Rear racks fitting with discs

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited October 2007 in Tour & expedition
How? :?: I`m riding a slicked up MTB hardtail as touring / commuting bike and it is fitted with F&R Avid discs, currently using the excellent Bagman :D set up but would like to extend to fitting rear rack for heavier saddlebag use (on rougher tracks) / panniers if camping.
The Avid BB5 discs unit is in line with my proposed Blackburn rack legs ; can I just pack out the bolt with washers to move the leg out, or will this lead to shearing of the bolt under load :cry: ? I recall reading that Tubus do an adapter, but would it work with a Blackburn rack?

ta

James

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I used one of the Tubus adapters with a BB5 but still had to space the leg of my Tubus Logo rack out by about 3 or 4cm. I was a bit wary at first, but it stood up to a tour in the Atlas Mountains in Morocco on sometimes horrendous roads. The only issue I have is that the rack is pulled to the non-drive side such that there's only about 1cm clearance between the rack on the drive-side and the tyre (a 2.25" Schwalbe Marathon XR). Means that mud tends to build up quite quickly. Shouldn't be an issue for you commuting though.
    More problems but still living....
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    JamesBwmb wrote:
    I recall reading that Tubus do an adapter, but would it work with a Blackburn rack?

I doubt it, the spacer lines up with two holes in the rack so it's unlikely. IIRC SJS Cycles do something.

My Tubus setup on an On-One 456 is fine.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    This Lifeline rack is the cheapest way of achieving this (£15.99).

lifeline-disc-rack-main.jpg

I fitted one to my friends Trek disc mtb for a tour, needed to add one extra washer on the brake side, it worked fine, stayed solid, its rated to 25kgs.

A Tubus setup (Logo and either the Q/R axle mount fittings or the disc brake fittings if you have eyelets) would do very well, but will cost around £80 to £90 - they are superb quality racks however.
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    The obvious solution is to buy a new touring bike - problem solved
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Axiom do a disc rack that fits to the stays:

axiom%20odysee%20disc.jpg

THey also do one that fits normally on one side, but to the stay on the other.

414PDQQYP9L._AA280_.jpg

Topeak also do a disc version of their Super Tourist:

topeak%20tourist%20dx%20d%20disc.jpg

Have a look at the Wiggle site forprices and options, but do shop around
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • i've been trying to work this out aswell. i have a bike i'm trying to set up with rear rack and avid BB7's....and i want to fit a tubus cargo to the eyelets behind the disk brake...
    any top tips appreciated for fitting a tubus...andymillar, any chance of a pic of your rack setup?

dscn1236xf9.th.jpg

dscn1236xf9.jpg

http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS/Fi ... 20PAGE.htm
  • ps. sorry about the giant pic...
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think this picture

P919E1-New-OneS.jpg shows how its done with the Tubus adapter. I am not sure you will be able to tell if you get enough clearance until you try it - the adapter is about a tenner, you could buy it and sent it back if it doesn't work (however you will then be left with a rack you cant use :cry: )
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Hosie

I'm just about to go on holiday so pictures would be difficult right now. Alfablue's picture should at least give you an idea. As I say they work fine with my 456 so I don't see why you should have a problem with your setup.