Surveillance Society?

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited October 2007 in Campaign
We are often told we are subject of CCTV footage almost everywhere we go especially in urban areas.

Is this really the case?

I ask that as we are also told that something like 1/3 - 1/2 of all RTas involve hit and run incidents. The police seem unable to find drivers of such vehicles.

now if we are under such surveillance as we are led to believe, then how come the police can't trace these motorists- it would be very easy to do and produce a much increased sanction detection rate and increase the Offences Brought to Justice (OBTJ) figure that all police forces are measured on

Could it be that we are not as much watched as we are lead to believe?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• I think the daily mail brigade whip it up out of all proportion. I can't really see the harm in cctv in public places.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I think a lot of the time the quality of the pictures are to blame. I've worked in TV post production for years and I have often had the police showing up asking whether their CCTV footage can be improved. I have even seen CCTV footage from inside a police station, where the police officers involved in a scuffle couldn't identify themselves, as the footage was so poor!!!
  • I think the UK has about 25% of the World's CCTV cameras. :idea:
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Ratkilla
    Ratkilla Posts: 230
    Think surveillance ain't so bad?

Have a look at this little beauty

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.htm ... page_id=34 :cry:
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    "Your phone calls are no longer private" = "Phone companies to carry on logging numbers, times and lengths of phone calls"

What was that about the Daily Mail brigade? ;)
  • Ratkilla
    Ratkilla Posts: 230
    What was that about the Daily Mail brigade?

Oh do you mean about being selective and twisting the facts in order to have a cheap shot?! :D
  • 650+ bodies being allowed to access the data is too many, the scope for leaks is huge.
    I've no problems with poilce & National security services having access, it's what's help track down a lot of criminals, including those responsible for some of the terrorist bombings in Northern Ireland.
    As to the use of some of these cameras, looking at the footage shown on the likes of Crimewatch UK, the quality is so bad on some, it can't be much use.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    spen666 wrote:
    We are often told we are subject of CCTV footage almost everywhere we go especially in urban areas.

I ask that as we are also told that something like 1/3 - 1/2 of all RTas involve hit and run incidents. The police seem unable to find drivers of such vehicles.

A. The reason most drivers are not found is because the vehicles are not registered to the person driving them. They will come up on PNC as Previous Keeper Details only.
    The vehicles details will be placed on the "ANPR" (Automatic number plate recognition) system. However proving the person was driving the vehicle at the time of the accident is nigh on impossible.
    There are so many unregistered or uninsured cars on our roads it is impossible to catch all offenders. On top of this foriegn registered vehicles are not traceable on PNC.
    And no we do not have as muich coverage on CCTV as we are led to believe.
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Mithras wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

A. The reason most drivers are not found is because the vehicles are not registered to the person driving them. They will come up on PNC as Previous Keeper Details only.
    The vehicles details will be placed on the "ANPR" (Automatic number plate recognition) system. However proving the person was driving the vehicle at the time of the accident is nigh on impossible.
    There are so many unregistered or uninsured cars on our roads it is impossible to catch all offenders. On top of this foriegn registered vehicles are not traceable on PNC.
    And no we do not have as muich coverage on CCTV as we are led to believe.

My post was not meant in any way as a criticism of the police, but more a comment about how we are duped into believing there is more surveillance than there actually is
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666