Shims for Tiagra levers

dphall57
dphall57 Posts: 17
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Can anybody give advice please? I have Tiagra levers on my Focus and my hands are too small to reach them comfortably. I have heard there are shims available I could fit to bring the levers nearer to the bars but I can't find anyone who sells them. Does anybody know where I could get them from please.

Comments

• Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    There are 4 degree and 8 degree shims 'available'.

We bought a Specialized recently and they came with the bike - in the plastic bag with all the other bits and pieces, reflectors etc.. I fitted the 8 degree shims and very effective they are too.

Sorry, but I've no idea where to get them from though..
  • lowe
    lowe Posts: 61
    I have been looking for these for a while - I also have very small hands. You can easily find Dura Ace and Ultegra shims on various internet sites but I am unable to find the Tiagra ones. I changed my bars to womans specific ones to reduce the reach but it is still a stretch.
  • Might be worth trying the whichever specialized slim shims you can find. They're only a cheap bit of plastic that could easily be trimmed/bodged to fit your tiagra levers. And if they don't work, it's only 4 quid wasted.
    I've only used the 105/Ultegra shims and you'd be amazed at how basic they are (they do the job though)
  • Where do you get the 105/ultegra ones?
  • lowe
    lowe Posts: 61
    If you do a google search for specialized slim shim several sites come up, e.g.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 180m007277
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    star_rover wrote:
    Might be worth trying the whichever specialized slim shims you can find. They're only a cheap bit of plastic that could easily be trimmed/bodged to fit your tiagra levers. And if they don't work, it's only 4 quid wasted.
    I've only used the 105/Ultegra shims and you'd be amazed at how basic they are (they do the job though)

Yes - I bodged some specialized wedges(from Edinburgh bike co-op) to fit my R600 brake levers. Work brilliantly. Cut to size with sharp knife, use superglue. You might need to adjust cables a bit but this wasn't a problem. Brings the levers comfortably close for normal riding on hoods/drops. But still a cramp problem on long alpine descents so am looking for further help by adjusting /changing bars over the winter.
    (You could easily cut a wine cork or similar to shape too, paint it black etc if you're feeling very skint!)
  • Sometimes they're only listed as Ultegra shims, but they do fit 105 (and says so on the packaging.
  • star_rover wrote:
    Might be worth trying the whichever specialized slim shims you can find. They're only a cheap bit of plastic that could easily be trimmed/bodged to fit your tiagra levers. And if they don't work, it's only 4 quid wasted.

Yes - I bodged some specialized wedges(from Edinburgh bike co-op) to fit my R600 brake levers. Work brilliantly. Cut to size with sharp knife, use superglue. You might need to adjust cables a bit but this wasn't a problem. Brings the levers comfortably close for normal riding on hoods/drops. But still a cramp problem on long alpine descents so am looking for further help by adjusting /changing bars over the winter.
    (You could easily cut a wine cork or similar to shape too, paint it black etc if you're feeling very skint!)

Are the R600 the short reach levers? I nearly bought some of those for my wife's bike but tried the shims and they seemed to have done the job for a lot less money. Also swapped the bar for a shallow drop type (Pro PLT compact) and it's made the world of difference. So impressed I'm thinking of getting one for myself (have wee hands as well).
  • Many thanks for your help. I have ordered some 105 shims and hopefully will be able to make them fit.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    dphall57 wrote:
    Many thanks for your help. I have ordered some 105 shims and hopefully will be able to make them fit.

I fyou don't make them fit you clearly didn't watch enough Blue Peter as a child :wink: