Hayes Stroker Trail

Need help! Any ideas?

Ta,

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as above.

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • No thanks,

Either Hope or Hayes no Formula, Shimano or Avid. Ta!
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    i would go for hayes stroker out of the 2 but if it was my choice i would go for formula oro
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    "No thanks,"
    ha ha ha why's that? because two of the most knowledgeable people on the board think its the best brake? thats funny. I'd at least put in a lot of consideration for it if the three people that have responded think of the same brake.
  • nicklouse
    "No thanks,"
    ha ha ha why's that? because two of the most knowledgeable people on the board think its the best brake? thats funny. I'd at least put in a lot of consideration for it if the three people that have responded think of the same brake.

you missed Sonics :wink:

as he knew what i would say.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • It may depend on the bike. I run Mono Mini's 180/160 ('06 model) and I rate them highly. They are light, have good modulation, enough power, and i've had no annoying set up issues. Look good too.
    I don't know what the stroker is like, but judging on previous Hayes brakes, they are likely to be less dubtle in their modulation, but have bucketloads of stopping power. Even with a 160mm rotor up front, my Hayes HFX-9s had much more power than their replacements. (They also annoyed the hell out of me, needing constant fiddling to get them to run without rubbing.)

So, it would depend where my priorities lay. Power or finesse...
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    no i didnt choose it because it was said twice before, my mate currently has them and they are excellent and it didnt take alot setting up!
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Everyone's experiences are going to be slightly different. I have Hope Mono Minis on the hardtail, HFX9s on the susser, and Formula Oros on my desk (you should see it stop). Joking aside, I've got the Formulas to go on the susser rebuild - just waiting for the frame.

The HFX9s have been trouble free and survived 6,500m of descent in a day, turning the discs blue but never boiling. They are a fairly blunt tool though, with little modulation compared to the Hopes.

The Hopes for their part look good and modulate well but boil more easily, are more prone to squealing and are less powerful.

I'm told the Oro's are the best of both worlds but I haven't been able to try them too hard yet as the PC will fall off.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • PJPenrouz
    PJPenrouz Posts: 136
    Slightly highjacking the subject now since donnie murdo is not interested in Formula Oro - but which Formula Oro would you recomend? Is the cheapest K18 good enough?
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    As far as I can tell they are all the same basic brake with the following added:

K24 - bite point adjust
    Bianco - different shaped lever and polished finish
    Puro - Titanium bits and bobs to make them lighter.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    as Splasher says they are the same. the bite point adjuster can be retro fitted to the K18's as well. have a look on the distributors site.
  • Dirtbiker wrote:
    "No thanks,"

I never asked what peoples opinions of the best brakes were. I asked about two specific brakes. If I had wanted to know about the opinions of Formula Oro's (which a few of my friends chucked from their Commencals) or any other brake I would have asked.

Thanks,
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    I prefer the Hopes over the Hayes.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    fair enuf, maybe his lbs prefers/ can only get parts for the hope or the hayes???
    i ride a hardtail
  • Hope M4 every time, 180 / 160 floating - sorted !