Recovering from a Long Ride

Gav2000
Gav2000 Posts: 408
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
I did the BHF Oxford to Cambridge ride on Sunday and with the journey to the car park covered 95 miles on the day. This is my longest ride and although I trained for it and completed it OK I don't know how to recover from it afterwards in terms of food, drink and exercise.

I ask now as I've had a throbbing headache ever since Sunday evening (dehydration?) that is still here and annoying me that makes me think I'm not recovering correctly. My question therefore is what should I eat and drink in the hours/days after a long ride and what exercise will help me recover?

Gav.
Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
You'll hear about him ever'where you go.

Comments

• cj504
    cj504 Posts: 110
    Good effort, part of the reason i ride so much is so that i can eat whatever takes my fancy! though on a more serious note straight after a long ride i take a protein/carb shake. after this try to eat a good range of foods. protein and good carbs to refill your legs, fruit and veg for vitamins that hold off any colds and stuff. and as you've noticed plenty of water
    Thresholds, 60-80%, HRM's...I'll just go for a ride
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    It can take quite a while to re-hydrate properly, so keep on the liquids. I try to drink some isotonic sports drink after a really long ride which helps to get the water into you and replaces some of the lost salts. I’ve heard it recommended eating a good protein rich meal to help repair the muscles that took a beating over 95 miles, but I normally end up scoffing everything in the cupboard and fridge.

The headache could also be due to a stiff neck, or riding for so long in a fairly un-natural position with a strain on the neck and muscles. I often get a headache after having my hair washed at the barbers where you have to lean backwards. Completely different position to cycling, but I’m sure it is to do with a strain on the neck.

Anyway I hope you recover soon, and as it says on the back of the paracetamol packet, if symptoms persist consult your doctor.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i cant give tips on how to recover but can give tips on how not to make it worse...
    Dont go to the gym the night after and try and leg press 200kg when the machine is set up 4 inches too high so that as you take the weight off the holders both legs (quads, hamstrings and calves) all cramp up. I got crushed by the weight dropping straight down and pushing me into the ground.

can barely walk today.
  • Chris5150
    Chris5150 Posts: 107
    Yep plenty of water & good quality protein drink works post ride, followed b a good meal with pasta/rice and more protien. After my fiirst hundred I went out on the evening and downed 8 pints of Guiness ant that did me no harm at all!
  • Easy, bottle of white, bottle of red, slap up roast meal and straight to bed.

The important part is to saty there for 72 hours....easy peasy :D
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i cant give tips on how to recover but can give tips on how not to make it worse...
    Dont go to the gym the night after and try and leg press 200kg when the machine is set up 4 inches too high so that as you take the weight off the holders both legs (quads, hamstrings and calves) all cramp up. I got crushed by the weight dropping straight down and pushing me into the ground.

can barely walk today.

Respect. I wouldn't be able to walk after trying to leg press 200Kg's full stop :lol:

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Gav2000 wrote:
    I don't know how to recover from it afterwards in terms of food, drink and exercise.
    Strange as it may seem, the best way to ease sore legs after a long / hard ride is to do more cycling! A "recovery ride" - 30mins to an hour of very easy spinning in a low gear avoiding hills if at all possible to keep your heart rate below your aerobic training zone (typically less than 70% of your maximum heartrate). I also find gentle swimming is another good way to ease sore legs.

Eating carbs within 30 mins of finishing the ride is supposed to replenish muscle energy stores better than if you leave it longer before eating. A recovery drink (ie SIS Rego or a home made mix of whey powder) at the end of the ride will also help your muscles repair themselves faster. Drink plenty of plain water or water with isotonic salts in to replace those sweated out during the ride.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    As well as before and after the ride, don't forget to take onboard sufficient food and fluid during the ride. I used to get a headache after long rides, mainly because of dehydration. In addition to an energy drink, I drop a Nuun tablet into a secondary water bottle. These things are full of salts to replace those that you lose through sweating. Seems to do the trick and I no longer feel dehydrated upon finishing, nor have I suffered from headaches.

If your body feels stiff and tired, a warm bath with a couple of bay leaves dropped in can help relaxation. That makes me sound like a crystal healer :D
  • I second the recovery ride,

Get yourself out the morning after for a slow hour, enjoy the scenery and do not be tempted to exceed 70% Max Heart Rate, even if this means pottering down the road at 13mph.

The idea is to stretch your legs and to encourage blood flow which speeds up the repair process. You will find this advice in several training manuals and its not just something prescribed to armatures.

Nic
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    After the recovery ride, with your muscles still warm, you could also a bit of stretching which some claim will re-align damaged muscle fibres. Concentrate on your hamstrings, quads, glutes (backside) and calves.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I'm not feeling much better and had a 16 mile ride at lunchtime to get myself going again. I now need to plan my next ride, I have no desire to go too far but want to do a 100 miler at some time, I'm seriously looking at Brooks saddles though.

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.