Biggest chainring

dudi
dudi Posts: 36
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Hiya,

I have recently bought my first bike, a CB san remo, nice chunky sturdy frame so even I shouldn't break it. I use it for a daly commute and weekend rides.

I have a problem with top speed though, i seem to "spin out" quite regularly on longer rides, and would like to fix this.

now, the rear gears are apparently a 7 speed block, which is a pain, because I can't easilly upgrade the gearing there. the smallest cog is a 14tooth one.

I've been looking at getting a larger front chainring to give a better gear ratio, at the moment it has a 39/53T. I cant find anything bigger than 53t, is this right? am I at the limit of my gear ratio without faffing about with new hubs and all that goes along with it?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• dudi
    Has anyone ever seen a 7 speed cassette hub? I have found a 7 speed road cassette but cant find the hub to go with it...
  • Dave L
    Dave L Posts: 251
    dudi wrote:
    Has anyone ever seen a 7 speed cassette hub? I have found a 7 speed road cassette but cant find the hub to go with it...
    I still have one from the 80's on one of my bikes, but you can use a 7 speed cassette on 8/9/10 speed hubs with a 3mm spacer. (Though not the 10 speed only hubs such as some Dura-Ace etc).
    For larger chainrings, TA make them with up to 58 teeth (at least) to fit Shimano chainsets.
    Dave
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    Don't get a bigger chain ring learn to pedal faster. At about 90 rpm in 53x14 you will be doing about 27mph. You should be able to hit 30+ in that gear.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    dudi wrote:
    If you're looking at replacing the hub, you might as well replace it with an 8/9 speed one. You can fit 7 speed cassettes on 8/9 speed freehubs - most cassettes come with the relevant spacers now.

You _can_ get bigger chainrings, but they may well foul your frame and your knees certainly wont appreciate it. You should be riding at about 90rpm (so 1.5 crank revolutions a second) - it's much more efficient (though doesn't feel it to begin with) and better for your knees.
  • dudi
    Oh really? excellent, if it does get too annoying i'll do the rear instead of the front... sounds like a better move.

if 90rpm is the most efficient, then perhaps I am OK, it just feels like i'm peddaling like a crazy. but I must be about the right speed as I get about 30-32mph on the flat at peak. 25-28 as a fair effort.n but only for short periods of time. I'm too fat and unfit to do that speed for much more than a couple of miles!

thanks for the guidance guys.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most people who race only use a 53 tooth chainring - it's big enough to get up to a speed in excess of 40mph on the flat if you can pedal hard enough, but that would be with a rear sprocket of 11 or 12 teeth. Probably the smallest you'll find in 7 speed will be 12 tooth. BTW 'spinning-out' on the road in my experience is about 180rpm - keep working on your pedal stroke, but consider 90rpm to be a comfortable cadence, not a 'fast' one.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..