Loud squeaking

allymillsy
allymillsy Posts: 30
edited October 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi

Not had my bike out for 6 weeks, took it out for a ride today, there appears to be a loud squeaking noice coming from the front wheel, which done this throughout the hour I was out, when I got home, I put the bike upside down to move the wheel to try and locate where it is coming from, no squeak! yet upon riding squeak returns!

I have mech disc breaks, could,nt hear anything from them, I guess it may be the wheel, has anyone any ideas about the squeak? if it is the wheel, how do I go about fixing it? I don,t think there is anywhere the disc brakes would need oiled, sorry for rabbiting on, I hae no clue on these subjects!

thanks for anyhelp in advance in this matter

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like it is time for the 6 week service.

as it is new the shop will need to give it a once over now that it has been used. mention the squeek to them and they should sort it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hi

bike is 5 months old now, It has been used only for road use, prob every other day for commuting to work, bike is still in great condition, just the that noise, could it be the hubs needing de greased, my local bike shop are jokers, I also bought the bike online, so no chance of popping in.

help!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    how do you clean it?
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • nicklouse
    allymillsy wrote:
    hi

bike is 5 months old now, It has been used only for road use, prob every other day for commuting to work, bike is still in great condition, just the that noise, could it be the hubs needing de greased, my local bike shop are jokers, I also bought the bike online, so no chance of popping in.

help!

well it could be anything.have a read of parktools and see if that helps if not then bike shop time.

it may not be the front wheeel?

could be lose cones in the hubs. missaligned brakes, or just about anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • allymillsy wrote:
    Hi
    I don,t think there is anywhere the disc brakes would need oiled
    disk brakes, any brakes come to that, should definitely not be oiled.
  • Dan.hkr
    Dan.hkr Posts: 68
    could be your spokes rubbing on each other where they cross, because a squeek would only come from that when you ride :?
    Enjoy the simple things in life
  • just an update, I sprayed front hub with gt spray, this stopped the squeak! after I came in from my ride, I had a flat tyre, can never win!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Dont spray that stuff on your hubs, it could rot the seals or penetrate in and thin out the grease! If in doubt, strip and service.
  • nicklouse
    and it always get where you dont want it to go.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Cue next post: my brakes have lost power...

Ally, got to be careful with it, any on your rotors or pads and could be in trouble.