Nice bike, shame about the rider

WaterMelon
WaterMelon Posts: 5
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Four months in, three times a week (12 miles) on a Fuji single speed I'm hooked and looking for something more suitable for longer rides (more suitable for me that is). I seem incapable of selling/trading in (I still have my Raleigh from twenty years ago in the garage) so I want to buy a bike for the years, rather than a couple of years, ahead. Is buying a bike so much better than the rider simply not the "done" thing and should I, therefore, not buy the £1500 bike until I can really use the £1500 bike ?

Comments

• If you can afford the £1500 bike who's to say you shouldn't buy it? Probably people who would like a £1500 bike but can't afford it! OK, so a fully tricked out Time Trial effort with disk wheels and aero helmet just for nipping down the shops might be a little over the top but hey, if that's what floats your boat.

In my less than expert opinion, for what it's worth, go for it and enjoy it.
    There's always one more idiot than you bargained for.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    If you can, go for it! You have to expect to have people shaking their heads a little because they think (or know) they could outrun you anytime yet can't afford such a bike. But that's just jealousy, and you'll encounter that at many other points in your life.

I do admit to sometimes giving out a sigh when I pass someone riding a top-notch Colnago all decked out in Assos kit, But it is in no way a judgement of the rider. I'd be just as envious of the guy with the same kit making me eat his dust.

Besides, having a really cool ride you really love will only get you out on the road more often and accelerate your progression. And buying an £800 bike now and then a £1500 bike once you "can use it" hardly seems like an economically sound proposition. Go for it!
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    All my bikes are way more competent than me, and that includes the freebie I got from freecycle :lol:

Go for it, enjoy it, and post pictures :wink:

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    WaterMelon wrote:
    Is buying a bike so much better than the rider simply not the "done" thing and should I, therefore, not buy the £1500 bike until I can really use the £1500 bike ?

I'm new(ish) to cycling and I'm looking at getting a bike for about £1500, and I've decided to wait until next Spring.

My reasons for this are:
    1. I want to improve my bike handling skills and fitness - still getting used to clipless pedals and don't want to trash a decent bike.
    2. If I bought it now I wouldn't be able to resist riding it through the winter - and probably trashing it.
    3. I'm spending my third year of University doing an industrial placement - and at the end of it I'll have 3 summer months able to cycle on a new bike.
    4. I haven't yet got enough money.

I'm still quite slow at cycling, and along with the reasons above, I want to get my speed up on the heavy bike, and prove to myself that I'll stick with cycling for the longterm.

If you want a bike I don't think you need to be "good enough" to ride it. It's your money, it's what you enjoy, if I won the lottery I know that I'd go out and buy a pro peloton standard bike. Personal choice in the end, I reckon a good bike is money better spent than buying an overly expensive car that you don't need.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    Get it! 8)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    do it otherwise you'll buy a cheaper bike and regret it. You'll be thinking i wish id got the better more expensive bike.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    WaterMelon wrote:
    Four months in, three times a week (12 miles) on a Fuji single speed I'm hooked and looking for something more suitable for longer rides (more suitable for me that is). I seem incapable of selling/trading in (I still have my Raleigh from twenty years ago in the garage) so I want to buy a bike for the years, rather than a couple of years, ahead. Is buying a bike so much better than the rider simply not the "done" thing and should I, therefore, not buy the £1500 bike until I can really use the £1500 bike ?
    Such reasoning has never stopped people (men usually) buying rediculously fast sports cars or exspensive computers to play patience on, or mobile phones that can beam you to the moon :wink: when all you want to do is ring the AA/RAC.
    Got it? Do it!
  • Got to agree with those saying GO FOR IT!

I was in a similar position a few months ago; had been hacking around on my MTB with slicks for ages and thought it was about time to get my first road bike. Went to my LBS, saw the bike I wanted on offer and with 0% finance (a Scott CR1 Pro - for exactly the same as you want to spend, incidentally), agonised over whether to get it for a few hours and then did.

Best £ I ever spent - I love it! Racked up loads of miles on some fantastic rides round the Dales and am improving fast.

Do it - you won't regret it!
  • fatfreddy
    fatfreddy Posts: 332
    WaterMelon wrote:
    . Is buying a bike so much better than the rider simply not the "done" thing and should I, therefore, not buy the £1500 bike until I can really use the £1500 bike ?

sounds like you're asking permission. You have permission.

I have a £1000 guitar that I can't play. But I enjoy it much more than the £150 guitar I also can't play.

ff
  • L60N
    L60N Posts: 223
    Im learning on a £375 Taylor, sounds sscweeeet :P
  • BUY IT, BUY IT!

You'll be amazed at how much more often you'll go out

I went mad one afternoon whilst out shopping without the missus, and bought myself a beautiful red & white Look. I can 't keep my Ass off it.

Funnily enough I never got the horn quite as much for my old Trek 1000, which I still think is a great bike incidently.

If you can afford it me old fruit, fill ya boots.

Anyone who says otherwise is simply a green eyed monster.!!!!!
    weight.png
  • Everyone is right..GET IT. You know you want to.

Look, if you need it to be rationalised, here we go...With a nice bike you'll cycle more and grow into it. There, that makes sense doesn't it.
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • WaterMelon wrote:
    Such reasoning has never stopped people (men usually) buying rediculously fast sports cars or exspensive computers to play patience on, or mobile phones that can beam you to the moon :wink: when all you want to do is ring the AA/RAC.
    Got it? Do it!

what she (lady with the unpronouncable name!) said.

And half the drivers of fast cars have no idea of how to use them properly, but (safety issues aside before this gets dragged into soapbox) that does not preclude them ownership.
  • Panter wrote:
    All my bikes are way more competent than me, and that includes the freebie I got from freecycle :lol:

Go for it, enjoy it, and post pictures :wink:

Cheers

Chris :)

Panter, why no photo? The one on the "other" forum is nice! I'm sre you've been asked before but is it you?

Chris (another one)
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • Thanks for the replies - I'll be heading for the shops this weekend (before my wife realises she made a big mistake when she said I could get a new bike without mentioning an upper price limit).
  • dudi
    dudi Posts: 36
    just get it if you can afford it!

I wish I could...

I ride a £300 bike, but it is my first road bike, and i am fairly slow, and I am skint... so I have an excuse.

If you can afford it, do you have a decent enough excuse not to ride a nice bike?
  • I just spent £3000 on a bike. I had those fellings of "punching above my weight" but the bike is brilliant, fits better, rides better, 2.5lbs lighter than my old bike, flys up hill - it;s just worth the money. Do it without hesitation. It's worth is for those "nice bike mate" comments alone
  • get a cheap one, then you'll want a more expensive one, and before you know it... you'll be starting your own collection just like everyone else :)