'll have just about enough length in the top tube, and have a slacker head angle than most pure DJ'ers. If the frame hasn't changed drastically in 4 years, I think it should perform fine in a hardcore XC role.
    I'd stick to shorter forks though.