Mavic CXP-33 / Ultegra hubs

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited October 2007 in Workshop
Anyone (heavy riders) used them for racing / sportives? Am thinking they might be a better value alternative to Fulcrum racing 3's.....

Comments

• Anyone (heavy riders) used them for racing / sportives? Am thinking they might be a better value alternative to Fulcrum racing 3's.....

Hi Steve.

I've used various combinations of cxp33, open pros, ultegra and 105 hubs racing cyclocross no problems. If you've got a good wheelbuilder* then they should be bomb-proof. Also easily repairable if they don't turn out to be bombproof.

Cheers, Andy

*Top tip: buy Jobst's book and become that wheelbuilder yourself
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    In absence of any more responses:
    I'm running Open Pro 32H on Ultegra hubs with straight gauge 3x spokes.
    Front is radial for a more direct feel.
    They're pretty bomb proof and better than my Campag. Ventos, which are similar to the entry level Fulcrums.
    I am now just under 13 stone!

The differences could be partly to do with the different bikes on which they are mounted, however the OPs feel more solid and direct, yet strangely pliant.

If I did it again, I'd have a 36H straight gauge rear and a 28H radial front.
    (The front is a 32H radial, which is overkill).
    As you're probably aware, Ultegra are the lowest spec. Shimano hubs which are approved for radial lacing on the front, although I understand that you can get away with radial lacing 105s.
  • JWSurrey wrote:
    In absence of any more responses:
    I'm running Open Pro 32H on Ultegra hubs with straight gauge 3x spokes.
    Front is radial for a more direct feel.
    They're pretty bomb proof and better than my Campag. Ventos, which are similar to the entry level Fulcrums.
    I am now just under 13 stone!

The differences could be partly to do with the different bikes on which they are mounted, however the OPs feel more solid and direct, yet strangely pliant.

If I did it again, I'd have a 36H straight gauge rear and a 28H radial front.
    (The front is a 32H radial, which is overkill).
    As you're probably aware, Ultegra are the lowest spec. Shimano hubs which are approved for radial lacing on the front, although I understand that you can get away with radial lacing 105s.

HI there.

Just to clarify... double butted spokes are less likely to break than straight gauge ones, and radial lacing will result in a less stiff wheel. But each to their own!

Cheers, Andy