bike lights again

gjack
gjack Posts: 11
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
i am new to biking only just learned after 15 years of trying, can anybody tell me if the lights in the link are fine to use on the bike,

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 333561.htm

Comments

• RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    They'd probably be okay BUT!

I don't know enough about that particular model to give a definite opinion. Personally I'd suggest getting some known lights from an LBS or online. Cateye, Smart, Blackburn etc. are all well respected as LED lights.

Things to consider are:

a) Do the lights have a variety of mounts - will they fit your bike.
    b) Can you get them off easily - quick release clips.
    c) Are they secure - or will they bounce off when you hit a pothole.
    d) How waterproof are they - will the switch etc. fail in heavy rain?
    e) How easy is it to change the batteries - without tools?
    f) Will the front light be sufficient for your purposes - there's a big difference between front lights to be seen, and lights to see by.

etc.

If it's any help I went for a Smart light set from an LBS for not much more than than the Argos price, which ticks all the right boxes except the last one. Rear 1/2 watt - super bright, and front 5 led "polaris".

HTH - Rufus.
  • gjack
    thanks for your help will go and find a lbs near me to see if i can get some better quality lights
  • gjack

Those Argos lights will allow you to been seen and with reasonable battery life. However, the headlight will not shine a beam on the road/trail ahead. These lights allow you to be seen but not to see by.

Bye far the most popular headlight sets at reasonable cost is the Smart BL201. They will light up the road ahead and allow you to see quite well. The easiest/cheapest place to get get is on-line, on eBay from St.John Street Cycles in a auction or Buy-it-Now like: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SMART-RECHARGEABL ... 0156568173

They have others if you search their eBay Shop. There are other 10-15 watt lighting systems in the £30 to £600 range.
  • gjack
    thanks will try and get some of e-bay now
  • SJSC normally do them Buy-it-Now at £29.95 but on eBay they charge £8.50 shipping by Parcelforce. You can buy them for about the same price on their website and postage is about £3.00 less!

Beware of the twin 6 Watt version and the 10 + 2.4 watt versions. The latter is great for in town use on 2.4 watt with 10 Watts or both available for occasional trips into unlit areas. I tried the 6 + 6 Watt version and found them barely adequate for dark country lanes with pot-holes etc. I could only travel at 8-10 MPH as the beam only reached 15-20ft ahead. I guess it depends on where you will be going and how long a ride?
  • Will you be spending much / any time on unlit roads after dark, gjack? If not, I wouldn't go too overboard with the lights - mine aren't good enough to see by, but then I never need them to be.

I would recommend two lights at each end, one steady and one flashing. The flashing light catches people's attention, but is hard to judge speed and distance by; that's what the steady light's for... This had the added advantage of still being lit if one of your lights unexpectedly packs in mid-ride!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • This Months Cycling Plus Magazine has a revue of front and back lights ...
  • Can't recomend a front light, as it depends on what you will use it for. However for your rear light check out Smart - Superflash (1/2 watt LED) at your LBS..... one word: blinding 8)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I second the post above. The Smart 1/2 watt Superflash LED is FANTASTIC!! for the money. Highly recommend it!
  • gjack
    there is only 1 unlit road on my travel route i have ordered of them sjs cycles, should i need the wider bracket for my road bike.
  • The standard bracket fits all my bikes.