Sweat Monster

Max_Man
Max_Man Posts: 185
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Why do I sweat so much...I've been commuting for a while but have only sweat moderately, but as I've slightly upped the pace it's absolutely pooring out of me.. :shock:

Every other commuter I see round here is all wrapped up in winter clothe's and look barely sweaty, I'm in my short's and hoody and look like I've been swimming... :oops:

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i came home in a football tshirt and a pair of shorts, im gushing with sweat and i was struggling to get any pace on my way home tonight...
  • it's natural, some people sweat more than others. like myself for example, when i play rugby or go for a cycle, i am always the one sweating the most. at first i thought it was bad but its fine...nothing to worry about...i hope :?
  • I sweat loads also. Its pretty embarassing when I bike to college and if Im running a wee bit late roll into lesson looking like ive been bathing. Ive taken to taking a towel with me on the hotter days now. Although, when im out on the road in all my lycra-ey glory, I hardly sweat (except from my forehead).
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    A lot is to do with the clothes you are wearing too.
    Good thin, layered breathable fabrics help to let body heat and moisture out, If I cycled in a thick non-breathable sweatshirt for 5 miles, I'd be wetter than a bill-posters bucket. However in my winter cycle jersey I'd be fine.
    Also as your speed increases the amount of work your body has to do goes up exponentially (or similar), thus shedloads more fuel burnt to overcome wind resistance and thus a lot more heat generated.

I only have a short commute, not worth cycle specific gear, I used to ride on the road like a maniac in my work shirt 'n trousers, tie billowing in the wind and arrive at work soaking. Now I have opted for the cycle path and park route, go gently and arrive a few minutes later fresh as a daisy.
    If you're going any distance at speed, get good kit and learn to use the right combinations for the right weather. It can make all the difference.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • I had the same problem and was told by a friend that the fitter you get the better your body gets at controlling its temperature hence you sweat more. Don't know if it's true though!
  • Max_Man
    Well, I'm glad it's not too unusual then.... :lol:

Clothing could definately be an issue although I do wear cycling short's and a proper base later t-shirt with my normal short's and hoody over the top.

This also coincides with a bit of a leap of fitness for me, I feel I can ride faster and for longer the last few ride's. My 14 mile commute is barely an issue any more...used to kill me though.
  • Fab Foodie
    Max_Man wrote:
    Well, I'm glad it's not too unusual then.... :lol:

Clothing could definately be an issue although I do wear cycling short's and a proper base later t-shirt with my normal short's and hoody over the top.

This also coincides with a bit of a leap of fitness for me, I feel I can ride faster and for longer the last few ride's. My 14 mile commute is barely an issue any more...used to kill me though.

Replace the hoody with a cycle-specific long-winter top. Needn't cost a fortune, I use a 'bikeline' winter jersey from H*lfrauds, not expensive but does certainly the job when coupled with bib-shorts and a light cheap Gilet (Parrot - Zati-lite). This rig keeps me well regulated for a lot of the winter. Also does not soak-up water unduly and stays warm if damp, dries quickly too. Occasionally a base-layer, longs (Tracksters £12) and an Altura lightweight rain jacket for when it gets really chilly.
    Buffs/Hedy's are also useful, one on the head under the helmet, the other around the neck to keep draughts at bay.

Fab's TCR1
  • You should see me after a run. I had to change from wearing white vests to blue, since i realised i was imitating a wet t-short competetion, except a lot hairier :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    Join the club !!, Mr Sweatski Supreme here, some do, some don't, looks like we're all sweaty bar stewards on this thread, i must admit i'm slightly miffed by people who hardly sweat a drop, though like Jonah2940 said, i too have heard it's a sign of fitness.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Sweating is a personal thing, and will obviously increase as you up the effort - more output = more heat generated.

Its not fitness that causes sweating tho' as far as I know. Some very fit people don't sweat very much compared to other equally fit people.

Gillets are great BTW - flexible - not sweaty, allow non-cycle specific clothes underneath. teh Parrot one has rear pockets too!
  • PhilofCas
    Sweating is a personal thing, and will obviously increase as you up the effort - more output = more heat generated.

Its not fitness that causes sweating tho' as far as I know. Some very fit people don't sweat very much compared to other equally fit people.

Gillets are great BTW - flexible - not sweaty, allow non-cycle specific clothes underneath. teh Parrot one has rear pockets too!

Yes, gilets are brill, one of my bestest bits of cycle wear, keeps the cold off your chest and you keep cool with exposed arms, wouldn't be without it
  • Fab Foodie
    PhilofCas wrote:

Yes, gilets are brill, one of my bestest bits of cycle wear, keeps the cold off your chest and you keep cool with exposed arms, wouldn't be without it

Ditto, Gilets are brill, adaptable usable in many conditions and the Parrot one packs nicely into a rear jersey pocket.

Fab's TCR1
  • Chris5150
    Chris5150 Posts: 107
    As much as Id like to agree with the you sweat more when you get fitter reasoning, I find that hard to believe.
    Surely the fitter you get the less effort it is to do the same level of excercise so therefore your body is not working as hard therfore temperature rise is lower & sweating is lower.
    I would love the reverse to be true, as I am like the rest in this thread & sweat buckets.It seems as I get older ( 43 now ) my body reacts to temp change a lot quicker. I work in a rural area and sometimes on a lunchbreak I go for a 3.2 mile walk up hill & down dale, not particularly fast, and that can raise a bit of a sweat even when its cold. Funnily I consider myself pretty fit doing 100 -150 miles a week still bike wise, and yet when I do this walk with an overweight chap from work who takes no excercise at all and never has...it is me that breaks into a sweat first!. Quite annoying as most people see not sweating as a sign of fitness not the other way round.
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    I live in mallorca, and even when it's not that hot, it can still be very humid. Decathlon do tee shirts out here for 7 euros that are brilliant for not showing sweat.

Must admit though, after a ride I am usually sweating like a glass blower's @rse. Annoyingly this can carry on for up to an hour afterwards.

Andy
  • Max_Man
    Really windy on the ride home tonight...I think MAGIBOB's quote fit's best..."I was sweating like a glass blower's @rse".

Tough ride tonight actually.
  • it's not how fit you are, its how hard you work, and even when its cold you sweat because despite the low temps, your body is still working, therefore producing heat, therefore needing to release extra lactic acid that builds up inside the muscles.

Andy
  • Done a bit of reading:

Fitness Myth 2:
    Excessive Sweating While Exercising Means You’re Not Fit
    In fact, it's just the opposite. Sweating during exercise is a sign of an efficient cooler. An athlete who has adapted to keep the body core cool during exercise will shunt blood to the skin’s surface more quickly and release heat from the body. At the same time, the sweat glands increase their output and thus cool the body during sweat evaporation. While fit people produce more sweat than sedentary folks, they lose less sodium, because more of it is reabsorbed by the body. The result is a more efficient cooler.

Next time you end up dripping after a workout, think about this: All that perspiration is crucial to healthy physical functioning.

As your body’s primary mechanism for eliminating heat, sweating keeps your internal (core) temperature as constant as possible.

Sweat consists primarily of water, which comes from your blood, and other trace substances, including sodium chloride, potassium, lactic acid and ammonia.

These minerals (known as electrolytes) help regulate blood pressure and water balance.

Physical conditioning, age, ethnicity, gender and climate all affect the amount you sweat. Sedentary people may sweat anywhere from practically nothing to two quarts a day, while heat and/or exertion can increase daily sweat output to as much as five to eight quarts.

In general, sweat gland activity decreases with age — one reason why older people tolerate heat less well and should be careful in hotter weather.

While women usually sweat less and store more heat than men, research shows that women and men in equivalent physical condition tolerate heat equally well.

In fact, cardiovascular fitness is one of the most important factors in heat tolerance.

Is sweating a good measure of your athletic performance? Research shows that when you increase stamina and conditioning, you begin to sweat “more efficiently,” i.e. earlier, or at a lower internal temperature, than previously.
  • PhilofCas
    put that up your pipe and smoke it, Mr Chud !!
  • :lol: What would we do without Google!
  • I just wanted to add my name to the sweat list. had a good hard run on my turbo trainer earlier and after I looked like I had taken a shower.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Jonah2940 wrote:
    I had the same problem and was told by a friend that the fitter you get the better your body gets at controlling its temperature hence you sweat more. Don't know if it's true though!

I've heard much the same thing. Or at least that's what I tell myself when I'm dripping like a tap and puffing like a train :lol:
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Take a small "Pack Towel"

001661974_blue_200.jpg

These take up very little space and soak up an awful lot of sweat, but dry quickly.

Also if at work you can wash and dry with one of these.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I sweat a lot too when I'm pushing the pace. In current kind of weather I'm commuting in a long-sleeve merino base layer - no second layer on top. It has to be pretty cold before I need to add another layer and that would generally be something thin and wind proof.

I think you are over-dressing if you are working hard.
  • put that up your pipe and smoke it, Mr Chud !!

ok, I apologise, I was wrong. and yet, despite this info, I myself, being the fittest on my rugby team actually sweat the most??? I have no explanation, and I was just using personal experience and trying to make sense of it...sorry to have offended you Mr PhilofCas.

Andy
  • Jonah2940 wrote:
    Done a bit of reading:

At the same time, the sweat glands increase their output and thus cool the body during sweat evaporation.

I posted a thread a while ago about why I thought base layers that transport sweat away from your skin would be a disadvantage to keeping you cool (I know now a base layer is supposed to keep you warm :oops:). But my argument was that sweat evaporation requires energy which comes from the surface temperature of your skin thus is has a cooling effect.

If you wear a single layer and get hot enough to sweat on a cold day then when you stop riding you might be able to see steam rising from your shoulders.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Chris5150 wrote:
    As much as Id like to agree with the you sweat more when you get fitter reasoning, I find that hard to believe.
    Surely the fitter you get the less effort it is to do the same level of exercise so therefore your body is not working as hard therefore temperature rise is lower & sweating is lower.

That all depends upon if you only do the same level of exercise, and so put in less effort. As my fitness increased I would put in more accordingly. And, because I was fitter, I could put in more, for longer. Consequently, the fitter I get, the more I sweat.

And the Summer/lycra thing? It's the fact that lycra wicks and cools so well. If you go for a long ride in Summer, you'll come back all salty white-stained from the sweat. I really notice it in triathlons. On the bike I'm fine. Once I'm into the run, I saturated (running isn't as quick so it doesn't cool/evaporate as well).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • PhilofCas
    AndyChud wrote:
    put that up your pipe and smoke it, Mr Chud !!

ok, I apologise, I was wrong. and yet, despite this info, I myself, being the fittest on my rugby team actually sweat the most??? I have no explanation, and I was just using personal experience and trying to make sense of it...sorry to have offended you Mr PhilofCas.

Andy

no offence taken whatsoever at all :lol:, it takes hell of a lot for me to get upset or offended, lifes too short, cheers Mr Chudders.
  • TonyC
    TonyC Posts: 14
    This is a bit like Sweaters Annonymous - yes folks I am a sweater too (and my face goes red which is even more embarrassing).

The fittest guy I know (head trainer at the local gym) sweats copiously after 10 minutes on the gym bike. His advice is ' shower often'!