Mercian cycles - should I get one?

giant_man
giant_man Posts: 6,878
edited April 2017 in Workshop
OK so as well as a new carbon bike, which I polled recently (Pinarello vs De Rosa vs Parlee) I also fancy a decent steel bike. Not knowing a lot about steel, not sure which grade steel I should be going for either.

Mercian do a lot of different models don't they and seem very 'English' (heritage, tradition etc.) if you see what i mean. For a custom (hand made?) steel bike with fancy lugwork etc, are they made completely in the UK? So can you get any better than Mercian? What should I expect if I get one? Does the company provide a decent service?

Or do I have to have a pension before I can buy one? :lol: I say that because almost every rider i have seen on a Mercian is of senior years, so maybe they know something I don't! I am wondering if it's the kind of bike every rider promises themselves upon retiring.

Any owners' opinions on Mercians please?

Comments

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    edited October 2007
    I'm happy with mine and I bought mine in 94 when I was about 23 :D

Edit....things you should expect include really good paintwork, nice lugs if you buy a Vincitore or Strada Special and a bit of a wait between ordering and it arriving on your doorstep.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Mercian certainly still build their bikes in the UK - visit their shop and you'll see the worshop in the back - only the paint is done elsewhere. If you want a lugged frame, you're going to be limited to classic tubesets like 531 and 653 rather than oversizeand welded like Deda EOM 16.5 or Reynolds 853 or 953, for example. Best to talk to a builder who can advise. There are a number of US builders like Richard Sachs, Columbine who take 'classic' builds to the extreme, both in style and $$$. Alternatively, look at folks like IF or Jonny Cycles who take a more contemporary slant - money no object! In comparison to those guys, Mercian are cheap.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I used to live in Derby before I rode a bike regularly and drove past Mercian every day not knowing the esteem they were held in!

I did see the Paul Smith specials at the weekend. Very nice looking, but I didn't have a spare £2,300 to get one with!!! Also I'm guessing being Paul Smiths they would also be classed as being a bit poncey!!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    He Whom We Do Not Name....... I typed P*ul Smith then, but the name changed automatically! Why are we not allowed to mention him?
  • Rob Sallnow
    hammerite wrote:
    He Whom We Do Not Name....... I typed P*ul Smith then, but the name changed automatically! Why are we not allowed to mention him?

:shock: God knows...perhaps you have to hand write his name for it to be accepted logo-F4191F.png
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I had a Mercian - it was a good bike, well made, tough paint. Not saying they are any better than other makers but being from Derby I'd certainly get one again if I was in the market for a custom steel bike. In fact my next best bike will probably be a Mercian but unless I break my Look it'll be a couple more years at least.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • giant_man
    yes I don't quite understand the 'P*ul S*ith' phenomenon myself. They seem to hold him in high esteem but don't know why. What's the connection here? They do seem to lick his ar*e a bit on the site i've noticed.

They are doing a 60 year anniversary model btw made in 'oversize 725' steel, which is a grade I know nothing about have to say, looking nice on their web site but don't know much apart from that. I may ring them for the lowdown.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    My first proper bike was a 531 Mercian, bought in 1993 when I was 24, and that served me well for over 10 years, including many long trips in the Alps, Pyrenees etc. I had it resprayed by Mercian and there's no doubt they do a super paint job.

I also bought a custom-made track frame from them which has sadly been under-used - but I hate to part with it because it's a beautiful looking bike. Maybe I'll ride fixed on the road sometime.

If you want a British steel frame, I doubt you can do much better - but I guess it's not really the 'in thing' these days, hence most people you see riding them are 'mature' riders.

Ruth
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    I'd love a Witcomb

http://www.bikebrothers.co.uk/witcombvisit.htm

http://www.witcombcycles.com/

I popped in a few months ago, was great chatting to Ernie Witcomb.
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    hammerite wrote:

Due to the person of the same name who runs the so-called S a f e s p e e d website. See numerous threads in the past - mostly in Soapbox.
  • You could also have a look at Bob Jackson Cycles and Woodrup Cycles in Leeds.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/default.php

The Woodrup site is under construction.

Bob Jackson has a good reputation and I think one of their frames recently appeared in the comic.
  • giant_man
    God if only there was a site reviewing some of these british frame building companies ie. Mercian, Bob Jackson, Witcomb, Longstaff etc.

Wouldn't that be something?
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    You could also have a look at Bob Jackson Cycles and Woodrup Cycles in Leeds.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/default.php

The Woodrup site is under construction.

Bob Jackson has a good reputation and I think one of their frames recently appeared in the comic.

Still in the same part of the world, Ellis-Briggs in Shipley (http://www.ellisbriggscycles.co.uk) are also worth considering; I was in their shop the other week and they had a very smart 853 race frame at around £600 (not bad given that this included the headset and Easton - I think - carbon forks; I presume it was cheap due to having a threaded 1" fork column and therefore regarded by some as old hat). It was either TIG welded or fillet brazed, but they also do "old school" lugged construction for trainers, tourers and Audax machines in tubesets like 631 or 725.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Rob Sallnow
    God if only there was a site reviewing some of these british frame building companies ie. Mercian, Bob Jackson, Witcomb, Longstaff etc.

Wouldn't that be something?

It doesn't exactly review them but you can get a good idea of how much historic kudos the names have here:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... ritish.htm
  • giant_man
    Great site Rob thanks! :)
  • hammerite wrote:
    I used to live in Derby before I rode a bike regularly and drove past Mercian every day not knowing the esteem they were held in!
    I used to live near Southampton and never knew that Rotrax Cycles had such a good reputation for frames, though I had spotted one or two Rotrax-badged bikes when inside the shop. At the time, to me it was just another small and very traditional bike shop (with a long wooden counter and glass display case) which mainly sold cheap mountain bikes and had once sold me the wrong size of inner tube!

Anyway, back on topic - I visited the Mercian shop about a year ago and the man I spoke to was very helpful and unpatronising, plus there was a great selection of frames to gawp at whilst waiting. Ironically the one thing I bought from Mercian on that visit was, guess what...yes, an inner tube. And they did sell me the right size!
  • giant_man
    LOL oh well at least they got the size right eh TractionControl?

I may have to get up to Derby to the shop myself and have a look, trouble is i might just have to put an order in once I see them in there, who knows?
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I have a riding buddy who is 6 foot 7 and has been known to destroy bikes with the sheer force of his riding style (pedals sheered off, stem snapped going uphill, that sort of thing!) He bought a Mercian, customised to his "specifications". He tells me they were great to deal with, very attentive and they certainly turned out a really nice looking bike.

When we went up the Ventoux together in the summer, he on his handbuilt Mercian, me on my Carbon companion, guess who got to the top first and guess whose bike got all the attention. Clue: not me.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• This is an old thread, but it comes up on Google search, so my post might be of use. I'll stick to facts:

I was being measured for a Mercian when some bloke brought a frame in. He was complaining about "British workmanship". The guy behind the counter was placatory.

My Super Vincitore arrived - a thing of joy and beauty. So I took my old Raleigh in to be changed from 27" wheels and painted. The paint-job was and is beautiful, but I got it back to be built up and they'd forgotten to move the front brake bosses. I took it back in and they wouldn't take my word for it, but measured them before admitting their mistake. I'd waited a long time for the work to be done, but they said they'd rectify their mistake quickly. But I had to chase them to get it done. Eventually done - perfect job. Eventually.

Took my Vincitore in to local bike shop to be serviced. Just under 2 years' use. The bb thread had stripped.

Took it back to Mercian who said the pedal spacers I use had caused it and, for good measure, my local bike shop had caused the problem as well by their fitting. (I've used my LBS for 30 years, and had one problem in that time - which was quickly rectified.) Mercian said they could bodge it for about £400 but wouldn't guarantee it not going again or fix it properly for £1100.

I was not willing to give them any more time or money, so I took it to another (extremely) reputable framebuilder who looked at it, said it was a cheap bottom bracket and they would probably be able to fix it, but it would be tricky. If they could, it would be stronger than it was originally and yes, I could trust it to go touring in the wastes of The Dolomites.

They fixed it and resprayed it for just short of £500. Mercian, remember, quoted me £1100.

Since then, I have heard of two people who have had similar problems with Mercian.

I've stuck to the facts as I experienced them. Other people will swear by Mercian, but I think the time to judge any firm is when things go wrong. It is a fact that I won't buy an inner tube from Mercian - or anything else - in the future.