Alpine campsites, should one book ai advance?

wheeledwidewebb
wheeledwidewebb Posts: 254
edited October 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hello again,

now that I have rid myself of the obsession of parking my bike inside the tent, I was wondering if any of you could pass on your experience regarding accomodation.

We are planning to go to the Alps in June 2008 with the idea of driving down there, staying in a hotel on the first night and hopefully negotiuating the use of their car park for a week whilst we go touring.

Of course we would book the hotel, but will we have to book campsites in advance? I was hoping that we could just turn up at a campsite, pay our money and pitch tent.

Is that possible or does one have to book these things in advance?

Many thanks in advance to all advice offered.

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    In June there is generally no problem just turning up. I've never booked and never had a problem. In late May/early June you may find that campsites are only just opened, and deserted.

I suppose you could happen to collide with a big sportive event or something (eg pitch up at Bourg d'Oisans the weekend of the Marmotte) and find things full, but I think most of these are later in the year .
    During the Tour (July) close to the route, and after the Tour (late July/August) elsewhere, you may wish to book if there's a group of you, but generally a couple of cyclists and a small tent can be squeezed in on even sites that say they are full.
  • Agree with andrew_s. Almost all the French still take their holidays in August, and there is plenty of choice, so, unless there is a particular event on, you're unlikely to have any problems outside of that month.
  • Never booked never had a problem, even when they are full a tent and a bike, they have always found a place, ok it might not be the best pitch, I usually arrive late leave early and have just come for the showers and washing clothes and bike, so I do not usually do campsite, unless I want to visit a place near by and leave my stuff on site.
    Glad you got the bike out of the tent number out of your head, its not really workable. if you are still worried about it, it will take you a dozen sleepouts to get use to having our bike out of site and out of mind then I would suggest from Liddle, you have to keep an eye out as these items come and go 2 x in a year. They sell motion detectors. Place your bike chained up to a tree, the tent facing the bike and the detector facing the bike. Anything moves within 30 feet it will go off. It has a 180 degree coverage and 2 types of alarm, one type is a warning type of sound, the other is a bleeb gentle on and off till you deactivate it. Worth having, i usually wild camp and this little gadget is great to have.