Castleton - Peak District

cabron
cabron Posts: 16
Am off to Castleton this weekend with the MTB, but I'm thinking of slinging the road bike in the car as well for a morning ride on Sunday. Has anyone got a good 3 hour loop from Castleton, preferably taking in Winnat's as a climb, but maybe not straight from cold! I know the area well on a MTB, but this will be my first foray on the tarmac, and guidance on good roads / roads to avoid would be appreciated.

Cheers, Nick

Comments

• bigmug
    bigmug Posts: 58
    I live in Hope Valley so know it well.I guess it depends whether you are content to mix busier roads with lanes - or just want lanes - I find traffic on Sunday round here quite civilised cos its mainly people having a day out.

Here goes: Down the valley from Castleton to Hathersage (trust you have map?) - easy few miles to get you going. Turn right Opp George Hotel to Grindleford, then right at T juction towards Carver. 1 mile on turn left into lane by cottage on corner and follow road over bridge (R Derwent) then right after bridge and straight on across main road. fork right and regain R Derwent by Bridge Pub )sorry about pub navigation!). Left on to main A623 to Baslow. Go across mini-roundabout in Baslow and right at larger r'about towards Chatsworth, pass Bakewell right turn turn then take next right to Pilsley. Up and through little village and right at Pilsley school. Turn left onto A619 and immediately right to A6020, across r'about under bridge and up to right turn to B6465. Carry on this road through Great and Little Longstone to Monsal Head (pub and cafe and great view) Across junction and by cafe down Mosal Hill climb to valley bottom - and then up again through Cressbrook (NOT THE 1 IN 5 OPTION PLEASE). A few miles up and down brings you to Litton where you turn left and then first right out of village, right again at top of hill takes you down to a staggered junction where you meet the A623 (again) turn right and immediately a double left (small lane between Anchor pub and its car park). Don't leave this road for around 3 miles - it will drop you into Castleton via a very steep and exhilarating (down) hill. Thats 2 hours - if you want a 3rd hour it will extend. Ask
  • Go to bikely.com and type in 'castleton' - you'll get loads of road and off road. Mine is http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Castleton-loop but you won't want all of it..
    Briceyinstockport