rrsodl
rrsodl Posts: 486
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
To me they seem to be the same but I might be wrong, hence the question :lol:

Rick

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    There are various types of "road" bike intended for various purposes - for instance a bike designed for audax (long distance non-competitive organised events) will probably have mudguard clearance, mounting points for a rear rack and a wide spread of gears, yet at first glance it might look like a "racer" because it has drop handlebars. However it is certainly not ideal for racing on because it's weight and handling characteristics would make it a bit sluggish.

An all out "racer" will generally be lightweight, shorter wheel base and aggressive frame angles (angle of the head tube and seat tube) which will make the bike more responsive but also a harsher ride and more twitchy ride which are not ideal if you were planning to ride long distances.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Biggest difference is price.

A genuine racing bike is going to be upwards of £4,000

A road bike can start at £400!

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    You don't need to spend £4000 on a bike to race on it - leave that for the pros who don't dip in their own pockets.

You can race on an entry level road bike - £400-£500 upwards - just make sure it has the right gearing (triple chainrings always raise sniggers from other riders on the start line of a road race). An upgrade to lighter wheels and a decent pair of grippy tyres will make a noticeable difference to what you will get on an entry level racer.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    Isn't a Racer what you wanted for Christmas when you were 10 or 11? I wanted a 10 speed Racer and, because I'd been good, Father Chrismas brought me an silver 10 speed Eddy Mercyx. I added a mechanical mileometer and was really pleased when it clocked up it's first 1,000 miles (I think it took 2-3 years). As I remember I think I used about 3 of the gears.

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • RedAende
    RedAende Posts: 158
    Gav2000 wrote:
    Isn't a Racer what you wanted for Christmas when you were 10 or 11? I wanted a 10 speed Racer and, because I'd been good

Agreed, a "racer" was what you progressed to from a chopper, and as a mature adult its now called a "road bike".

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    "Agreed, a "racer" was what you progressed to from a chopper, and as a mature adult its now called a "road bike".

No, no no, no no.! yes well...

When you are 13 you convert your 1950s Raleigh Roadster from flat bars and 3 speed sturmey archer to drop bars! Now you have a racer. I don't know you kids...

Jim :)
  • When you are 13 you convert your 1950s Raleigh Roadster from flat bars and 3 speed sturmey archer to drop bars! Now you have a racer.

that's exactly what I did! I got a raleigh of my friends dad when they left the country, it was unused, I used it for 6 months with flat bars, then changed it to drops on (cost about 3£ from a market). And I was 14 at the time!!! about a year and a half later(4-5 months ago) I bought my first proper road bike (Stevens 'San Remo')!
    I still have the raleigh but it's unused.

Andy
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    As a teen, we'd never dream of changing to drops - we went the opposite and rode with the widest 'cowpokes' possible for street cred - but I also seem to remember they helped me go faster at the time