Bike Maintainance Books?

freebs
freebs Posts: 199
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Can anyone recommend a good bicycle maintainance book?

Been to LBS today and had quite a bill for general maintainance work (they've done a great job BTW, not complaining!).

Would like to get my hands dirty tho, maybe with a view to building up a bike in the future.

Have had a look on the threads but not found anything recently.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Comments

• rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance" is great (if you've got a road bike)
  • freebs
    Thank - you!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Freebs, before spending money on a book spend some time reading both sheldon and the parktools sites below. they will give you a good grounding which will help when you are looking at books as you will know how far you want the book to go.

Zinn is very good as is Parks big blue book.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • J M S
    J M S Posts: 2
    Hi , I have just used the Park Tools Big Blue Boook of Cycle Repair to upgrade my Specilized FSR with a new 08 XT groupset. I would highly recommend it .

Its also worth having a look at Parks website as well.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/index.asp

Hope this is of help
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I spent much time on the Campag and Park Tools websites but found this didn't give me the confidence to have a go. I went on a one day course with the Edinburgh Bike Co-op. Cost £45 but was well worth the money. Have stripped down my winter bike and serviced it ready for the crappy weather. I would not have been able to do this without the course.

BTW, I have no connection to EBC, just a very happy course attendee.
  • rjeffroy wrote:
    "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance" is great (if you've got a road bike)

Seconded. Helped me build my road bike with minimal prior knowledge.
    Have had the Zinn mountain bike book for years and it's invaluable (they are about 75% identical).
  • another for zin, excellent book
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    One more for Zinn - good book with some wobbly illustrations

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair

It's been my Bible since I was 12.
  • freebs
    Thanks all, I'll get myself to Waterstones!