new £1000 road bike

chris_snell
chris_snell Posts: 12
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
I've got £1000 to spend through cyclescheme on a new road bike and need some advice.

Come up with two options so far

1. 2008 TREK 7.1, carbon fork and seat post, ultegra kit

or

2. 2008 ORBEA full carbon, tiagra groupset

Both £1000, but don't know whether to go for frame or kit?

Or are there any other options. Cheers in advance

Comments

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Focus Cayo (2007 discounted) from Wiggle £900 full carbon and ultragra
    Planet X £999 also full carbon and ultragra.
    Both have a lot of fans on here.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    spasypaddy wrote:
    get a planet x! its what ive just ordered

Imagine the embarassment if you both turned up to a party with the same bike :D
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Gussio wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    get a planet x! its what ive just ordered

Imagine the embarassment if you both turned up to a party with the same bike :D
    mines in black get a white one!
  • Can't get anything from wiggle or planet x etc because neither of them are registered on 'cyclescheme' who I'm buying the bike from.

That focus cayo would be a bargain though!! - bugger
  • Does anyone know any good deals online that ARE registered with this cyclescheme mob??
  • tomgth
    tomgth Posts: 24
    Chris

I originally went with Evans cyclescheme - they were nice and helpful etc – however bike went wrong and no replacement was available. I was then told about the Cayo – I thought “well I can’t be bothered to sort all that cycle scheme business out with another company I’ll go back to evans” had a word with accounts and said “can we do wiggle ride to work scheme instead” “no problem it’s easily done”

Wiggle has a girl there that is quick in getting you all the stuff you need.

Get the CAYO
  • Tough luck about not being able to buy from Planet-x or Focus. We use Halfords and I'm counting down the days until our scheme opens up again.

Spasypaddy - how much is your superlight pro going to cost you a month. I've looked on a few websites and the amount changes. I'm a teacher and I'm not sure if the local authority can reclaim the VAT and thus make the bike cheaper.

FCN : 4
  • I'm a teacher too and I'm pretty sure you get the VAT discount as well which is good.

Tom - are you saying that evans are on cyclescheme?

Not sure I'll be able to persuade my local authority to switch to wiggle just for me - I'll give it a good go though!!
  • planet x bikes do have some select distriutors, sandy wallace cycles in scotland, a few in england. I am getting a planetx carbon next week on cyclescheme as the shop is registered despite planetx direct not being. have alook on the planet x website which shops they use or send an email, they are usually very good at replying
    duncan
  • Cheers mate. top tip
  • Bec_M
    Bec_M Posts: 10
    I also have a similar problem - just managed to get the company to sign up to C2W scheme through Halfords but I'm dithering about which bike to get!

I want a road bike, as I already have a MTB. Obviously I'll use it to get to work and I also want to join a local cycle club too to really make the most of it.

I have looked at the Planet X Carbon frame - but as pointed out by my friend who is a road cyclist do I really want to be cycling a carbon frame bike through Birmingham City Centre (up and down kerbs, pot holes etc...), then leaving it in the bike rack both at work and outside the gym just for someone to lean there bike against mine and scratch it and worse case scenario crack the frame! But it's such a nice bike!

So I have also been looking at the Specialized or Treks - I have mainly looked at the women’s frames but I'm 5ft9ins, and when I usually walk in to a Bike shop they take one look at me and say you'll need a blokes frame (Cheers!)

So what I'm what I'm getting at is what bike do people suggest - one to commute on (but its not a massive distance), suitable to join a cycle club and even possibly race on (if I ever get that good!)

This weekend is going to be spent trying bikes out - so any comments/advise which be very much appreciated and I can hopefully by Sunday stop dithering about it and know which one I want to order!

Thanks Bec
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    Bec M - get a Condor! Can be bought through Halfords/ Bikehut, do a women spec frame (Bellisima?) and prob pretty rare in Brum. See them around in London and they get thrown about a fair bit so look up to the tasks you describe. I'm eyeing an Italia as soon as our C2W opens up.

Can get for 1k with Campy Veloce...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/bellissima-07-19029
  • tomgth
    Sorry Chris

I meant I orginally signed up to the Evans version of C2W.

However, you can get your bike anywhere you like, the contract is between your company and you.

-Your Company buys bike (from LBS!)
    -You sign contract between you and your company saying it's going to rent it to you for 12 motnhs and you will buy bike off them for nominal fee at end.
    -Your company gives you VAT back (if they are decent and kind) and take the monthly amount from your salary - you pay less NI and less income tax.
    -You ride into work fit and healty and more productive - unless it's pi**ing with rain.
  • Bec_M
    Bec_M Posts: 10
    Oooooo looks nice! :D Thanks for the suggestion

Does anyone know if there are local stockists near to Brum so I can try one out?
  • So, it shouldn't make any difference to my employer?

Will it be any extra work for them? -

If the deals are between myself, my employer and the bike shop (wiggle) then why do we need 'cyclescheme' anyway?
  • tomgth
    Cycle scheme are a private company who, as far as I can tell, make their money on the difference on discounts they arrange with associated shops-which is fair enough. They are providing a service and sending lots of business to shops by doing a lot of work in encouraging companies to give the VAT back to cyclists and therefore people getting cheaper bikes.
    No it shouldn’t be difficult for your accounts department – a couple of phone calls and, if you use wiggle, a download of a contract form.
    It might be easiest if you ring wiggle (or whoever you want to use) and just ask them to explain how it works to you so you have all the answers in case accounts don’t want to deviate from ‘what’s been arranged’
    Good luck
  • Thanks Tom

I'm even more determined to try and get the Cayo now - I might have to brush up my powers of persuasion!

They'll probably all be sold by the time I get the voucher!