Olmo Giro Guiseppi Huig

John C.
John C. Posts: 2,113
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
A freind of mine way down south in Sheffield is having a clearout and has found two bikes in his garage, both 23" steel framed. I have not seen them and he would like to know if they are worth anything.

1. Dawes Ulra Plus Lightweight
12 speed
700c wheel size

2. Olmo Giro Guiseppe Huig
16 speed gear/brake lever changers
700c wheel size

Does any one know anything about these bikes, I asume the Dawes may make a hack/commutor bike but is the Olmo anything more than that ?
http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Hills are just a matter of pace

Comments

• acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Both sound nice. It's hard to put a price tag on them. If the Olmo has Campagnolo 8, that will hurt it, because those parts are hard to come by today. Also, I spose most people are trawling ebay for Giants and Treks, not Olmos...

Pensioned off road bikes make great fixies and commuters. I know a few folks who rebuild them and race them. Can be done without too much hassle. Just pop in a modern 130mm wide rear wheel, some new shifters and maybe a derailleur.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    acorn_user wrote:
    Both sound nice. It's hard to put a price tag on them. If the Olmo has Campagnolo 8, that will hurt it, because those parts are hard to come by today. Also, I spose most people are trawling ebay for Giants and Treks, not Olmos...

Pensioned off road bikes make great fixies and commuters. I know a few folks who rebuild them and race them. Can be done without too much hassle. Just pop in a modern 130mm wide rear wheel, some new shifters and maybe a derailleur.

You can still get 8sp Campag cassettes (they're still in production and not just available NOS), but a bit of searching is required. 8sp chains are still a doddle to obtain. The remaining 9sp derailleurs in their range will work with 8sp kit provided the shifters are 8sp; on the subject of shifters, bits are still available to service 8sp ones or convert 9sp/10sp Ergos to 8sp. The only sticking point seems to be 8sp cassette hubs as they're no longer current and the spares seem to be out of production too.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal